News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 28, 2016, 07:35:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: good cozy mysteries?  (Read 1217 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: good cozy mysteries?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 05:25:53 AM »
If you like 20's settings, try Carola Dunn...

Adding a voice here, for Carola Dunn's 1920s 'tec novels; her Daisy Dalrymple series, which I like enormously – written in recent times, but set in early-to-mid-1920s England. There must be some fifteen to twenty of them.  Very much to my taste, in that I feel they rank as “cozy”, but not cloyingly so. The principal characters are likeable, but with their foibles and “spiky” traits; and there’s as a permanent background, the brooding presence of the recent World War I – most characters have, in said war, lost someone dear to them, and many who took part are in various degrees and ways, damaged by it.

camlan

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 05:39:23 AM »
The Kate Fansler series by Amanda Cross. Upper-crust English professor in NYC solves mysteries. Some don't even have murders, just missing people or manuscripts.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

MyFamily

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 03:59:46 PM »
I apologize if I'm double posting, but these are the ones based on my Amazon wish list:

Krista Davis- the Domestic Diva Series (she has some other series that I like as well, but this one happens to be my favorite)
Ellery Adams has been suggested, but I am friends with her on FB and she's just really great, and I love her books
Jenn McKinlay has a series set in a hat shop in England that is fun
Jenn McKinlay - A Library Lover's Mystery and a Cupcake Bakery Mystery Series
Barbara Ross - A Maine Clambake Mystery series
Cleo Coyle - A Coffeehouse Mystery series
Laura Childs - I saw her other series mentioned, but she also write the Cackleberry Club Mystery series
Heather Blake - Wishcraft Series (only if you like that type of thing
Joyce & Jim Lavene - really any series of there, but unfortunately, they both passed away within the last few months, so I don't know how many more books there will be in any of their series, which is incredibly sad - they were both great writers
JoAnna Carl - Chocoholic Mystery series
Isis Crawford
Kate Carlisle - A Fixer-Upper Mystery series
Leslie Meiers - A Lucy Stone Mystery series
Laura Levine - A Jaine Austen Mystery series
Leslie Budewitz - A Spice Shop Mystery series
Laurien Berenson - A Melanie Travis Mystery series
Joanne Fluke - A Hannah Swensen Mystery series (though I'm not sure where this series is going - the earlier ones are great, though)
Victoria Laurie - she has 2 but I really like the Psychic Eye series
Juliet Blackwell - A Witchcraft Mystery series
Denise Swanson - both of her series
Sheila Connolly - she has a few series
Julie Hyzy - I really like her White House Chef series, but it has been cancelled (more about that in my next post)
Kate Collins - A Flower Shop mystery series

If I had more time, I could suggest some more. 

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

MyFamily

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 04:02:29 PM »
If you are on Facebook, you may like the group "Mystery Most Cozy" - I get a lot of suggestions from that group.

There is also a group called "Save our Cozies" - Penguin Random House has decided to end a large # of series, including many fan favorites.  This group is working towards making sure they don't eliminate anymore.  It has been painful watching as authors who I've gotten to know via Facebook have their series come to an end with really no warning. 

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

jpcher

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2016, 04:35:48 PM »
Ahhh. I get it. I didn't know that 'cozy mysteries' was a term for a certain type of mystery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozy_mystery

The In Death series is definitely not part of this category.

Learn something new every day! ;D

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
Ahhh. I get it. I didn't know that 'cozy mysteries' was a term for a certain type of mystery.

Most classics wouldn't meet that definition, either.

Dr. F.

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2016, 07:15:40 PM »

Most classics wouldn't meet that definition, either.

I wasn't using the strict definition in my request.

Thanks, everyone for all of the suggestions! I don't think I'm going to run out of reading material for quite a while. I'll just have to see how many the local library actually own.

malfoyfan13

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2016, 08:06:18 PM »
Deborah Crombie's series with police detectives Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James was very entertaining for me.  Also I second the choice of Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy series.