News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 26, 2015, 05:55:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O I'm Never Shopping There - What Businesses Will Forever Have Your Patronage?  (Read 68881 times)

mmswm

Apple.  I know a lot of people hate them, but they've been awesome to me.  I replaced all our phones when I switched carriers on November 29th.  In the chaos that was the Christmas season, I forgot to put Apple Care on them.  Well, of course, on Day 32, my youngest son brings me a completely dead phone.  I try to do some troubleshooting, but can't get anywhere.  I go online to Apple's chat support and they try to walk me through a few things, but the phone is too far gone.  They schedule an appointment at the Apple Store for the next day.  So, I go in, and the tech there tries to troubleshoot, but has the same results I did.  Inspecting the phone a little bit more closely, he discovers that my child has actually managed to *bend* his phone.

Now, since I hadn't put Apple Care on the phones, I should have been out the cost of a phone. I just sighed and asked with a pretty deflated tone, "So what are my options?"  The tech just smiled, went to the back and grabbed a replacement phone, bought it back out and said "how will this work?"  He replaced the phone at no cost to me, then went one step further.  He saw on my profile that I own a MacBook Air, an iPad, and had previously had 5 other iPhones all covered with Apple Care, and asked if I wanted to purchase Apple Care for these phones, and that he'd make an exception to the time limit if I did.  Of course I did!  Yay!!!!!

The tech didn't have to do any of that.  The place was wall to wall people.  Honestly, it was less busy on the day of the iPhone 6 release.  It took him a lot of time to go out of his way to help me fix two problems that were really the result of my own stupidity.  I've always had good experiences with their customer service, but this one really was amazing.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Apple.

I tried many other types of music players, but only the iPod is well supported, has reasonably easy to use software, and has the other features I like.
In 2005, I won a $50 gift card to Best Buy and I bought my first iPod there, a Mini, and had music on it within an hour. http://www.minimallyminimal.com/blog/ipod-mini
I replaced the battery myself, but when the hard drive (an actual disc) went, I didn't have a choice. I bought an iPod Nano in 2010, a red one. I loved it.

I lost it over Christmas break, 2013. So, for my birthday in 2014, I replaced it with the 7th generation Nano in purple.

Over this past Christmas break, I had issues with the iPod skipping songs or stopping at 2 minutes into a song and made an appointment to have it checked. The tech hooked it up, saw it had 21 days left on the warranty and replaced it. Within 10 minutes of the appointment.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
I had to revive this thread due to my experience on Sunday night.  I was caught up in that awful blizzard, Linus.  We came back from grocery shopping in the afternoon, and I just could not make it up my driveway (it is pretty steep).  I parked on the street, and my sister shoveled out the driveway.

So feeling a little nervous about leaving my car on the street, I decided to move my car, even though I was having more than a few trepidations.  To get a running start, I decided to go around the block.  Mistake.  Major mistake.  At the corner, the street I was to turn on was horrible.  Drifts and a suggestion of some tracks earlier in the day.

I kept going.  When I tried to finally turn, my car kept going sideways.  I fought it for about 15 minutes, and finally got turned around and on my way back.  Okay, I just came this way.  I should be fine now.

No.  I ended up hopelessly stuck, half out onto the road blocking traffic and half in a ditch.

I gave up and called for help.  I was quoted a time of at least an hour (which personally I thought was so much better than expected).  The dispatcher urged me to go home, since there was a danger of hypothermia.  So I walked half a mile in the blizzard (half a mile?  I should never have left the house).

When I got home about 30 minutes later, the dispatcher called me back to confirm everything.  She was so incredibly nice and understanding.  She described the tow truck and the driver, because she didn't want me to be nervous about climbing into a truck with a strange man.

A few minutes later (40 minutes from when I had called), the tow truck showed up.  Again, nice, polite and understanding.  To give you an idea of just what I was boneheadingly trying to drive in, the flatbed tow truck got stuck twice.

But he got free, unloaded my car in my driveway, and wished me a better evening.

Jennifer and Ed of Garvin Towing: you were such a bright spot on such a horrible night!
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
You should let AAA or whoever know that they did such a good job- they take comments into consideration when renewing contracts. At least AAA does.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Amazon.com

I saved up enough to get a new Dyson vacuum. My old one was going strong after over 8 years and then, somehow, my son managed to snap it in half. Craziest thing! It still works (duct tape FTW!) but I've noticed more dust around the house than usual, so I'm guessing it no longer seals as tightly as it used to. Okay, so, I start looking for the best price on a new one...

There were multiple 3rd party sellers via Amazon (they don't sell it directly) but one, although $20 more that some of the others, said the item was stored at and shipped from an Amazon warehouse, and if you had any issues you'd deal with Amazon directly to resolve the problem. That appealed to me because, although I've only had a problem once or twice in over 15 years shopping on the site, they have always been awesome about taking care of me. I place my order and wait.

Today the vacuum arrived. As soon as my son brought it in we knew. The box was ripped apart in several places and taped back together terribly. My heart sank. I took about a dozen photos and then carefully opened it. There was no packing material whatsoever, the vacuum was just lying in the box along with a small bag of accessories and the owner manual. My heart sank further. I took it out and inspected it - it was dusty, scratched from flopping around within the box, and missing the head. Yep, the actual part that sucks the debris off the floor is missing. It doesn't appear to have been used, but it sure as heck isn't new.

To say that I was upset would be an understatement. I almost cried. I almost laughed hysterically. I spluttered some things that weren't quite words and flung my arms around a lot. I set about trying to find some contact info for Amazon. I clicked through the "report damaged or missing items" stuff but the option was to ship it back at my expense and wait for reimbursement. No way. I finally googled and got their main customer service number.

I spoke to a rep and then she escalated me to a manager. They were both so friendly and reassuring. They both told me (first her, and then him to confirm due to the cost of the item) that I am to dispose of the vacuum in whatever way I see fit as they cannot accept it back due to hazmat fines, and they issued me a full refund. I'm stunned that it was so easy. I was prepared for a long, drawn-out mess. I figured I'd have to submit photos and statements. Nope, one call, and it's done. My reimbursement confirmation email had a link to a survey so you know I 5-starred the heck out of it!
Oregon

LadyJaneinMD

Woot.com

I've had nothing but good customer service from them, even when I wasn't exactly the politest of people myself (*cringe*).   I bought a laptop from them, and it didn't work.  Got a replacement and *that* didn't work.  Sent it back and was shorted a bunch of $$ on the refund, and when they mentioned that it was because I hadn't sent the power cord back, I mentioned that it didn't *come* with a power cord that time, check the last email I sent to them, and *poof* the money appeared in my bank account within days.   They're awesome, so far.
I replaced the laptop with a tablet that has worked great since Day One and I couldn't be happier. 
I've bought a fair amount of items from them, and will probably buy more.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Amazon.  I was having problems with packages being delivered to my home.  The mail carrier would sometimes leave it on the front porch, and it once got stolen (I know, because a neighbor returned the remnants of the box, along with the shreds of the book I had ordered).

So I opened up a PO Box.  It's near where I work, and this is the intersection of 4 different towns.  In my Amazon order, I gave them the correct PO Box number, but wrong post office.  So my package got returned as undeliverable.

I admitted to Amazon it was my fault, and I fully expected to pay a second shipping fee, but they waived it for me.  Awesome sauce!
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

TracyXJ

Agreeing with the Woot!  I love the random stuff they'll get.  And they have some of the greatest customer service. 

I ordered a set of sheets from them and it arrived just fine.  Then I got an email that they'd accidentally sent a 2nd set to people, and if we could please send it back, here's a label for it.  So, I got it, taped on the label and put it back out for pick up.  A few days later I got an email that they'd got the sheets back, and here's a code for $20 off my next purchase for being so awesome! 

Order before that, I got 1 of the items but not the 2nd.  Gave it a few more days and sent an email saying it hadn't arrived.  They replied and sent a second out right away.  A few days later the original arrived and then the replacement the next day.  I emailed asking what to do and they said to just keep both. 

LadyJaneinMD

I have found another company to praise. 
Seatbelt Extender Pros.  http://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/
As I've said many times, I am a rather substantial woman.  However, I can fit into my car just fine.  Unfortunately, a couple of my friends can't, so I looked up seatbelt extenders.  Found this company and ordered 2 10" extenders.  They sent me 7", and when I contacted them, they said they were out of the 10", and would I prefer the adjustable extenders instead?   Sure, I said, and they sent them to me right away.  Honestly, they were here in 2 days.  But they didn't want the original ones back, so I got to keep those, too.   
So I'm a bit overwhelmed with seatbelt extenders for now, but the price is right, shipping was free, and the customer service was outstanding!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
The only Wal-mart supercenter I like shopping at is the one by my office. It is always clean, well staffed, well stocked and lots of cashiers are available early in the morning, when I go.

I had to use the restroom while I was there, and had a great deal of trouble getting the stall door to open afterwards. I finally pulled on the top of it, and was able to open it. As I walked back to my cart, the store manager was walking toward me and greeted me. I mentioned the door issue, as someone who is not physically strong, or tall would have a lot of trouble getting out of the stall, and he asked me to check that there were no women in the bathroom, and then went in and tested the door himself.

That is how to run a store, being sensitive to shopper's needs and willing to check out the problems when pointed out.