Author Topic: Forum Retaliatory Rudeness and the 7 Levels of Ehell  (Read 33738 times)

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
Forum Retaliatory Rudeness and the 7 Levels of Ehell
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:47:34 PM »
This is only the most recent example:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=102032.0

Has the forum decided as a matter of principle that "retaliatory rudeness" is a more severe offense than original rudeness or seemingly purposeful instigation on the forum?  It seem like some posters, outed trolls included, are allowed to instigate controversy at will and often without comment or moderation, but any blunt and understandable response is considered over the line.  And if only one post was considered by forum moderation to be rude, why lock the thread? I'd appreciate some clarification.

ETA: Fixed link.  It wasn't meant to single out a specific response.  Sorry about that.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:04:31 PM by Fluffy Cat »
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

Melxb

Re: Forum Retaliatory Rudeness and the 7 Levels of Ehell
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:51:24 PM »
That's a good question.  Is it an accumulation of small, snarky comments or just one controversial comment?  What's the the threshold for this?

ArizonaGirl77

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:52:07 PM »
I see this more often than I care to on this, an etiquette board! It seems that the board mod's have their "favorites" and if you are on the list you can say and do whatever you want but if you aren't, you get called out for every little transgression. This is an etiquette board, therefore, all members should have to use proper etiquette and politeness at all times and not just get away with not being polite because they are a mod's favorite!

Spoder

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 10:57:44 PM »
Honestly, I am confused. I am unsure what you are referring to.

I assumed the thread was locked because a) it had gone on for 10 pages and there probably wasn't much more to add, and b) the final post was a bit confrontational/personal, and the mod involved could see the whole thing deteriorating.

Who are the 'outed trolls' that you are referring to?  ???

*Edited because of bad choice of words.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:59:53 PM by Spoder »

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »
Honestly, I am confused. I am unsure what you are referring to.

I assumed the thread was locked because a) it had gone on for 10 pages and there probably wasn't much more to add, and b) the final post was a bit confrontational/personal, and the mod involved could see the whole thing deteriorating.

Who are the 'outed trolls' that you are referring to?  ???

*Edited because of bad choice of words.

I'm not sure either. For me that link actually goes to one of my replies (#90)--and one that I thought was fairly innocuous. I'm wondering if it's a weird forum function and it's supposed to be pointing somewhere else.

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 11:04:15 PM »
I am confused about the purposes of this thread. What do you hope to achieve and what outcome are you after. No Not snarky, truly curious.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:05:21 PM »

I'm not sure either. For me that link actually goes to one of my replies (#90)--and one that I thought was fairly innocuous. I'm wondering if it's a weird forum function and it's supposed to be pointing somewhere else.

Sorry, I fixed the link.  It wasn't meant to single out your reply at all. Oops.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 11:06:41 PM »
Fluffy I agree it does seem that some poster get more of a pass at what they say on the board but if another poster responded or even said the exact same thing they would be immediately smacked down for there statement

EduardosGirl

• He's thinking about you right now...
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »
I think it boils down to one poster essentially calling a lot of people, other posters included, unethical because they "waste food" by her definition.

And that "unethical" boils down to "bad person", the same way that "rude" does for her.

I disagreed on both points (that wasting food is unethical and that rude = bad person), as did others, yet only those who responded to these claims seem to have been addressed. Not the initial point that we're all unethical.

I don't like to cry, point fingers and say "the mean person did something mean to me!" but lately, I do feel like there is almost a schoolyard feel to the forum, with particular behaviours abounding, but unequal moderation. I hate to say it, but it really does feel like favouritism which, coupled with the random deletions, just has me wary of even posting my opinion on the weather.

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:11:19 PM »
I think it boils down to one poster essentially calling a lot of people, other posters included, unethical because they "waste food" by her definition.

And that "unethical" boils down to "bad person", the same way that "rude" does for her.

I disagreed on both points (that wasting food is unethical and that rude = bad person), as did others, yet only those who responded to these claims seem to have been addressed. Not the initial point that we're all unethical.

I don't like to cry, point fingers and say "the mean person did something mean to me!" but lately, I do feel like there is almost a schoolyard feel to the forum, with particular behaviours abounding, but unequal moderation. I hate to say it, but it really does feel like favouritism which, coupled with the random deletions, just has me wary of even posting my opinion on the weather.
I'm glad that's not just me! I kinda thought I had switched to the twilight zone lately. Glad other people have noticed this.

I have rarely posted lately, just in case I get jumped on. I don't like feeling scared to post in what was my favourite place on-line.  :'(  ??? :-\

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:11:45 PM »
I am confused about the purposes of this thread. What do you hope to achieve and what outcome are you after. No Not snarky, truly curious.

I would like to know if responding to provocation is considered a more severe forum offense than provocation or trolling itself all else being equal.  Because that is how it appears lately and it would influence my posting habits to know the answer.

And Hatstrap, I've noticed the same thing.

LadyPekoe

• Cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 11:12:05 PM »
It has been pointed out--by the mods--that starting a post with "Gee" or "Um" or any of those beginnings that smack of snark are frowned upon, so it's certainly interesting to see a mod do it.

And, as shown, it's difficult to have a thick skin when people lecture or get snarky with you all the time :)  Ask a lawyer or a BP executive. 
I'm cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!  Join me on my quest :)
www.thejoyofthejoyofcooking.blogspot.com

Miss March

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 11:18:14 PM »
I'm glad that's not just me! I kinda thought I had switched to the twilight zone lately. Glad other people have noticed this.

I have rarely posted lately, just in case I get jumped on. I don't like feeling scared to post in what was my favourite place on-line.  :'(  ??? :-\

POD.

I keep hoping the mods will implement that "ignore" feature that they had planned on giving the site.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »

I would like to know if responding to provocation is considered a more severe forum offense than provocation or trolling itself all else being equal.  Because that is how it appears lately and it would influence my posting habits to know the answer.

And Hatstrap, I've noticed the same thing.

Thank You for answering, my reading and comprehending skills are shaky at moment.
I am not seeing this, but, [as above] that may be me.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 11:20:43 PM »
It has been pointed out--by the mods--that starting a post with "Gee" or "Um" or any of those beginnings that smack of snark are frowned upon, so it's certainly interesting to see a mod do it.

And, as shown, it's difficult to have a thick skin when people lecture or get snarky with you all the time :)  Ask a lawyer or a BP executive.

LOL! But yes, I get lectured a lot about my job, and it gets wearisome. It just grinds you down until you have to start saying something, or you will lose your soul. /dramallama

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)