News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 19, 2017, 12:49:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 329648 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #1050 on: March 07, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »
Wow, we must be a smart bunch here; no one has done something stupid in almost a year! Except me.

I have two nephews attending the same college. I like to send care packages periodically, especially timed around mid-terms and exams. I checked the school's calendar, saw that Spring Break was next week (starting the 11th), and quickly shipped out some boxes so they'd have road trip snacks, scheduled to arrive 2-3 days before break started.

Imagine my surprise when I saw posted on FB that they are on break right now! Those packages I shipped will be sitting unattended for 5 days or so, and the boys are snackless! I looked up the school calendar again to understand how I got the dates wrong. Turns out SBWC (Southern Basket Weaving College) is NOT the same as SBWC (Saltwater Basket Weaving College), and therefore has a different academic calendar, posted to a different website. Oops.

Look at it this way; they'll have a nice surprise waiting for them when they get back!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1051 on: March 07, 2016, 10:30:11 AM »
I do stupid things all the time! I just don't remember to post them.  ;)
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #1052 on: March 07, 2016, 11:39:31 AM »
About a month ago, I needed to put antifreeze in the car. We use the concentrate that you add water to. I use the old container, put in a quart of concentrate, a quart of water, cap it up, shake well, and now you have two quarts of antifreeze.

Turns out, the cap is an important, if understated, step.

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #1053 on: March 07, 2016, 08:57:27 PM »
Once upon a time, when DD#1 was DD One And Only, and 8 months old, Dad wanted to go camping up in Yosemite, with me and DD.  Since I couldn't nurse her in the car while driving, I brought formula.  BUT..... the only water was Dad's Perrier.  Oh, well, use what's at hand, right? 

Wrongolio!  Let's just say that fizzy formula makes quite the mess in the rental car, AND smell, AND Dad wasn't too happy with me, AND DD only had half a bottle of formula when she wanted a Full Bottle.   :P  It was quite the explosion....  I apologized when he turned in the rental car.

I've never forgotten that small misstep.  Dad didn't forget it either, until the day he died.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #1054 on: March 08, 2016, 04:01:45 AM »
I learned that I enjoy making my own cream sodas by mixing sodas with milk or cream.  It did not occur to me the first time I tried to make my own orange cream soda that the orange soda still has a base of citric acid.  Curdled and violently orange milk anyone?

AvidReader

« Reply #1055 on: March 08, 2016, 06:40:40 AM »
Oh, the pen in the laundry.   I never check pockets.  I never leave stuff in my own pockets…I never check the pockets of my own clothes as they are dumped in the washer.  DH, since the dawn of time (over 30+ years ago), knows that I never have, do not, and never will check pockets.  In our household, it is the wearer’s responsibility.  So, what does he do but leave a ballpoint pen in a (military) uniform pocket. 

Things didn’t go south in the washing machine…..it was in the dryer.  One day I was looking for an item I knew had been recently laundered and couldn’t find; DH was being helpful with the laundry that day.  Sometime later, I had cause to put something in the trash can next to the dryer.  What is there, but several heavily stained items.  Then I looked in the dryer to see ink stains coating the interior, rendering it unusable.  The guilty party spent two hours on his knees on a concrete floor scouring the inside of the dryer.  Then a couple of weeks later, he did it again.  More ruined clothes.  You do the crime, you do the time.  Another two hours on his knees on a concrete floor scouring the inside of the dryer.  It never happened again.  BTW, a soft type liquid scouring cleaner did the trick on the interior of the dryer.  But the clothes were a total loss.

Luci

« Reply #1056 on: March 08, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
Oh, the pen in the laundry.   I never check pockets.  I never leave stuff in my own pockets…I never check the pockets of my own clothes as they are dumped in the washer.  DH, since the dawn of time (over 30+ years ago), knows that I never have, do not, and never will check pockets.  In our household, it is the wearer’s responsibility.  So, what does he do but leave a ballpoint pen in a (military) uniform pocket. 

Things didn’t go south in the washing machine…..it was in the dryer.  One day I was looking for an item I knew had been recently laundered and couldn’t find; DH was being helpful with the laundry that day.  Sometime later, I had cause to put something in the trash can next to the dryer.  What is there, but several heavily stained items.  Then I looked in the dryer to see ink stains coating the interior, rendering it unusable.  The guilty party spent two hours on his knees on a concrete floor scouring the inside of the dryer.  Then a couple of weeks later, he did it again.  More ruined clothes.  You do the crime, you do the time.  Another two hours on his knees on a concrete floor scouring the inside of the dryer.  It never happened again.  BTW, a soft type liquid scouring cleaner did the trick on the interior of the dryer.  But the clothes were a total loss.

30 years? I think this is a case of he won't change his behavior so for your own protection you need to change yours. Either each do your own laundry or just check everything before it is tossed in the washer. I don't like the first because it still leaves the dryer vulnerable. Rechecking pockets only adds three minutes to a load of shirts or slacks. I can do that rather than losing my favorite shirt.

AvidReader

« Reply #1057 on: March 08, 2016, 09:25:26 AM »

30 years? I think this is a case of he won't change his behavior so for your own protection you need to change yours. Either each do your own laundry or just check everything before it is tossed in the washer. I don't like the first because it still leaves the dryer vulnerable. Rechecking pockets only adds three minutes to a load of shirts or slacks. I can do that rather than losing my favorite shirt.

Perhaps my timeline was not presented clearly.  Both incidents occurred nearly 30 years ago.  He changed his behavior.

Luci

« Reply #1058 on: March 08, 2016, 04:05:21 PM »

Perhaps my timeline was not presented clearly.  Both incidents occurred nearly 30 years ago.  He changed his behavior.

A man who learns, be it the hard way! Congratulations!  :)

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #1059 on: March 08, 2016, 11:18:10 PM »
DD #2 had a tiny bottle of purple glitter nailpolish in some pants pockets when she did laundry one time.  We ran the dryer for an hour, empty, while the nailpolish baked on so it wouldn't get on anything else....  She lost a lot of clothing that day...  She was, oh, 13 or 14.  Don't think it's happened since, and she's 29 now.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #1060 on: March 08, 2016, 11:31:48 PM »
One of my exes learned from a moderately expensive lighter getting washed and destroyed to check his own pockets.  Another ex did not learn this lesson, nor the one with pens, nor the one with superglue, and thereafter I refused to wash his clothes with mine, so I never did his laundry again.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1061 on: March 08, 2016, 11:34:46 PM »
One of my kids (no idea who, but I'm guessing the toddler) had a red crayon in a pocket or something a few months ago.  Same as the others, not a problem in the washer, but a disaster in the dryer.  I looked online for all the techniques and managed to get it off some of the clothes, but there were a few things that I absolutely couldn't get it off.  I shrunk a new sweater of mine in the attempt.  Fortunately it hasn't happened again since, but then, it's only been a few months.  Honestly, though, I can't imagine trying to check all the pockets.  Five kids' worth of clothes is a lot.  I barely keep up on laundry as it is.  And all those tiny pockets... eek.  My saving grace is that most clothes for very small children simply don't have pockets.  By the time they're old enough to have pockets, mostly they seem to forget chapsticks and Squinkies in them, which usually show up when I'm transferring the clothes to the dryer and don't really seem to get much damaged in either.  I'll take an occasional fluke over checking every pocket every time.  Although my beloved dryer is rather pink inside now (the recommended techniques for getting the stain out of the dryer did *not* work in the slightest).
Emily is 9 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 7 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 5 years old!  8/10
Megan is 3 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 1 year old!  12/14

KimberlyM

« Reply #1062 on: March 09, 2016, 11:48:22 AM »
My son did that with a pack of gum.  Fine in the washer but it melted and stuck to everything in the dryer.  He lost a load of clothes and several hours attempting to remove all the gum from the inside of my dryer.

Carotte

« Reply #1063 on: March 09, 2016, 12:55:10 PM »
I'm pretty happy now to only have forgoten paper tissues every now and then, I'll take little bits of paper stuck to everything over the rest, but yeah, I should probably remember to check pockets before something like that happen..

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1064 on: March 09, 2016, 01:23:15 PM »
I ran several yards of brand new denim fabric through the (brand new) washer and dryer several years ago.

I should have run it through the washing machine more than just the one time before sticking it in the dryer.

More than twelve years later, the inside of the drier is still slightly blue from the indigo dye...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?