News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 30, 2016, 03:49:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 95499 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #780 on: April 22, 2016, 08:01:30 AM »

I haven't but...losing weight was a huge decluttering motivator for me. Once i pulled out all the stuff that was too big, i still had a pretty full closet. And as I got rid of more and more, I was amazed at just how much stuff I had! I'm at the point in my life now, the thought of buying anything else makes me think where will i put that, and will i actually useit? wehther its clothes, household or kitchen stuff, etc. I've become quite adept at not accumulating more, and in the process, saving money!

This will be mine. I have a few smaller sized pieces of clothing that may work, a few jackets that can be taken in, but the vast majority of my clothing will be tossed or donated. I'm to the ordering a few pair of pants in smaller sizes stage.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

siamesecat2965

« Reply #781 on: April 22, 2016, 10:00:58 AM »
When my Mom and Dad downsized last fall (going to a retirement community), they gave us a bunch of stuff. Included was 7 large moving boxes of Precious Moments figurines. She had gotten rid of the boxes they came in* and they were just wrapped and stuffed into the moving boxes. I've finally gone through all the boxes and wrote down the name of each piece, the year it was made, the serial number, and the mark on it. It think it comes to somewhere close to 200 figurines. Next will be entering them into the computer to then compare online to see if she had any of the few that will actually sell for any money nowadays. The rest are going to our church's garage sale coming up in May.

* Yeah, I know that having the original box will make them more valuable. But most of the boxes were damaged because she bought the majority of the figurines from a garden and gift center outside of Pittsburgh that was selling them cheap. The damage was smoke and water damage from back when the center was torched by arson.

My friend is facing something similar as the executor of a very close friend of hers' estate estate. Only her stuff is Swarovski crystal animals. LIterally Hundreds of them. Since she also has to clean out the house, sell off the belongings and sell the house, and works full time, and helps out with her DH's business, time is scarce so she hired a company to come in and appraise the stuff and hold an estate sale. And was surprised to find the crystal isn't worth much at all, since its pretty common. But as she says, the fact its not valuable makes it easier to list and sell as she doesn't have to worry about is she asking enough for it, etc. Good luck with it all!

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #782 on: April 22, 2016, 10:59:26 AM »
I hired someone to appraise and hold an estate sale for my late aunt's estate, since I was her executor.  Smartest way I could have handled it.  They found things in places I didn't know the house even came with, like the closets in the garage where they found a bunch of vintage clothing.  Members of my family had lived in that house since 1935 (this was 2012) so I knew there'd be a lot of stuff, but the amount that was actually there was unbelievable.  About the only thing that was even somewhat valuable was an antique secretary that had been in the house since at least the 1940s.  It showed very prominently in a photo of my dad when he was 13-14 years old, and my dad is 83, so we could prove it was at least c. 65 years old.  Plus, the estate sale lady, who also owned the local antique shop, asked me if the chair that was with it was the original seat, and my dad told me that as far back as he could remember that chair had been with that desk. 

Lots of junk in that house...plus a few things that were priceless (to me), like pictures of my great-great grandparents.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #783 on: April 22, 2016, 12:32:48 PM »
I hired someone to appraise and hold an estate sale for my late aunt's estate, since I was her executor.  Smartest way I could have handled it.  They found things in places I didn't know the house even came with, like the closets in the garage where they found a bunch of vintage clothing.  Members of my family had lived in that house since 1935 (this was 2012) so I knew there'd be a lot of stuff, but the amount that was actually there was unbelievable.  About the only thing that was even somewhat valuable was an antique secretary that had been in the house since at least the 1940s.  It showed very prominently in a photo of my dad when he was 13-14 years old, and my dad is 83, so we could prove it was at least c. 65 years old.  Plus, the estate sale lady, who also owned the local antique shop, asked me if the chair that was with it was the original seat, and my dad told me that as far back as he could remember that chair had been with that desk. 

Lots of junk in that house...plus a few things that were priceless (to me), like pictures of my great-great grandparents.

My friend, who is quite frugal, initially didn't want to have the estate pay for that, and figured she and her DH could just do it, but as she got into the house, and realized what a huge job it was going to be, she decided that no matter how much it cost, and it's fairly reasonable, it was a smart choice  to have someone else do it, especially since they know exactly what to do, how to price etc. She just has too much going on to do it herself.

Her friend really had little of value; aside from some personal belongings, which my friend has for safekeeping, and will distribute as said in the will, once all is finalized. But the furniture etc. isn't at all valuable, and the house is being sold "as is" as it needs some updating and work. Which all the beneficiaries are perfectly fine with, so no issue there.

gmatoy

« Reply #784 on: April 23, 2016, 02:57:13 AM »
Does it count if you go through an entire drawer and only find two things to donate? :-[ Today I decided, since we have had some very unusually warm weather for this time of the year, I would go through my tank tops and shorts drawer.  Two things and I half want to go get one of them back! But I won't.

In the mean time, I have been continuing the work on the sewing/guest room. Someday someone (other than me) may want to be in there. I'd like for that to be possible. Much stuff out and other stuff gone through and homes found. I will continue, but have to take a short break because I'm having surgery on Monday.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #785 on: April 23, 2016, 12:16:49 PM »
My sister and I had originally thought much the same thing - that we'd clear out the house.  However, this was a large house, and since it had been lived in by members of my family since the 1930s there was a lot of stuff.  So, I contracted with the lady who ran the local antique shop who also did estate sales, and she and her co-workers worked on that house for the better part of a month before the estate sale.  I got the job of going through all the personal papers they'd bring me.  Some of these papers were very interesting, like my great-grandmother's divorce decree from her second husband; most of it was junk to be shredded. 

My sister did help quite a bit in one area:  My late aunt had been a quilter, and had a great deal of equipment plus many quilt kits.  My sister is also a quilter, and she knew how much these things were worth.  We also found a catalog showing the prices of most of the quilt kits, which also helped us in determining prices, as I didn't have a clue how to price quilting kits or frames, etc. 

Elisabunny

« Reply #786 on: April 23, 2016, 12:18:47 PM »
Does it count if you go through an entire drawer and only find two things to donate? :-[ Today I decided, since we have had some very unusually warm weather for this time of the year, I would go through my tank tops and shorts drawer.  Two things and I half want to go get one of them back! But I won't.

It totally counts!  You went through the drawer and determined that , yes, you will wear everything.  I suppose you could follow up in autumn by going through it a second time to make sure you really did wear all the pieces.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Nuala

« Reply #787 on: April 25, 2016, 02:35:56 PM »
After many delays, I got DH to help me bring stuff to the local thrift shop. Four trips in the pickup, plus one carload of books.

Fitbit says I walked more than five miles and traversed 82 flights of stairs.

We still have a lot to do, but DH got a lot of positive feedback from the workers at the thrift shop, so I hope it won't be as difficult to motivate him next weekend.

Lorie_P

• Lorie_P
« Reply #788 on: April 26, 2016, 07:23:58 AM »
I am so glad I discovered this thread! Reading the post have been the swift kick in the pants I needed to get going on my house. Thank you everyone!!!

I am a small to medium hoarder. I have always been I'll easily admit. I still have boxes from our last move in 2001 I need to get to. I was working on stuff when my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and my dad was her primary caregiver. I'm an only child, they were older and lived an hour and a half away. They had their own hoarding tendencies being children from the depression and large families. I grew up with saving stuff for just in case. When my dad died in December 2009 from cancer, my mom was in the last stages of her disease. I found myself with a two bedroom ranch with full attic, garage and shed full of 45+ years of stuff! It took me 3 years of going over there every weekend to get it cleared out to the point I was able to rent it. The last of it is in my basement and garage waiting for me to get going. The first year was the worst because I was my mom's guardian until she followed my dad to heaven in July 2010. Then I had to settle two estates along with my regular life of wife, mom of a college freshman and a high schooler, and my job...Plus Boy Scouts...Church...Yeah, I was busy! I've nibbled at it over the past few years but this year I finally have time to make a major dent in it all. It didn't accumulate overnight, so it won't go away overnight.

I remember when my mom was cleaning out her mom's house after she died in 1976. It took her a full year going over almost everyday to clear out a 2 story victorian with fill basement and workshop in back. Fortunately, it was in the same city. She kept saying she didn't want to do to me what her mother did to her by leaving so much stuff to content with after her death.  Sadly, medical issues and dementia caused her to break that promise. I don't blame her. But I am more that determined to keep that promise to my kids. Wish me luck! 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #789 on: April 28, 2016, 11:16:54 AM »
I might be moving in the next couple of months, so I am looking at some serious decluttering. (less to move, y'know?).  I have car trunk full of fabrics and trims to go to a friend, who will pass on what she doesn't want to the local school.  I have nearly 10 years of sewing magazines that I'm desperately trying to give away.  2 large bags of books went out on Saturday.
My head is just spinning with all of the stuff that I need to do before then. 
And if the move doesn't happen, at least I'll have some lovely space in my apartment!

Well, it's settled.  The move is happening.   I'm buying a house!!   Well, a condo, really.  It's about the same size as my current apartment, so I have to get rid of stuff so I don't find myself very crowded in the new place, too.   Half of my fabric collection is now in the hands of some very happy recipients.  I've gotten rid of a sewing machine, with all attachments, and a bunch of magazines, and I'm going to be unloading some shelves and getting rid of them, AND my daybed in the spare room.  If I need one later, I'll get a new one for the new house. 
I've got a good 4 months to pack, but my head is still whirling....

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #790 on: April 28, 2016, 12:11:59 PM »
^Congratulations!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #791 on: April 28, 2016, 06:05:51 PM »
Wow, LadyJaneinMD, you have lit a fire under me! I'll have to redouble my efforts to declutter, myself.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #792 on: April 28, 2016, 09:24:02 PM »
Well done!  I'm really hoping to get rid of a lot of stuff as I unpack at the new place.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario