Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 171842 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #585 on: February 18, 2012, 11:57:05 AM »
Urushiol oil (the thing that makes poison ivy cause rashes) can be vicious stuff.  I read that in Japan, when a building was covered in a dome made of some type of precious metal, the builders painted the metal with lacquer made with urushiol oil to keep thieves from stealing the metal.  No word on how well it worked, though.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #586 on: February 18, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »
Even though it is still officially summer here, we have had some chilly nights, so I thought I would clean the flue of the wood heater so I could light the fire.  Unfortunately some wee birdies had nested in the end of the flue last spring, so there is a lot of grass and straw up there.

Cue Jules with the 4 metre brush, trying valiantly to clear the blockage from below.  I pushed, and slipped...  And my forearm banged hard onto the top of the opening.  Very hard.  I am on aspirin.  I now have a bruise half the length of my forearm and nearly the full circumference, and it is pretty red and purple, swollen and tender.  Owies!

And the blockage is still there...

To add insult to injury I went blackberry picking yesterday.  The thorns are more than capable of piercing leather gloves. 

Sigh...

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #587 on: February 18, 2012, 05:29:52 PM »
BF adopted our dog, Pilsner, before we met. I wish I could have known Pilsner as a puppy, as he was both adorable and entertaining. He's still both, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Apparently, when he was a puppy, he ate an entire big box of crayons. The whole thing.

Apparently, he poo'd rainbows for a few days after that.

Oh dear, our dog did something similar to this once.

My BFF's daughter did this once. Ate an entire 64 color box of crayons.
Clearly she had eaten the like colors together, because that's how they came out...

Irk Splee

• The Lurker Who Talks Too Much
  • I'm not always sure how to deal with people
    • Fanfics, Memes, and Other Fandom Madness
« Reply #588 on: February 18, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »
Yesterday morning, I set up a pot of coffee, then went off to get ready for the day. I came back to a finished pot...

Then, in a half-awake haze, I took the pot, dumped it in the sink, and started a new pot.

Normally, I just drink coffee for the taste and don't need it to wake up, but clearly, yesterday was an exception!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #589 on: February 18, 2012, 07:25:48 PM »
BF adopted our dog, Pilsner, before we met. I wish I could have known Pilsner as a puppy, as he was both adorable and entertaining. He's still both, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Apparently, when he was a puppy, he ate an entire big box of crayons. The whole thing.

We had a dog who would slurp the tinsel off the Christmas tree like a kid eating spaghetti.  We thank the deity that the tinsel was plastic instead of lead.  Let us just say that the neighborhood was treated to extra holiday decorations when Pups was taken put for a walk. 

Clearly she had eaten the like colors together, because that's how they came out...

catgal

« Reply #590 on: February 18, 2012, 07:51:28 PM »
Julian, you are making me miss picking juicy Tassie blackberries, then coming back tired and scratched and making pies and crumbles. There were many times when picking blackberries that the best ones would be in the middle of the patch, and I'd strech out to pick them, only to fall into the brambles and get caught and ripped to shreds.  Enjoy some for me :D
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #591 on: February 19, 2012, 12:46:36 AM »
Hi Catgal

They were beautiful, well worth the scratches and puncture wounds! 

My friend said we should have brought a step ladder to get to the best ones, yeah, can just imagine me toppling off into the brambles! 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #592 on: February 19, 2012, 01:24:26 AM »

We had a dog who would slurp the tinsel off the Christmas tree like a kid eating spaghetti.  We thank the deity that the tinsel was plastic instead of lead.  Let us just say that the neighborhood was treated to extra holiday decorations when Pups was taken put for a walk. 

My sister's cat would eat the tinsel off the Christmas tree, then urp shiny piles.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #593 on: February 19, 2012, 01:06:46 PM »
When I was 12, I was boy crazy. Seriously. Yuck, such a turn off lol! Anyway, I can now laugh about it. Apart from this.

I wrote a love letter to the boy who lived up our road. It was...well...interesting. What possessed me to write it I don't know. Anyway, I thought it was a great idea to post it through his door. The "ohnosecond" came as soon as the paper hit the floor. I immediately rang the doorbell and sheepishly asked his mum to please give me the letter back. She said "What letter?" I mumbled, "That letter..." and pointed at the envelope on the floor. She said nothing, just gave me it back. I immediately tore the letter up and dumped it in the rubbish. Seriously silly thing to do. Especially as he was 14 at the time, and would have shown the letter to all his friends at school, thus giving everyone more ammunition to pick on me. My face still burns with the shame.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

HorseFreak

« Reply #594 on: February 19, 2012, 01:52:03 PM »

My sister's cat would eat the tinsel off the Christmas tree, then urp shiny piles.

Just a PSA on Christmas tinsel (I only mention it because several posters have mentioned pets eating it): it is VERY DANGEROUS for pets, especially cats to eat tinsel! It can cause the intestines to scrunch up like an accordion and cause a lot of pain and damage, potentially leading to death or at least an expensive vet bill.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #595 on: February 19, 2012, 04:54:29 PM »

Just a PSA on Christmas tinsel (I only mention it because several posters have mentioned pets eating it): it is VERY DANGEROUS for pets, especially cats to eat tinsel! It can cause the intestines to scrunch up like an accordion and cause a lot of pain and damage, potentially leading to death or at least an expensive vet bill.
I was just about to mention it also.  Impacted guts full of tinsel are not good things.  I haven't used the stringy kind of tinsel in decades, because of the cat.  We use the rope kind.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #596 on: February 19, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »
The cat I mentioned went to the Rainbow Bridge when he was 18. 

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #597 on: February 20, 2012, 11:30:37 AM »
Stupid things I've done?  Lots!

However, one incident which comes to mind harks back to childhood.  We had just had a shiny new upright freezer installed at home, and it was plugged in to freeze up nicely prior to food being put in it.  For some reason, my mother thought it a good idea to warn me "now make sure you don't open the freezer up and stick your tongue on the bars!"  Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot???  I'd have never even thought of it had she not explicitly and very precisely ensured by those words that this curious 7 year old would do just that! 

Of course, she freaked when I did, and got stuck fast by my tongue.  She proceeded to YANK my head back, to free me.  Several layers of tongue were left behind, quite a lot of bleeding ensued, and a trip into town to the doctor was required.

LOL I did that but outside on our metal railing. See it was time for Dad to take us to preschool/daycare & while usually we took the bus it was a nasty winter day so Dad called for a taxi. Right when the taxi got there I planted my tongue on the railing & naturally freaked out as did my brother. Dad does not suffer fools gladly & as we were running late yanked me back to free my tongue. Blood everywhere but again, we were running late so he stuffed my mouth with Kleenex & hustled me & brother into the taxi. According to Dad the taxi driver was freaking out that I was going to bleed to death via my tongue while Dad is telling him to just get going already! To this day that's still my Dad's favorite story to tell about me ;D

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #598 on: February 20, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »
Still not finished with the thread but the knife & key stories reminded me of a couple.

Key #1 - When we changed the locks on our new house I wasn't really thinking about keeping all the keys on me while changing the locks around. I changed the backdoor lock then check it to make sure that it latched properly ... with the keys sitting on the steps ... inside ... with the dog who's now looking at me like "why are you out there, come & feed me!" I had to track down a random person in the neighborhood & beg to use their phone to call DH to come home which took 45 minutes. Thankfully it was fall & nice outside.

Key #2 - Our babysitter managed to lock herself out of the house while the boys were still inside & awake (they were about 1 1/2 at the time). She got back in to the house by knocking out the window in our backdoor but couldn't get it back in (it was plastic) & decided to call us at the restaurant to let us know. Really as long as she was back inside it could have waited until we got home!

Knife - DH was cutting a bagel one morning & not watching where he put his fingers in relation to the nice sharp bread knife. A yell & curse later DH is at the sink with cold water running over his cut finger. The funny part (once we determined he wasn't badly hurt) was that there was a spray pattern across the cabinets & even on the ceiling! We cleaned the cabinets but not the ceiling as it was most impressive.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #599 on: February 20, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »
I still don't know how I did this.  While I was shaving yesterday, I somehow managed to cut through the nail on my baby finger.  It really hurt but when I looked at it, there was no blood and couldn't see anything.  Until I pressed on it.  Then it started to bleed.  Since it wasn't a fresh razor, I figured it was a good idea to bleed it a bit.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario