News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 20, 2018, 01:43:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Apple poverty--I mean, oatmeal?  (Read 4961 times)

marcel

Re: Apple poverty--I mean, oatmeal?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 09:05:04 AM »
For weight and space reasons I bring dried fruits on backpacking trips in the mountains. I also add them to my morning oats then, and really like it.

And to safe time on apples, why peel them? the peel is the best bi anyway.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Aggiesque

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 09:57:28 AM »
freeze your apples ready-to-go in the appropriate cut and portion.

They may get a little brown if they don't freeze quickly.
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Lindstrom Lindstrom

• It's less confusing for me this way.
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 12:15:37 PM »
Do you have any time on the weekends? My weekday mornings are rushed too, so I make a batch of baked oatmeal with fruit on the bottom over the weekend, and eat it all week. This week I did a molasses/gingerbread spice type oatmeal with apples and raisins on the bottom. It's so good! You can make it with any sort of fruit you want- I've done peaches, pears, even strawberries!

This is the basic recipe I use: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/07/baked-oatmeal-355-receipe-052-serving.html.
lyndstrom - that looks yum! can you tell me if the texture is like cooked oatmeal or like granola (or something in the middle)?

Cicero, the texture isn't quite like regular oatmeal. The oatmeal soaks up most of the liquid, so it's a bit chewy, but not really crunchy like granola. I don't especially like regular stove-cooked oatmeal but I *love* baked oatmeal!

cicero

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »
Do you have any time on the weekends? My weekday mornings are rushed too, so I make a batch of baked oatmeal with fruit on the bottom over the weekend, and eat it all week. This week I did a molasses/gingerbread spice type oatmeal with apples and raisins on the bottom. It's so good! You can make it with any sort of fruit you want- I've done peaches, pears, even strawberries!

This is the basic recipe I use: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/07/baked-oatmeal-355-receipe-052-serving.html.
lyndstrom - that looks yum! can you tell me if the texture is like cooked oatmeal or like granola (or something in the middle)?

Cicero, the texture isn't quite like regular oatmeal. The oatmeal soaks up most of the liquid, so it's a bit chewy, but not really crunchy like granola. I don't especially like regular stove-cooked oatmeal but I *love* baked oatmeal!

thanks. i have *got to* try this!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Aggiesque

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »
I want to try that baked one, too. I bet it's also good with ice cream...Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:23:29 PM by Aggiesque »
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

mandycorn

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 03:43:12 PM »
My suggestion is one of those "how much is it worth to you" trade offs. They sell precut apples in the grocery store, so if the convenience is worth the money, you could grab some of those to throw in with the oatmeal. You'd probably still need to cut the slices into chunks, but it would be a lot faster than cutting up a whole apple every morning.

As an alternate, I use dried fruit a lot when I'm microwaving my oatmeal and I just throw it in at the beginning with a little more liquid than I normally would. By the time it's cooked, the fruit has plumped up pretty nicely.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

mandycorn

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 11:05:03 AM »
As an update, I made that baked oatmeal recipe this morning with nectarines and raspberries and it was amazing!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

cicero

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 04:45:03 AM »
mmmm i made lindstrom's baked oatmeal : http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/07/baked-oatmeal-355-receipe-052-serving.html it's yum! and so easy. I made it with apple, mango and dried cranberry. topped it with some greek yoghurt

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »
I made it too! Cortland apples and blueberries, topped with vanilla Greek yogurt. Delicious!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

shygirl

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 11:07:38 AM »
I ALSO made the baked oatmeal!  With apples and blueberries (frozen, since they're not in season anymore).  By far, this is my favorite way to eat oatmeal.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 09:35:15 AM »
Okay, here's my update: I peeled and cut up the apples into chunks and put them into a ziploc bag with a few dashes of lemon juice, tossed them around a little to coat, and put them in the freezer.  Every morning for the past few days I've shaken a handful out into my oatmeal and...(drumroll)...it worked!  They're not quite as crispy as fresh apples, but there's still a bit of crunch to them and they taste just like fresh.  Hooray!

Thanks so much to everyone for their advice, and I'm especially looking forward to trying out Lindstrom Lindstrom's recipe as well.

This settles it.  Etiquette Hell is the place to go for the best poverty.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.