News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 21, 2017, 09:18:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 330259 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #1035 on: June 29, 2014, 12:19:31 AM »
I think violinp was saying that CW was acting like a doofus, not her.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Although, I should have known what was about to happen and gotten out of the way...or not, because then the ticket holder would have been knocked down.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1036 on: June 29, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »
The latest in my "I'm smart, really I am." files is me testing beads.  I ordered some beads from China and had been having some problems with not getting exactly what I ordered sometimes.  I got a shipment of pinch beads - all good, glass beads of all kinds - all good, metal beads - umm, maybe not, they kind of look like coated plastic, but maybe not.

So, being the genius that I obviously am, I decided to test a bead and see if it was actually metal by holding the beads over my torch and seeing if they melted.  Hey, they didn't melt! All is good in the world until you take a string of metal beads on a metal cord that has just been in direct contact with a flame hot enough to shape pyrex glass and you grab them in your un-gauntleted hand and toss them over your shoulder.

I have some new, very interesting scarring on my shoulder, neck, and hand.  It was not as bad as it could have been (yay for team appropriate studio wear) but I did get burned during the subsequent flailing and cursing spate that followed.

I am so jealous! I make jewelry, but am bad with fire.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

alkira6

« Reply #1037 on: June 29, 2014, 10:04:39 PM »
I trade favors with a woman who owns a studio - I make costumes and do alterations and sometimes help her with jewelry design, and I get studio time, use of her tanks for my torch, and some tutoring on glass bead making and glass blowing.  I have made some really funky lopsided beads, hence the shipments of beads from china.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #1038 on: June 30, 2014, 02:09:39 AM »
Your driver's license will not pay for stuff at the grocery store (and yes, it does swipe and will ask for your pin number).

Also, The bank teller will laugh at you a bit when you try to get money out with your car insurance card and library card.  FTR, I was at the drive up window and needed to give her my driver's license and bank card.  ::)

Your health card will not work as payment at the grocery store either, I had a lady try to use hers when I was working as a cashier at a grocery store a few years ago, we both got a chuckle out of it!

jpcher

« Reply #1039 on: July 15, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »
Yeah. I feel silly. Not once, not twice . . . okay, 4 times for the same thing. ::)

I did some on-line clothes shopping last Sunday at Amazon. I got a little carried away and ordered a bunch of stuff ;D. I got free standard shipping which said 2-5 business days. I placed my order and when the actual anticipated shipping dates came up I suddenly remembered that I was leaving town on Friday and won't be back 'till Monday.

I figured that 2-5 days would mean Tuesday-Friday, but the finalized order gave the dates between the 17th (Thursday) and the 22nd (the following Tuesday.) I was confused with this (found out that it's 2-5 days after the order had been processed which might take a day or two for processing ::))  plus I'm thinking if the order comes on Friday, after I leave, the boxes will be sitting outside my front door for 4 days.*

So, I called friendly customer service to see if my order could be expedited. CS looked at my latest order number and said that it could be expedited but there would be a $20 charge with guaranteed shipping between Tuesday and Friday. I thought about it and figured that it really would be nice (not necessary) to have some of the new clothes for my trip, and delivery here is usually in the morning so even if it came on Friday there was a good chance it would arrive before I left. So I agreed to pay the extra $20. She asked me if I was sure, I said yes.

Today (Tuesday) I went on-line to track my shipping. This is when I noticed that my items were broken up into two separate order numbers . . . the latest being one $14 item that was being shipped from a different location. Of course, it was an item that I least cared about. And, wouldn't you know it, THIS was the order that I paid an extra $20 to have expedited. :-[ Good news . . . its scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Sigh.

Stupid #1: Placing an order for delivery when I was going to be out of town. :P

Stupid #2: Not checking my e-mails which confirmed the expedited shipping! If I had seen this on Sunday, I could have called back and clarified the situation!

Stupid #3: Not realizing that my order was broken into 2 separate order numbers and CS was looking at only one number (although, I'm not real sure if this was stupid on my part, please save me here :-\)

*and

Stupid #4: I forgot that my friend was coming over every day to feed the fish and take care of the cat. She could very easily have brought in the packages if they were delivered on Friday or Monday . . . So I spent an extra $20 for nothing.

Sigh.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1040 on: July 17, 2014, 09:54:12 AM »
I did the "don't touch hot metal" thing over the weekend. I was dog and house sitting, so in addition to full use of the house, laundry, pool etc. I have the grill. My friend left me both wooden and metal skewers. But I forgot to soak the wooden ones, so I used the metal. You can see where this is going, can't you?

I did take them off the grill with tongs, placed them on a plate, and brought them inside. I then immediately grapped one in my left hand, to pull the chicken off. Um, they were still hot. Really really hot. And since i basically wrapped my hand around it, i burned my palm, and all five fingers. Not badly, just enough to blister slightly/callous and sting. But DUH. and this is after my friend told me she only uses the wooden ones since she keeps burning herself, and I told myself I owuldn't do that!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #1041 on: November 13, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »
Also, The bank teller will laugh at you a bit when you try to get money out with your car insurance card and library card.
Along those lines, the librarian will not let me check out books with my ATM card.

I love my local library.  I go there at least once a week.  All of the librarians know me.  This one smiled at my ATM card and said, "You don't have any fines."  I did a double take, realized I grabbed the wrong card and fetched the library card because, no matter how well they know me, I must present my library card to check out books.  They're so picky. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

mmswm

« Reply #1042 on: November 13, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »
Also, The bank teller will laugh at you a bit when you try to get money out with your car insurance card and library card.
Along those lines, the librarian will not let me check out books with my ATM card.

I love my local library.  I go there at least once a week.  All of the librarians know me.  This one smiled at my ATM card and said, "You don't have any fines."  I did a double take, realized I grabbed the wrong card and fetched the library card because, no matter how well they know me, I must present my library card to check out books.  They're so picky. >:D

Along the same lines, presenting your 12 year old son's state-issued ID card instead of your own driver's license when attempting to purchase age restricted items will earn you really funny looks from the cashier.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

andi

« Reply #1043 on: November 13, 2014, 07:36:26 PM »
put too much soap and water in the blender this morning and didn't get the lid on right. Sigh .... Redoing all my make up 5 minutes before walking out the door not fun.  Kitchen floor is clean

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #1044 on: November 13, 2014, 07:55:24 PM »
I have trouble with my PIN code in various ways:
1) For doors at work, I have a card and code, which is different than my debit card and PIN, but still a four digit number.  More than once I've found myself typing my debit PIN.  Once I even thought my card wasn't working and didn't figure out the problem until the guy in charge of the security card setup read my door code to me.
2) The opposite problem occurs when I try to enter my door code when making purchases with my debit card.
3) While my debit card can be run as credit, my credit card cannot be run as debit.  Entering my debit card PIN will not help.  Neither will my door code.

JennJenn68

« Reply #1045 on: April 15, 2015, 08:10:08 PM »
put too much soap and water in the blender this morning and didn't get the lid on right. Sigh .... Redoing all my make up 5 minutes before walking out the door not fun.  Kitchen floor is clean

Weird... never thought of cleaning the blender in that way.  It makes sense, too.  Must remember this next time I have a daiquiri party... and also your little tip about making sure that the lid is secure!

I definitely need to remember to check all pockets for pens when doing the laundry.  How the heck did that black pen get into the load of whites, anyway?  They are now leopard-spotted, and quite unsuitable for wearing.  How does one remove ink, anyway?  Egad!

daen

« Reply #1046 on: April 15, 2015, 08:28:18 PM »
I have trouble with my PIN code in various ways:
1) For doors at work, I have a card and code, which is different than my debit card and PIN, but still a four digit number.  More than once I've found myself typing my debit PIN.  Once I even thought my card wasn't working and didn't figure out the problem until the guy in charge of the security card setup read my door code to me.
2) The opposite problem occurs when I try to enter my door code when making purchases with my debit card.
3) While my debit card can be run as credit, my credit card cannot be run as debit.  Entering my debit card PIN will not help.  Neither will my door code.

When I first started working at my library, we had 6-digit patron numbers, and patrons could just quote the number instead of producing the card. More than once, I had someone give me a number not-in-system, and then say, "oops. that's my co-op number." Some further confessed to having given their library number at the co-op. (Unrelatedly, this quoting-of-number once led to meeting someone outside work, and my mother (who was with me) asking after they'd left, "Who was that?" I said, "That's-- 77-3289. Ummm... I think her name's Jane Smith.")

Now, they just hand me their debit/optimum/credit/social insurance number card...

(I have also entered my laptop password when trying to log on to a workstation.)

Vall

« Reply #1047 on: April 15, 2015, 08:57:26 PM »

Weird... never thought of cleaning the blender in that way.  It makes sense, too.  Must remember this next time I have a daiquiri party... and also your little tip about making sure that the lid is secure!

I definitely need to remember to check all pockets for pens when doing the laundry.  How the heck did that black pen get into the load of whites, anyway?  They are now leopard-spotted, and quite unsuitable for wearing.  How does one remove ink, anyway?  Egad!
I don't know if it works on all inks but I remove permanent marker by turning the item inside out and placing on a thick paper towel.  Then soak rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and blot the stain so that it leeches onto the paper towel.  Change paper towel and cotton balls as they get dirty.  It works.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1048 on: April 16, 2015, 08:34:03 AM »

Rubbing alcohol, supposedly, but I have a tablecloth that still has our address printed on it faintly from when my toddler (she's 8 now) stamped our address label onto it several times.  I did look up what I was supposed to do and used the rubbing alcohol, but it didn't work completely.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14

turtleIScream

« Reply #1049 on: March 07, 2016, 10:12:03 AM »
Wow, we must be a smart bunch here; no one has done something stupid in almost a year! Except me.

I have two nephews attending the same college. I like to send care packages periodically, especially timed around mid-terms and exams. I checked the school's calendar, saw that Spring Break was next week (starting the 11th), and quickly shipped out some boxes so they'd have road trip snacks, scheduled to arrive 2-3 days before break started.

Imagine my surprise when I saw posted on FB that they are on break right now! Those packages I shipped will be sitting unattended for 5 days or so, and the boys are snackless! I looked up the school calendar again to understand how I got the dates wrong. Turns out SBWC (Southern Basket Weaving College) is NOT the same as SBWC (Saltwater Basket Weaving College), and therefore has a different academic calendar, posted to a different website. Oops.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh