News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 25, 2015, 10:02:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plantar Fasciitis / Foot problems  (Read 522 times)

NFPwife

Plantar Fasciitis / Foot problems
« on: April 16, 2015, 11:20:09 PM »
I noticed in the splurge thread that a lot of posters are suffering with foot issues and thought I'd start an idea/ support thread for everyone.

I've had plantar fasciitis flares for about 20 years. I'll go forever with no problems and then something will set them off. We went to Acadia National Park and hiked and hiked and the last day of the trip I woke up, jumped out of bed, and almost fell on my face from the pain.

I have a few little tricks that help - when we went to Yosemite, I was really careful to stretch every morning and night and I used salon pas patches where the tendon attaches every night and I did great. I also use Spenco 3/4 orthotics in my workout shoes.

Any ideas/ products that you all like?

viedejoie

Re: Plantar Fasciitis / Foot problems
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 12:01:49 AM »
as a runner, I've had a lot of friends with PF problems, but I never have.  I started doing yoga a few months before I took up running and always felt the two were a great pairing of exercise.  Here is an article a friend in a running group shared recently about PF and yoga that I thought was most excellent:
http://www.dailybandha.com/2013/09/plantar-fasciitis-myofascial.html

While many yoga routines are great for stretching those muscles, I'm particularly fond of this yoga routine on youtube (I really like Ekhart Yoga, I find them to be well explained, not too woo woo, and not over or under talked) and try to do it either right before or after a run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of2spyCtUkw

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 12:27:43 AM »
I noticed in the splurge thread that a lot of posters are suffering with foot issues and thought I'd start an idea/ support thread for everyone.

I've had plantar fasciitis flares for about 20 years. I'll go forever with no problems and then something will set them off. We went to Acadia National Park and hiked and hiked and the last day of the trip I woke up, jumped out of bed, and almost fell on my face from the pain.

I have a few little tricks that help - when we went to Yosemite, I was really careful to stretch every morning and night and I used salon pas patches where the tendon attaches every night and I did great. I also use Spenco 3/4 orthotics in my workout shoes.

Any ideas/ products that you all like?
This is s timely thread for me! Like you, i've had flares off and on for years. Usually, with a lot of resting and careful stretching, it stops/goes away (not sure what). I also discovered that it tends to flare up when i am in need of getting new shoes. (I don't have a car so tend to walk a lot, plus sometimes i walk to and from work so i wear out my sneakers pretty quickly). i just got new shoes a few weeks ago and, combined with rest and stretching, managed to get that nasty PF to go away.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 01:03:10 AM »
I've had issues with this for years. Prescription orthotics always solved my problem in the past. Last year, it got really bad and I went and got new orthotics. Sadly, they haven't made a difference. I've bought several highly rated orthotics from Amazon as well. Still no difference. I'll be seeing my podiatrist again next week.

I stretch my heels a lot hoping it will help, but no luck. My left heel is particularly bad. I've been limping for about a year now. And when I cook in the kitchen, I have to find a stool and kneel on it because I can't stand for too long. I wear shoes in the house or put orthotics in my slippers because going barefoot hurts too much.

Meanwhile, I've discovered a way to get temporary relief. It started with my massaging my heels and grabbing the sides of my heels tightly. That felt good but it takes a lot of arm strength to do that for a long period of time. I went to the hardware store and bought some clamps. I clamp my heels and can adjust the tightness. I'll sit with my feet up and heels clamped while watching a TV program. That gives me temporary relief.

The clamps I bought are Irwin brand. They are called bar clamps and they are 4". They cost me about $3.50 each. I figured that was far less than paying someone for a pedicure or foot massage if my plan didn't work. They look like:

doodlemor

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 01:19:03 AM »
I had a lot of soreness on the bottom bones of my feet when I was doing my walking program.  It got much better when I self diagnosed my gait from the wear on my shoes, and got quality running shoes that are advertised to correct my gait.  The shoes are by Asics, and made all the difference. 

EMuir

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 01:52:54 AM »
When I had it, the cure was to keep a can of beans near every place where I sat or laid down.  Before getting up, I stretched the bottom of my foot by rolling it on the can.  Then you don't re injure it every time you stand.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 02:13:35 AM »
When I had it, the cure was to keep a can of beans near every place where I sat or laid down.  Before getting up, I stretched the bottom of my foot by rolling it on the can.  Then you don't re injure it every time you stand.

Interesting! I've been using Lacrosse balls, but not often enough.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.