News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 27, 2016, 05:39:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!  (Read 180889 times)

gramma dishes

Re: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!
« Reply #1110 on: August 05, 2016, 07:49:26 PM »

Our last house, which we had an architect design had a spiral stair that I really loved.  Our library was a circular 2-storey space with the 2nd floor below grade. It had a 4' wide walkway all around the inside edge, so the center was open to a big skylight at the ceiling. We put a 6' wide spiral stair down one side and it fit beautifully in the circular space and was very easy to walk up and down.

That sounds incredibly beautiful.

Writer of Wrongs

« Reply #1111 on: August 08, 2016, 11:32:22 AM »
I did a walk-through video before we started remodeling, to capture everything in its hideous glory. I've been taking "this room is finished!" pictures but haven't done the "after" walk-through video yet. We're still doing finishing touches.

Sophia, we seriously considered the 1920 house, but it was listed at about $100K, which is on the high end for that particular neighborhood. That's before the remodel, and you're right: the cost of remodeling is frightening.

And GardenGal, your library sounds amazing. Do you have pictures?

Pooky582

« Reply #1112 on: August 08, 2016, 11:49:22 AM »
I can't really call this a horror story, because we ended up buying the house in question, but we had the same issue that the OP mentioned.

We were looking at a wonderfully maintained three bedroom home and loving everything about it. Then, I asked my realtor where the third bedroom was. And I was embarrassed when she explained that the "formal dining room" was the third bedroom. My realtor said it was illegal for the house to be listed as three bedrooms (for this exact reason, it tricked us into getting into the house and falling in love), and she could report the selling realtor. But since we wanted it, we didn't. It was shady, but it worked.  Only one couple ever lived in the home, and never had children, so they turned the third bedroom into the dining room. Which, in itself, would have been fine and easy to close up the doorway to the kitchen to make it a bedroom again. Except, they attached a sunroom to the back of the house, and now that dining room window opens into it. So if we ever need it as a bedroom, that room and the sunroom won't have any privacy!

We loved everything else about the house, and weren't thinking about kids yet, so we ended up buying it. But now, we are TTC and its all I can think about. But we will figure it out when the time comes, since we have no desire to move.

gramma dishes

« Reply #1113 on: August 08, 2016, 02:02:19 PM »
^^^  Oh, I'd love having a bedroom that opened into a sun porch. 

Sheer curtained French doors or pocket doors could provide privacy.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #1114 on: August 09, 2016, 08:15:28 AM »
This house has a urinal in the bathroom. It wouldn't be a big deal to me, but this is a small house with one bathroom. Seems like a waste of space. The rest of the house looks lovely.

http://www.stefaniakgroup.com/-/listing/17819674/5641-W-Andover-Rd-Milwaukee-WI-53219?content_index=5186109&from=FeaturedListings&page=1
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 08:50:26 AM by BigBadBetty »

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1115 on: August 09, 2016, 08:44:15 AM »
This house has a urinal in the bathroom. It wouldn't be a big deal to me, but this is a small house with one bathroom. Seems like w waste of space. The rest of the house looks lovely.

http://www.stefaniakgroup.com/-/listing/17819674/5641-W-Andover-Rd-Milwaukee-WI-53219?content_index=5186109&from=FeaturedListings&page=1

That is a really nice house, I like the wall colors and it looks to be well maintained. However, I would never buy a one bathroom house.

My best friend and her DH own a very small one bath, three bedroom house and they are having a very hard time selling it.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Hillia

« Reply #1116 on: August 09, 2016, 01:48:45 PM »
Years ago i was looking for a rental house.  One that I looked at was a converted firehouse.  It was pretty interesting, including the bathroom, which had not been modified-so 3 stalls, 3 urinals, and the sinks mounted on the wall.  I thought that might come in handy when hosting parties.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #1117 on: August 09, 2016, 02:56:47 PM »
Years ago i was looking for a rental house.  One that I looked at was a converted firehouse.  It was pretty interesting, including the bathroom, which had not been modified-so 3 stalls, 3 urinals, and the sinks mounted on the wall.  I thought that might come in handy when hosting parties.

When DH was in High School, he lived with many other high-school and college aged boys immediately above a trendy bar/music venue.  He is rather handy, so he made the bathroom like that, plus a shower.   It came in handy for the landlord when they were evicted and he added that floor to his bar.  He didn't have to change a thing, except add a women's where the closet had been.