Author Topic: Suggestion - A "follow" button.  (Read 3435 times)

Iris

Suggestion - A "follow" button.
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
A few times recently there have been threads that I have been interested in but not posted in for whatever reason. Since I am normally an infrequent poster (during school term that is  ;)) I lose track of the threads I wanted to "check in" on. As far as I can tell my options are to post for updates or choose "Notify". Both of these seem to be a bit OTT for most threads - I particularly dislike posting for updates as it ties the thread up and interferes with genuine discussions. I will freely admit that the only reason I don't like "Notify" is that it feels (to me) a little stalker-y to actually get an email about a thread. Foolish, probably, but there it is.

So a suggestion - next time the forum will be updated (probably not for ages) would it be possible to get a 'follow' option where you can choose to have a thread appear in "New replies" even if you haven't posted in it?

I don't know how useful other people would find it, so I am happy to include a poll if others think that would be useful.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Suggestion - A "follow" button.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:14:25 PM »
I think if you click notify, supposedly you can get it to show up in your new replies. You don't have to go for the email option.

But I freely admit I'm not sure - I can never get notify to work at all. :-\
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
I thought this was going to be a thread on posters you want to follow - I think that would be a great idea, and a great answer to the whole  "ignore" feature issue.  It's the positive side to the ignore feature, you know?
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:39:30 AM »
I think if you click notify, supposedly you can get it to show up in your new replies. You don't have to go for the email option.

But I freely admit I'm not sure - I can never get notify to work at all. :-\

Yes, I use the 'notify' option to follow threads I haven't posted in. To find the list of threads I'm following I go to Profile, then I think Modify my profile, then I think Notifications... I had it set up before the software upgrade, when there were one or two less clicks to get the list of followed threads. I usually just click around my profile until I find it again. :)
~Lynn2000

SiotehCat

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:50:51 AM »
I thought this was going to be a thread on posters you want to follow - I think that would be a great idea, and a great answer to the whole  "ignore" feature issue.  It's the positive side to the ignore feature, you know?

I also think its a good idea.

There are posters that I am interested in because I find their situation fascinating or whatever. I would love the option to follow them.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 12:01:25 PM »
I don't know.  I'll be the first to admit that there are posters under whose skin I probably get on a regular basis, and who probably get under my skin on a regular basis.  And there are times when I disagree with posters I generally agree with most of the time.  It can fluctuate.  But I'd probably end up "following" everyone if there was a button, because I do care about everyone in this forum collectively and individually, regardless of how close we might actually be.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

StressedGroom

• Mr. Goblue2539
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »
I wish I could keep threads I posted in but gave up on when they got totally out of control or off topic out of my "New Replies" view, other than deleting my posts to the thread.

Maybe an abandon button.

Everlee

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:42 AM »
I wish I could keep threads I posted in but gave up on when they got totally out of control or off topic out of my "New Replies" view, other than deleting my posts to the thread.

Maybe an abandon button.

I second this.  I posted to a few of the off topic folders ages ago and they are still active and show up in my new reply page.  I don't go to them anymore and wish I could stop receiving notifications on them.