Author Topic: Mom won't eat ANYTHING  (Read 3655 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Mom won't eat ANYTHING
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 09:57:18 AM »
For something like Thanksgiving my kids are a bit picky (they are getting better!) so they can have plain turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls, and whatever else they might like that we are having.  They have enough they won't starve, but may not get the wide variety that the rest of us will be having.

missmarple7

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 10:30:14 AM »
My mother has always been like this. She doesn't do it for drama or attention. If she doesn't like something she won't take it-meaning her plate is virtually empty! I have on occassion seen her make a face if she doesn't like something. I guess if she doesn't make a big deal over it, then I shouldn't either.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 10:58:14 AM »
well then it depends on how much you want to cater to her.

you could make whatever it is that you plan on making, but add a few options that you know she likes. for example - if it's thanksgiving:
let's see you know she likes turkey and plain mashed potatoes and some vegetables. so as long as she has enuf to eat, then make additional things that YOU want to make (like cornbread and sausage stuffing, or whatever). you can even say something like "oh look mom, these are the potatoes that you like".

and then leave it alone. some people make it their life's goal to drive other people crazy. you can play her game or you can ignore her.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Nuku

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 11:14:47 AM »
As a vegetarian who is also a picky eater (in weird ways - I eat a lot of stuff other people think is weird, like veg sushi and eggplant curry, but I hate mushrooms - which I really can't eat, as they make me literally gag - and don't like most pasta salads or cold potato salad - which everyone tries to make special for me, because they know the recipe and it's vegetarian), I say make what you want, make sure at least one reasonably filling item that she'll eat is on the menu, and provide plenty of good bread and butter (most people will eat that and it's gotten me through plenty of not-so-veg friendly meals).

My attitude is that I should take what I can eat and leave the rest alone. Nothing's stopping me from taking a big portion. And even if it's something I don't like, if someone points out that they made something that's veg so I can eat it, I still take some, making sure that the portion is as small as is reasonably polite. They don't have to see that I pick out the pasta pieces in the salad and leave the icky black olives and mushrooms. Or that I make my BF eat the stuff I don't like (possible at his family gatherings which are huge - you can't fit over 30 people at one table!). If your mom hasn't figured these techniques out by now, she really should learn them. My attitude is that it's just one meal.

OK, I have to ask - no onions?! I couldn't cook without onions and garlic. They're a basic building block of cooking! I can't stand 'em raw, but one of my fave fancy fall dishes is onion galette with mustard cream. (Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone," which for me is the Better Homes and Gardens of veg cooking, and great if you want some really delicious vegetable recipes.)

CarpeFelis

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 09:37:47 PM »
I'm not the OP's mother, but I do sympathize with her.  I am also a somewhat picky eater.  Maybe not as much as she is.  But I don't like seafood except for scallops because everything else tastes fishy.  I don't like ham or turkey either.  Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday!  Love chicken, but not with any bones left in - that makes me gag just looking at it.

But I absolutely DON'T want people to cater to me.  It's embarrassing.  I don't want attention called to what is or is not on my plate, it's nobody's business!  I'm perfectly happy to eat the veggies, the salad, the potatoes or rice or bread or whatever... and just leave the meat out. 

If I didn't love chicken and beef I'd consider becoming a vegetarian.  People seem to accept "I'm vegetarian" a lot more readily than "I don't like...".  As if I could force myself to like something and am just trying to be "difficult" to drive them crazy.  Get your eyes the heck off my plate, that's not difficult!

littleoats

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »
Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday!  Love chicken, but not with any bones left in - that makes me gag just looking at it.

You remind me so much of DHs cousin.  She came to stay with us and her parents warned her that she was 'sort of vegetarian' which was fine because we were actually vegetarian.  Turns out she won't eat beef (mad cow) or anything that resembles something that was once an animal.  Her parents joined us later and we went out for dinner one night.  Cousin ordered chicken, freaked out because it was an actual chicken leg (really, did she expect nuggets in a posh greek place?) and made her mom cut the meat up for her and hide the bone in the napkin.  Mommy dearest made several comments about MIL ordering a whole fish too; classic case of passing on the issues  ::)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 10:40:24 PM »
I like this recipe because it uses the Cream of Chicken soup rather than mushroom or celery.  I've had too many bad cream o' mushroom/celery casseroles.  :P

Party Potatoes

Author: Rachel O'Brien

Ingredients:1  can cream of chicken soup
1  bag ore-ida country style hash browns
2  cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2  cup milk
12  oz. sour cream
1  cup crushed corn flakes
  1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. butter

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350F.

MIX soup, milk and sour cream together. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a 9 X 13 pan. Lay 1/2 the package of hash browns in the bottom of the pan, cover with 1/2 of the soup, milk, sour cream mixture, then sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese over top repeat all the layers once more then cover with 1 cup crushed corn flakes and drizzle with 2 tbsp of butter.

BAKE for 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then serve.

Tip:
To add interest you can add chopped onions, bacon bits or change the type of cheese to taco mix, four cheese, etc. You can make low fat versions too, with low fat sour cream, low fat cream of chicken soup, Pam cooking spray instead of butter, and try different types of cereal for added zing! You use a casserole dish (three layers) instead of a cake pan if you want to bring it to a church supper or potluck.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 11:36:46 PM »
I like this recipe because it uses the Cream of Chicken soup rather than mushroom or celery.  I've had too many bad cream o' mushroom/celery casseroles.  :P

Party Potatoes

Author: Rachel O'Brien

Ingredients:1  can cream of chicken soup
1  bag ore-ida country style hash browns
2  cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2  cup milk
12  oz. sour cream
1  cup crushed corn flakes
  1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. butter

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350F.

MIX soup, milk and sour cream together. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a 9 X 13 pan. Lay 1/2 the package of hash browns in the bottom of the pan, cover with 1/2 of the soup, milk, sour cream mixture, then sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese over top repeat all the layers once more then cover with 1 cup crushed corn flakes and drizzle with 2 tbsp of butter.

BAKE for 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then serve.

Tip:
To add interest you can add chopped onions, bacon bits or change the type of cheese to taco mix, four cheese, etc. You can make low fat versions too, with low fat sour cream, low fat cream of chicken soup, Pam cooking spray instead of butter, and try different types of cereal for added zing! You use a casserole dish (three layers) instead of a cake pan if you want to bring it to a church supper or potluck.

In my neck of the woods, we call these Funeral Potatoes!  :)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 12:01:28 PM »

In my neck of the woods, we call these Funeral Potatoes!  :)

Could be either (or both!), depending on how you feel about the deceased.  ;)

Peyton Fan

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 09:55:43 PM »
In my family my parents had a way of dealing with pickiness. We each had one food we didn't have to eat. Meaning, if that was what was being served for any meal, something else would be given to us to eat. If that wasn't our one food, then you could eat was given or be hungry. My food was eggs. I can't eat them any way shape or form. Luckily for me the other foods I can't eat are: mushrooms (can pick them out of stuff), beats (mom never served them because they stained) and liver (my dad's food that he wouldn't eat so my mom never cooked it).

My BIL won't eat if any of his food touches. There has to be distinct space between all individual foods. And for that reason, no casseroles.