Author Topic: 'House Hunters'  (Read 2370 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: 'House Hunters'
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 04:34:58 PM »
A realator acquaintance gave a very funny account of appearing on the show. She received a small gift for her appearance and her clients a small monetary compensations. Realtor was doing it primarily for exposure.

Her clients had bought their house so she had to find 2 other families willing to have their homes appear to be turned down. But of course, one of the houses she "showed" her clients the wife liked a lot better than the one they had just bought. So they had to create reasons why they were turning down this really great house. Things like "the railing is to low and the baby might fall" and "the back yard is too large and will require too much care".  The other house they were shown for the show wasn't even in the area of the city they were interested in.

She said it was fun and as a realtor she received a lot of exposure and new clients. But she's not sure she'd recommend doing it unless you just have a real hankering to be on national tv.

So I just ignore the stories and comments and look at the houses.

Before I learned how the show really works there were a few episodes where DH and I would be yelling at the tv "You bought the one that was the smallest, most out of date, furthest from work, AND most expensive? What the heck?!" Now we laugh and go "Haha if #3 is really on the market for that price I bet they're ticked!"

Ever noticed how they make everyone either kiss or high-five after they agree on which house to choose? Some of them look so uncomfortable. I always thought they just weren't into PDA but I guess maybe that was the 50th take of their "spontaneous" reaction and they're sick of kissing.

MyFamily

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »
Similarly, changing an appliance is easy, they are often standard sizes and if the one that's in place works, you can always upgrade later when your budget permits.  I'd rather buy the right neighborhood, right house, and have to update it as time and money permits than a smaller house in a less desirable neighborhood, but not have to do anything at all.

One of the shows that DH and I watched yesterday, the husband was going on and on about the oven - it has to be stainless steel or at least black, and it has to be clean, because the kitchen is the heart of the home, and the oven is the heart of the kitchen; and if they don't take care of the oven, then they obviously don't take care of the house.  It was so beyond obnoxious.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

menley

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »
Oy. Good thing no one ever checks my oven, it's a disaster that we inherited and I can't possibly clean!

I do think of that sometimes though - for example, when we moved into our house, there were food spatters all over the white cabinets, and I thought, gosh, the previous owner was DIRTY. And then a few weeks later I glanced down and my cabinets were already spattered again after just a few weeks of cooking. I'd just never had a kitchen with white cabinets before... didn't realize how quickly they could look bad!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »
I've heard before how scripted this show is but before I knew that, I was watching HHI with a couple looking to relocate in Costa Rica.  The male of the species would not stop complaining about how he wanted beachfront property and none of the home they saw had beachfront property (*pout*). 

The reason being, Maritime Zoning law has restrictions on beachfront property, particularly with international buyers.  And the realtor only said this 2309 times.

Also, my MIL and I laugh ourselves stupid when prospective buyers look at closets larger than our bedrooms and complain about how small they are.

Now I know these are probably scripted moments but it's still irritating.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2014, 11:42:55 PM »
The most annoying episode of HHI was the one where the new bride from the US was going over to live with her husband in Japan. What did she want?  beige, beige, beige.  She actually said that she wanted a house that was as bland and US like as possible because she wasn't sure if she could deal with all the japanese quirks.

I'm pretty sure my head exploded when I watched that episode

And then there was the episode of Property Virgins where the deal breaker was not having side by side parking.  Sandra's eyes rolled so hard I'm surprised they didn't fall out
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

MindsEye

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2014, 08:21:01 AM »
I think that my favorite HHI episode was the one where the couple from Australia were moving to Katmandu to run some kind of charity/school.  They seemed really reasonable and understanding about the realities of apartments in Nepal. 

Their only real deal-breaker seemed to be that the husband had to be able to stand upright and not be in constant danger of knocking his head on door frames and the like (he was rather tall and Nepalese homes tend to have rather lower ceilings then the Western standard).

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2014, 09:09:04 AM »
The most annoying episode of HHI was the one where the new bride from the US was going over to live with her husband in Japan. What did she want?  beige, beige, beige.  She actually said that she wanted a house that was as bland and US like as possible because she wasn't sure if she could deal with all the japanese quirks.

And then there was the episode of Property Virgins where the deal breaker was not having side by side parking.  Sandra's eyes rolled so hard I'm surprised they didn't fall out

In our old house we could get both cars in the garage and it also had a driveway portion wide enough to park both cars side by side. In this house we have a 2 car garage half of it is full of bikes and a workshop so we can only get one car in and the other is always parked behind. It never fails that the car you want is the one blocked.  Just yesterday DH said that if we ever move, he'll never buy another house with a driveway that doesn't allow side by side parking. And I have to agree. :) 

juliasqueezer

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2014, 10:23:21 AM »
From a purely design standpoint, I would so much rather live in an old house that's been rehabbed by Nicole Curtis on "Rehab Addict" (I think it's on the DIY Network) than a modern McMansion with open concept and cookie-cutter beige everything. The open concept may be more practical for people who have kids that need hovering over, and it's good that those houses are available. Just not for me.

I also like Mike Holmes' stuff, especially when the touches of character are left alone or enhanced.

I just cannot imagine plunking down my life savings on a down payment for a house based on some of the things the House Hunters deem important and list as their reasons for choosing one place over another. The ones who just refuse to look at a place because they don't like a wall color? Please. Painting a wall is not difficult. 

To each his own, and as Mom always said.... "No accounting for taste".

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2014, 10:39:08 AM »
It seems on HH some people need a reality check.  For example, if you are spending $100k on your starter home in a major city, a huge yard, granite counters, new appliances, and a huge house is just not realistic.  Also the idea that if you spend under your budget, you'll have all the rest left to make changes.  It's not that simple, since many of the changes may require cash, and a large loan would only require 20% down.

On the other hand, why do they focus on the color of the rooms?  Painting is relatively easy, and inexpensive if you do it yourself.  Similarly, changing an appliance is easy, they are often standard sizes and if the one that's in place works, you can always upgrade later when your budget permits.  I'd rather buy the right neighborhood, right house, and have to update it as time and money permits than a smaller house in a less desirable neighborhood, but not have to do anything at all.

I totally agree! I'm not in any position to be buying anything, but...if I were, I'd be happy for a couple of extra bedrooms, a finished basement, and my OWN washer/dryer. I'm not all the fussy about decor; I actually kind of LIKE the vintage tile in bathrooms etc.  And I'd be happy to paint, rip out carpet etc. and make gradual changes, in exchange for soemthing I could afford!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2014, 01:07:43 PM »

In our old house we could get both cars in the garage and it also had a driveway portion wide enough to park both cars side by side. In this house we have a 2 car garage half of it is full of bikes and a workshop so we can only get one car in and the other is always parked behind. It never fails that the car you want is the one blocked.  Just yesterday DH said that if we ever move, he'll never buy another house with a driveway that doesn't allow side by side parking. And I have to agree. :) 

Good Point, I think it was more the melodramatic antics that took it over the top.  Side by side parking was just out of their budget, but they refused to budge on price, location, or size. 
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/