Author Topic: Guns in the US--how does the rest of the world view this?  (Read 3377 times)

P-p-p-penguin

• Crazy... but that's how it goes
Re: Guns in the US--how does the rest of the world view this?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 05:29:16 PM »
No, as a non-USian, I don't think that the average American is walking around carrying a gun.  However, coming from a place with much stricter regulations concerning gun ownership and usage, I recognise that I would be more likely to encounter a gun in the US than the UK.  As I said in the other thread, unless you are going to be shooting a gun, over here you are unlikely to ever see one.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 05:31:17 PM »
This got me curious about how the rest of the world views Americans and guns, and just how many people think that most Americans own guns.

I'm in Houston, Texas. Almost everyone I know DOES own a gun.
Words mean things.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 05:33:49 PM »
As a Canadian, I have to do some travelling for work in the US. Once, I discovered that I would be out quite late in a not-so-nice area. My US manager suggested cheerfully that I take a gun with me in case of trouble.

Sorry, if I suspect a gun is has a significant chance of being useful in a location, I'm not going there.

Of course, she was rather taken aback when I explained that I would not be able to carry it across the border in any event. She thought that was rather unreasonable of the Land of the Maple Leaf.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 05:36:41 PM »
This got me curious about how the rest of the world views Americans and guns, and just how many people think that most Americans own guns.

I'm in Houston, Texas. Almost everyone I know DOES own a gun.

I'm in California, a very liberal state with tight gun control laws, and at least half the people I know own guns. 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

NestHolder

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 05:45:04 PM »
We have handguns in our house. My husband has his concealed handgun permit, and I'm about to apply for mine.  He carries a handgun almost any time it is legal for him to do so...and you would never know it unless he told you, there was a reason for him to take it out, or you grabbed his butt.  Mine will be the same way.

CG - could I ask, why?  Not trying to provoke anything, I'm sincerely interested.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »
We own several guns.  I have a Beretta PX4 storm that I love!  I shoot mostly for practice but will also be carrying (not that one) a 9mm for employment soon.  We have a few really old 22 pistols that are pretty neat (the holsters are vintage and very cool).  Two high powered rifles and three shotguns.  No one in our family hunts but our son shoots competitively, so he uses all of them.

That said, none of our weapons are displayed openly in our home and they never would be.  Unless someone asked, they would'nt know we had them.  People might deduce from my future employment that i have a gun, but they won't ever see it unless I'm working. 

They come out from a very hidden and very secure gun safe and only when we are going to use them.  I can't imagine ever just leaving them out on a table somewhere.  That would not be done in our home. 

So, while I think it's somewhat common for Americans to own guns, I think those who openly display them are the exception and not the rule. 
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 06:13:38 PM »
My husband has a few guns.  He hunts and likes to shoot at the range.  However, they are locked up in the gun safes. (We have two.) The guns are in one and the ammo in the other.  They are not loaded and we don't use them for personal protection.  I have a Maglite for that!  >:D

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 06:24:19 PM »
My husband has a few guns.  He hunts and likes to shoot at the range.  However, they are locked up in the gun safes. (We have two.) The guns are in one and the ammo in the other.  They are not loaded and we don't use them for personal protection. I have a Maglite for that!  >:D

That's funny.  We have guns, but they are useless against an intruder because of the way they are stored. I have baseball bats placed strategically around the house for protection.  Not that I expect to every have to use them, but DH travels a lot, so it makes me feel better.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys