News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 19, 2015, 06:03:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Dear Dog...Dear Cat  (Read 236929 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: S/O Dear Dog...Dear Cat
« Reply #2145 on: April 14, 2015, 02:34:52 PM »
Mocha,

While I appreciate that you take your guard cat job seriously, you don't need to patrol the humans at 3AM, then demand pets and attention(s).

Tiredly,

Mom

greencat

« Reply #2146 on: April 14, 2015, 04:55:08 PM »
Beanie,

I see you like my new pillow.  Can I use it sometimes?

Love,
Human Mom

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2147 on: April 14, 2015, 09:11:20 PM »
Dearest Magic,

I'm sorry.  I want only the best for you, but I have no idea what that would be.

Clearly, you are in distress.  You have no appetite, barely touching your food.  At night, you cry and nudge me for comfort.  Two vets have found nothing obviously wrong with you, barring some subtle form of cancer, plus your behavior isn't really that of a cat in pain, but isn't anxiety to the point of misery a form of pain?  Wouldn't treating that anxiety bring more misery in the form of vets and pills? Should I end your suffering with the terror of a final vet visit, or allow you to slowly but peacefully fade like your brother?  I don't know, but it is breaking my heart.

With much love,

Your human caretaker   :'(

greencat

« Reply #2148 on: April 14, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »
Dear Cow,

The plate full of kibble is not a bed.  Please stop laying on top of it.  Most especially, stop eating laying down on the kibble.  That's how cats get fat.  You are already a bit blobby.

Love,

Not-the-mama.

JennJenn68

« Reply #2149 on: April 14, 2015, 10:00:39 PM »
I'm so sorry, magicdomino.  This sounds precisely the way my pretty girl Mehitabel was behaving for the last two months of her life.  The vets tried so hard, but they were never able to find what the problem was--they could only speculate afterward that she had some hidden cancer that ultrasounds and xrays did not show.  She hated going to the vet, too, but once they gave her a "cocktail", she was quite happy and relaxed about lying purring in my arms... and she died happy when they gave her the medication to end her pain.  Broke my heart, but I know that she felt my love to the very end.  Use that experience how you see fit.  There is no easy answer.

Got a new letter for my twin terrors...

Dear Buzz...

Why?  Why must you eat all the food from both bowls and then promptly yarf it back up on the carpet in front of the bathroom?  Nobody benefits from this arrangement! Your brother goes hungry, you don't get to keep the food you've scarfed, and I narrowly miss stepping in it when I foolishly exit the bathroom.  (Apparently, I am supposed to live there.  Whenever I leave, I get serious stinkeye from you.  Why??)

Dear Deke...

You are letting your brother bully you.  Don't do that.  And what is it with your weirdly rattly purr, anyway?  You sound like you've got gravel stuck in there or something!  Very creepy.  While we're on the subject, purring and rubbing up against me and then recoiling in terror when I actually touch you is seriously sending mixed messages.  Don't do that, either.  You know that I am She Who Feeds You, and also She Who Gives You Extra When Brain-Dead Big Brother Scarfs All Of Your Food... Have you no operating brain cells at all?

Egad...

Minion Of Cats

Another Sarah

« Reply #2150 on: April 15, 2015, 06:00:15 AM »
Dearest Magic,

I'm sorry.  I want only the best for you, but I have no idea what that would be.

Clearly, you are in distress.  You have no appetite, barely touching your food.  At night, you cry and nudge me for comfort.  Two vets have found nothing obviously wrong with you, barring some subtle form of cancer, plus your behavior isn't really that of a cat in pain, but isn't anxiety to the point of misery a form of pain?  Wouldn't treating that anxiety bring more misery in the form of vets and pills? Should I end your suffering with the terror of a final vet visit, or allow you to slowly but peacefully fade like your brother?  I don't know, but it is breaking my heart.

With much love,

My family's cat was like this when she was 20 magicdomino, and she had developed feline alzheimers/dementia. Common symptoms include forgetting to eat or forgetting that they've eaten, mixing up day and night and getting louder and more talkative. Cleo used to get upset if she went into another room for too long, because she'd forget where the people were and call out for a rescue. But if you called her, she'd remember and come for a cuddle.
If your vet has not checked, this might be worth considering? If it is, although it's not reversible, it's possible to slow the decline and she won't be in pain or suffering, just getting confused and anxious sometimes like other old ladies.

MaryR

« Reply #2151 on: April 15, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »
Dearest Magic,

With much love,

My family's cat was like this when she was 20 magicdomino, and she had developed feline alzheimers/dementia. Common symptoms include forgetting to eat or forgetting that they've eaten, mixing up day and night and getting louder and more talkative. Cleo used to get upset if she went into another room for too long, because she'd forget where the people were and call out for a rescue. But if you called her, she'd remember and come for a cuddle.
If your vet has not checked, this might be worth considering? If it is, although it's not reversible, it's possible to slow the decline and she won't be in pain or suffering, just getting confused and anxious sometimes like other old ladies.

I second this. Perhaps you might look "sundowners" up. That knowledge really helped me when I was dealing with our old, senile cat. One trick I used was when he wandered off from his dinner, was to pick his bowl up, add a teaspoon of water, mix it up and make it look "new", then put it in front of his face again. 9 times out of 10, he'd start eating again.

gingerzing

« Reply #2152 on: April 16, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »
Dear Darcy and Rosie (and your canine sister Sadie) -
I am sorry.
Yes, I would rather stay home.  I have enjoyed having extended snuggles and you all thinking that you need to take care for me when I am not feeling good.  You all are such good little fuzzy nursemaids for me. 
However, I am feeling about 80% better and I really HAD to go to work.  No, staring at me with those big eyes will not keep me at home.  Those, I may be needing more snuggles later after work. 

Love the one who has been a human cocoon for the last two days.