Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 158078 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #705 on: October 08, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »
re: DVR -- when I hit the all-off button there are no lights remaining on the DVR.

I haven't tried recording anything yet . . . I'll keep you posted.

HorseFreak

« Reply #706 on: October 08, 2012, 05:44:42 PM »
I've decided I'm not allowed to make recipe substitutions anymore. My mom sent me a Duncan Hines Red Velvet cupcake mix so I decided to make it yesterday. It called for a 1/2 stick of butter to make the frosting and I don't normally keep butter at home. When I went grocery shopping they only had entire pounds for $3-4. I'm broke and refuse to have 3/4 of a pound of something I'm unlikely to use to I decided to substitute coconut oil. This was actually going fine and making a nice, creamy frosting until I added the water the recipe called for. Big mistake. The frosting starting to curdle into little pieces that resembled cottage cheese and sprayed everywhere with the electric mixer. I managed to squeeze them together in the bag, but it would not stick to the cupcakes no matter what I did and dried out in little white Cheeto-shaped chunks.

They're still delicious, but I have to add frosting chunks to each bite of my cupcakes. So much for bringing them to work so I don't eat them all!

You know you can freeze butter, right? :-)

Yes, but I never use it. 3/4 lb of frozen butter will probably just be tossed or given away when I move next and I don't have the extra cash to have something I don't need hanging around.

NyaChan

« Reply #707 on: October 08, 2012, 08:38:41 PM »
I get it - my grocery store was giving away a free 2-liter of their generic soda with pizza.  The cashier simply could not understand why I didn't want it - I was going out of town, no one I know drinks the generic brand and I didn't want it just laying around my apartment.  She kept arguing with me and rolling her eyes like I was nuts :)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #708 on: October 08, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »
Today I seriously burned the roof of my mouth on molten cheese...right after warning someone else that it was hot.  Later, having forgotten about it, I got myself some hot coffee and re-burned my mouth.  It wouldn't have actually hurt at all, but the roof of my mouth was still tender from the pizza.  So yeah, that was kind of stupid.  That's like telling someone "Don't slip", then promptly landing on your behind.

Nora

« Reply #709 on: October 09, 2012, 07:08:57 AM »
So yeah, that was kind of stupid.  That's like telling someone "Don't slip", then promptly landing on your behind.

I am the Queen of this. Always tripping, dropping things, burning myself, all the while going "sweetheart, be careful" to someone nearby.  ::)
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #710 on: October 09, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »
That's like telling someone "Don't slip", then promptly landing on your behind.

ROFL!  Oh, I've done that!!  When I was working at a fast-food place, long, long ago, the person before me had not emptied out the grease trap to the grill.  So I emptied it, then mopped up the spilled grease so no one would slip on the greasy floor.
Then I promptly slipped on the wet floor.   And landed ON THE GRILL.

The burned arm took 2 years to heal properly.

KimberlyM

« Reply #711 on: October 09, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »
I stayed home with a migraine yesterday.  I got out of bed mid afternoon to get some water and take some more pain meds.  Lights were on, curtains open, tv on etc (husband and toddler were home).  Rather than being smart and asking hubby to bring them to me I figure I can squint through the light and just get what I need and get back to my blessedly dark and quiet room.  All went as planned, until I walked into the wall and gave myself a giant goose-egg on my forehead.  Not surprisingly, didn't help much with my headache.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #712 on: October 09, 2012, 12:23:55 PM »
That's like telling someone "Don't slip", then promptly landing on your behind.

ROFL!  Oh, I've done that!!  When I was working at a fast-food place, long, long ago, the person before me had not emptied out the grease trap to the grill.  So I emptied it, then mopped up the spilled grease so no one would slip on the greasy floor.
Then I promptly slipped on the wet floor.   And landed ON THE GRILL.

The burned arm took 2 years to heal properly.

I used to lead a team at Habitat for Humanity. One day I was giving my usual safety lecture, winding up as usual with "And don't get hurt because the nearest ER is 30 minutes away!", then promptly slipped and fell into a ditch filled with broken cement blocks. I gave myself a concussion and ripped a whole in my leg down to the muscle. Then I got to give an impromptu first aid course and directions to said nearest ER.

2doglady

« Reply #713 on: October 09, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »
This is from 30+ years ago.  I was sitting on the toilet at work and saw a stray thread.  I started pulling it, thinking it would be a short thread or stop.  Ended up pulling quite a bit of thread.  Finally I realized I had just unraveled the thread that was holding the elastic onto my panties.  I ended up having to take them off and throw them away since as soon as I stood up, they fell down.
Typical symptoms of stress are: eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast.

Are they kidding? Add wine and that is my idea of a perfect day.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #714 on: October 13, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
re: DVR -- sure enough. Several nights ago, I turned off my TV and left the power to my DVR on. When I went to watch TV last night? There were quite a few of my requested shows that had been recorded. ::)

This is from 30+ years ago.  I was sitting on the toilet at work and saw a stray thread.  I started pulling it, thinking it would be a short thread or stop.  Ended up pulling quite a bit of thread.  Finally I realized I had just unraveled the thread that was holding the elastic onto my panties.  I ended up having to take them off and throw them away since as soon as I stood up, they fell down.

LOL! I did this once with a sweater I was wearing at work. I went to the bathroom and saw a stray thread. I strongly pulled it off and before I realized that it was actually still attached, I ended up with a gaping 4+ inch hole in the side seam of my sweater. From the armpit down, clearly showing off my bra.

I went back to the office, grabbed a stapler, went back to the bathroom and stapled my sweater seam back together.

Yeah. Do not trust those stray threads.

Sebastienne

« Reply #715 on: October 13, 2012, 08:37:04 PM »
My husband's absolute favorite story to tell about me. Short and sweet:

Indian restaurant. Food comes out on a large metal hot plate. Waiter says, "Don't touch; it's hot." Immediately, what do I do? Touch the hot plate. A night of pain later, and I had to admit the  waiter was onto something.

My counter-story: We're in Brussels, walking down the sidewalk, holding hands. All of a sudden, my hand is a lot lower than it had been. I look over, and... You know how there are sometimes trees planted on the edge of city sidewalks, with metal grates around them? Well, one tree had been removed, and the grate hadn't. So my brilliant, Ivy-League educated husband? Walked straight into a hole.

He wasn't hurt, so therefore it's hilarious.

mmswm

« Reply #716 on: October 13, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »
My most embarrassing "uh-oh" moment was at an all day long "drop-in" type BBQ I hosted for the local fire house and the people in my neighborhood (when I still lived in Florida). I had a buffet set up and kept hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill all day long, and members of my local fire and police departments were invited to drop by when they could and grab a bite to eat.  They were also invited to bring their families along to eat, swim and play games in the yard.  It was a great party and everybody had a lot of fun.

My Uh-Oh moment came about halfway through the party.  The couple that lived across the street from me were friends, and also members of the police and fire departments.  The husband was off duty that day and he spent most of the day hanging out having a good time.  The kids were having a water gun fight, and I got the bright idea to shoot my neighbor with one of the water guns.  His response to this was to shove me in the pool.  This would have been fine, except my phone AND my camera were in my pockets. Now, I know my old neighbor.  I knew the second I shot the water gun that it was a bad idea, but it was too late to take it back.  Ooops.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #717 on: October 21, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »
re: DVR -- sure enough. Several nights ago, I turned off my TV and left the power to my DVR on. When I went to watch TV last night? There were quite a few of my requested shows that had been recorded. ::)

LOL! I did this once with a sweater I was wearing at work. I went to the bathroom and saw a stray thread. I strongly pulled it off and before I realized that it was actually still attached, I ended up with a gaping 4+ inch hole in the side seam of my sweater. From the armpit down, clearly showing off my bra.

I went back to the office, grabbed a stapler, went back to the bathroom and stapled my sweater seam back together.

Yeah. Do not trust those stray threads.

Took the hem right out of my very full gathered skirt....at work as a substitute teacher.  Fortunately, I did have a sewing kit in my purse - and spent my one period without students in the bathroom, hemming the skirt (couldn't hem it while wearing it and nothing else to wear with me)!

++++

Five years earlier, I'd been in the military and a member of the base commander's team (Junior Officers' Club representative) so I went to four quarterly meetings.  Someone complained about the chain stitch and clear monofiliment thread used to hem the military uniforms at the base dry cleaners.  The base commander (a one star general - 0-6) pulled his ankle up on his knee & pulled at a loose clear thread.........to have the hem on his pants unravel....  He knew immediately why the complaint had been filed.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Rohanna

« Reply #718 on: October 21, 2012, 09:31:29 PM »
I get it - my grocery store was giving away a free 2-liter of their generic soda with pizza.  The cashier simply could not understand why I didn't want it - I was going out of town, no one I know drinks the generic brand and I didn't want it just laying around my apartment.  She kept arguing with me and rolling her eyes like I was nuts :)

If your grocery store has a food bank bin like mine, you can always put unwanted free or 2 for 1 items in it. I've done that with cookies when I only want to eat the contents of one packet that week, not two  ::) While I wouldn't buy "junk" food for a food bank, if it's free then I figure someone might enjoy the treat.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #719 on: October 22, 2012, 06:11:55 PM »

If your grocery store has a food bank bin like mine, you can always put unwanted free or 2 for 1 items in it. I've done that with cookies when I only want to eat the contents of one packet that week, not two  ::) While I wouldn't buy "junk" food for a food bank, if it's free then I figure someone might enjoy the treat.

Ohhh . . . that's a great idea! My store has these bins mostly around the holidays and there's a lot of things that I don't get the 2-for-1 of. I'll make sure to look for a bin every time I shop, just in case.

Thanks! ;D