Author Topic: S/O Playgroup - Competitive Parents  (Read 3163 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: S/O Playgroup - Competitive Parents
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 09:25:55 AM »
I'm so thankful my mother never got into this. When I was growing up Asperger's Syndrome and other forms of autism almost became, in some perverted way, fashionable due to savants. My mother was talking with her friends when this topic came up. When she revealed that I had AS they asked what my "thing" was. It's words, cryptography and numbers by their definition, by my mother's definition, "He is a child and doesn't do tricks." Granted it also doesn't stop her using me to finish off her crosswords.

Your mother's "thing" is good comebacks, I assume.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Ravenish

Re: S/O Playgroup - Competitive Parents
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 06:22:38 AM »
I'm so thankful my mother never got into this. When I was growing up Asperger's Syndrome and other forms of autism almost became, in some perverted way, fashionable due to savants. My mother was talking with her friends when this topic came up. When she revealed that I had AS they asked what my "thing" was. It's words, cryptography and numbers by their definition, by my mother's definition, "He is a child and doesn't do tricks." Granted it also doesn't stop her using me to finish off her crosswords.

Your mother's "thing" is good comebacks, I assume.

I must admit she does have her moments. Though typically her retort boils down to raising one eyebrow and simply saying "Really?" and letting the silence either shut them down or let them try and fill the space while she just keeps that eyebrow up until the subject changes. It's sort of her one size fits all "Let's not talk about this."