News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 19, 2017, 02:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 329794 times)

tiff019

Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #615 on: July 30, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »
Listening to netflix (SVU from the beginning ;-) and suddenly only hear sound from one side.  Toss that set of ear buds and grab up a pair of slightly older ear plugs.  Same thing.  Irritation mounts until my oldest son offers me a set of ear phones.

Only one side.  grrr!

Son looks at me and pulls set and re-plugs them directly into my pc.  Bypassing my stereo speakers.

Huzzah! Sound in both ears!

Umm. Duh! My power pack gave up the ghost the other day and the router fried.  Both router and speakers were plugged into the pack.  Luckily the pc was/is fine.

Perhaps a first world annoyance: can't plug ear buds into my pc unless I want to lie down.  Ear phones are working but sit annoying on my head vs directly over my ear holes and not near as loud as I would prefer. Ehhh? (what did you just say?)

You can get an extender cord at Radio Shack or the like. I used one on my old stereo with no problems for years to route my tv sound through it. Worked fantastic. I'ts pretty cheap too if I remember correctly.

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #616 on: July 30, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »
Today I punched myself in the eye with my hairbrush and now it's distinctly swollen. Do I get the prize for the day?

guihong

« Reply #617 on: July 30, 2012, 10:18:36 PM »
Do NOT say "Oh, it's a cloudy day, won't get sunburned"  :'(.  Doubly dumb because I was at the pool. 

kitty-cat

« Reply #618 on: July 30, 2012, 11:22:56 PM »
Do NOT say "Oh, it's a cloudy day, won't get sunburned"  :'(.  Doubly dumb because I was at the pool.

I once got a really bad sunburn in February on a not really too sunny day. It was unusually hot that day so I was wearing a tank top and flip flops. (the joys of Florida- it'll be super cold one day and pushing the upper 70's the next)

NE Florida

squeakers

« Reply #619 on: July 31, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »

Umm. Duh! My power pack gave up the ghost the other day and the router fried.  Both router and speakers were plugged into the pack.  Luckily the pc was/is fine.

Perhaps a first world annoyance: can't plug ear buds into my pc unless I want to lie down.  Ear phones are working but sit annoying on my head vs directly over my ear holes and not near as loud as I would prefer. Ehhh? (what did you just say?)

You can get an extender cord at Radio Shack or the like. I used one on my old stereo with no problems for years to route my tv sound through it. Worked fantastic. I'ts pretty cheap too if I remember correctly.

We went with new speakers.  Just a cheap set but since I am getting old and losing hearing as long as I can hear netflix I am not missing out on anything (not like I am musically inclined or anything ;-)) So for when I want to cook or do dishes and be listening to my fav shows on netflix vs just sitting at my desk.

Considering the power pack which was also a surge protector lasted almost 10 years.. we got our moneys worth from it. Now to save up to buy another one: a power strip just does not seem as likely to save my electronics as the pack did. Then again.. I have went through a lot of ~middle priced pcs over the years.  I blame fur and bird dust.  Maybe it was the power pack?
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Shakira

« Reply #620 on: July 31, 2012, 05:53:15 AM »

I once got a really bad sunburn in February on a not really too sunny day. It was unusually hot that day so I was wearing a tank top and flip flops. (the joys of Florida- it'll be super cold one day and pushing the upper 70's the next)

I have the best relief for sunburns. Get the aloe gel and freeze it in your ice cube trays. Then you can let one melt on your skin! It's a little messy but the relief is worth it!
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #621 on: July 31, 2012, 12:33:40 PM »

I have the best relief for sunburns. Get the aloe gel and freeze it in your ice cube trays. Then you can let one melt on your skin! It's a little messy but the relief is worth it!
I like to use the aloe gel with lidocaine, or, as I like to call it, "soothe-o-caine." My most recent episode with the aloe gel was when we threw a Venus Transit party back in June.  It was 80% overcast which meant we spent a lot more time eating and talking than watching the transit.  I don't know why I wore a tank top and no sunscreen. :o I'm fair and blonde.  I know my skin will change color before your eyes if I'm out in direct afternoon sun.  I was so busy running around, I guess I thought I was moving too fast for the burning rays to penetrate.  ??? Not so much.  Ah-h-h-h, soothe-o-caine.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

snowflake

« Reply #622 on: July 31, 2012, 03:06:34 PM »
Today I punched myself in the eye with my hairbrush and now it's distinctly swollen. Do I get the prize for the day?

Ding! Ding! Ding!

This would be a prize I win all the time.  There was that time I was trying to pull one of those elbow supports over my elbow (after banging it after I slid all the way down some stairs and taking my new SIL out in doing so.  :-[)  You know how those pre-made supports are really tight and you have to pull really hard?  Well I lost my grip and punched myself in the nose.  It was black and blue for a week.  The dumb thing is that I doubt I could punch that well if my life depended on it.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #623 on: September 13, 2012, 05:42:39 PM »
I had a previous coworker who missed work because, while trying to get ready for work after the birth of her first grandchild (& staying up all night) she managed to microsleep while holding her hot curling iron to her bangs....and she was lucky her eyelids were shut.  Because her other DD had to drive her to the ER due to the burn on her eyelids.

I've never used a curling iron while sleepy since.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #624 on: September 13, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
This afternoon, I was playing hide and go seek with my dog and decided to hide in the coat closet. Except I tripped over something and fell hard, hitting the edge of the folded laundry rack with my ribs on the way down. Now I have a massive bruise, it hurts to lean back and breathe. Yay.

Pippen

« Reply #625 on: September 13, 2012, 08:03:45 PM »
This afternoon, I was playing hide and go seek with my dog and decided to hide in the coat closet. Except I tripped over something and fell hard, hitting the edge of the folded laundry rack with my ribs on the way down. Now I have a massive bruise, it hurts to lean back and breathe. Yay.

I hope you haven't cracked a rib. They hurt for about 6 weeks. No laughing for you.

Mine today. I have had to dig out my whole back garden along side the house so the plumber can redo my gully traps. I have unearthed some problems I really wish I hadn't. I will also have to completely resow the back lawn but at least I wasn't the idiot who decided to build a garden 3 feet deep over the drains and box the units with wood.

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #626 on: September 13, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »

I hope you haven't cracked a rib. They hurt for about 6 weeks. No laughing for you.

Mine today. I have had to dig out my whole back garden along side the house so the plumber can redo my gully traps. I have unearthed some problems I really wish I hadn't. I will also have to completely resow the back lawn but at least I wasn't the idiot who decided to build a garden 3 feet deep over the drains and box the units with wood.

Fun times with the garden. Do you at least know the idiot so you can admonish them appropriately?

As for me, I really hope I didn't crack a rib, though I think it was shock/extreme muscle soreness, since breathing hurts less now. The bruise is currently the size of my spread hand, with burst blood vessels in the morning.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #627 on: September 14, 2012, 12:20:02 AM »
I don't know what prompted this memory, but since it's in my brain, I'll put it in your brains as well.

Men, if you are observant, you will notice that after giving birth to a child who spends approximately 15 hours per day eating and another 5-7 hours shrieking, your wife may be extra stressed and exhausted. Surprising your stressed out, exhausted wife by mopping the floors and cleaning the bathroom (using a whole bunch of very effective, very chemically cleaners, including bleach) is a good and thoughtful idea. You might even succeed in you ulterior motive and your wife may reward your efforts by locking the kids downstairs with a movie so you and she can enjoy some special grown up time. Make sure that if this happens you wash your hands thoroughly!!!! Chemical burns in tender, intimate places are a good way to make sure that your stressed, exhausted wife will never let you touch her again.

Ok, I can't say never after all, said wife did give birth 17 months later.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #628 on: September 14, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
Oh, owwwwww!  :-\
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Amava

« Reply #629 on: September 14, 2012, 02:31:36 AM »

Better, even: if you're going to use cleaning products that are /that/ aggressive, best to wear cleaning gloves.
Especially if it is your first day on a student's job as a cleaner, and your supervisor has explicitly and repeatedly warned you to wear these gloves.
Yes, really. Even if "you always clean without gloves at home" or "you feel less handy with gloves".

If you're going to be stubborn and use the products you have been warned against, by the professional, with your bare hands anyway, at first you'll go: "See! Everything ok! It's not burning!"
But an hour after your job is done, and throughout the rest of the evening, small pieces of upper skin will start coming loose from your hands. Seriously, it was like a sort of "peeling" or something. I had never seen that before. And surprised that I was!!

Since then, if a bottle or a pro warns me to be careful with a product, I believe them.