Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 161626 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #900 on: January 27, 2014, 07:22:06 PM »
I'm not sure if this really belongs here, but since DD#2 and dog are fine and she is laughing at herself I figure it's okay to share . . .

It's sub-zero(F) with windchill factor up to 30 below.

DD#2 was dog sitting for Cousin's dog. She got up this morning about 8am, threw on boots (no socks) her jacket, light gloves and a hat, no scarf (stupid #1 for this weather ::).) In her defense thinking, she figured she'd just stand in the garage with dog on a leash, let the dog do his thing, quickly clean up and be done. No need to bundle all the way up, right? The whole business took less than 5 minutes.

EXCEPT! She locked herself out of the house . . . the connecting door from the garage to the house was locked. She knew that she locked the front door, she had no cell phone with her.

Stupid #2 -- but maybe not, maybe this was the smart thing considering how she was dressed -- she did not go to any of the neighbors for help. Cousin lives in the middle of a row of attached townhouses (maybe 15-20 homes to the building.) Since she was on the garage side she would have had to walk all the way around to the front of the building in order to knock on doors hoping to find someone at home. Plus she didn't know anybody's (Cousin's) phone number to call because all her contacts are in her cell phone and not in her brain. (She could have called me. ::))

So DD#2 sat on a cooler contemplating her situation. She looked over at a stack of chairs* and thought that they would be too cold and uncomfortable to sit on.

She tried to open Cousin's car . . . fortunately it was not locked and even more fortunately there was a thick blanket in the back seat. So she cuddled up with dog . . . for 5 HOURS! :o :'( until Cousin came home.

Cousin was shocked when DD#2 came out of her car. Cousin felt sooo bad! Especially since she's locked herself out a few times so she walked over to the stack of chairs, and on the top chair (out of easy eyesight, but not really hidden) . . . yes, folks, was a spare house key.

*This is where DD#2 feels really stupid. "If I just went over to look at the chairs, I would have found the key!"

I'm sooo thankful that everything turned out okay. Thankful that there was a blanket and DD#2 and dog were able to keep each other warm. Thankful that the sun was shining on that side of the building which helped warm up the garage. Thankful that DD#2 had the wherewithall to get out of the car several times, run around the garage, do jumping jacks and play with dog for small bits at a time.

I think that I'm mostly thankful that DD#2 is able to laugh about the situation.

andi

« Reply #901 on: January 27, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »
I feel for your DD since I did this at my house last year. Pouring rain and about 45 outside in my flip flops, Jammie's and "big shirt". Hubby out of town. Go to feed his dog and let her out (kenneled in the garage at night) and the door from the laundry room to the garage was locked. I trompped around to the front door and banged on it and rang the bell for almost an hour before my son (aged 8 at the time) heard it and came downstairs to see why I wasn't answearing the door and Jack was barking his head off.  Fortunately he also heard me yelling "it's mommy - open the door"  or else I would have been out there till hubby got back in town.

I did the same again thing 2 weeks later

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #902 on: May 05, 2014, 02:07:48 AM »
Sigh...my own stupidity tonight!

Dyeing my hair to cover some greys. Picked a nice "toasted chestnut dark brown", applied dye. My hair is thick, curly and a little past my shoulders. It kept falling down so I used an old ponytail holder to bun it all atop my head. 20 minutes later I hop in the shower and start gently removing the ponytail holder. Duh!! Despite my easing it off, it "twanged" and spattered dye. I saw it on the shower walls and quickly rinsed it off. Then I tipped my head back to rinse my hair...and saw the upper walls & ceiling. White walls now spattered with reddish brown dye. Cue several moment of cursing as I quickly rinse my hair, put in the conditioner and try to figure out how I'm going to clean dye off the 10' ceiling when even setting the ladder up won't help me in the spot.

I ended up wrapping a damp microfiber cloth around the end of the broom, cleaning as much as I could then using bleach spray in the walls. 90% is currently off but there are spots that need another go round w/ the bleach. DH is traveling til the weekend & will not be impressed if I can't get this mess cleaned up. I do have a bit of paint but again the location is problematic.

Dumb, dumb, dumb!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #903 on: May 05, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »
What you could do is get a couple of squirt guns and fill them with different color dyes and "splatter" the ceiling with all pretty colors and tell your DH that you thought the plain white was too boring. ;D

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #904 on: May 05, 2014, 07:38:30 PM »
LOL, I'd be good with that...him not so much. I managed to wedge the ladder into the shower today and climb up. It probably wasn't the safest thing to do considering I couldn't even open it fully but I was able to get bleach on the remaining spots and they seem to be much lighter/gone now. I've also added disposable shower caps to my shopping list for the next time I feel the need to color. In my own defense my hair was 1-2" for 10 years before I decided to grown it out this year...I'm not used to dealing with long-ish dye covered locks.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #905 on: May 05, 2014, 08:03:41 PM »
LOL, I'd be good with that...him not so much. I managed to wedge the ladder into the shower today and climb up. It probably wasn't the safest thing to do considering I couldn't even open it fully but I was able to get bleach on the remaining spots and they seem to be much lighter/gone now. I've also added disposable shower caps to my shopping list for the next time I feel the need to color. In my own defense my hair was 1-2" for 10 years before I decided to grown it out this year...I'm not used to dealing with long-ish dye covered locks.

I've been concerned about this!

I've done a lot of weird/clumsy/oops! things, too. I've also found a few scary solutions, as yours above, and most of them actually worked out! We do not discuss the ones that didn't. Luckily, I've done better than Lucy ("I Love Lucy"), and it sounds like you are following in our footsteps!

PS Bend over a bit and hold your head so the splatters go down when rinsing! :)

Cutenoob

« Reply #906 on: May 06, 2014, 07:09:16 PM »
I have medium length hair, and I recently dyed it. I used a veggie plastic bag :). Do the dye work, tie/secure hair on head as much as you can, and put the bag over your hair. Start at the front/forehead and gradually get your hair in the bag. I put the edge of the opening right at my forehead, keep it as stable as possible. I also let my hair sit for an hour, 30 min is not enough.
The reason I do this: it's cheap and almost free, you just have to buy veggies which we do anyways. It's a little bit awkward first time around but it works good.

mmswm

« Reply #907 on: May 06, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
Don't get distracted when your jogging partner is a 125 pound mastiff.  He might decide to stop and smell the roses while you're running downhill and jerk your arm back so hard you consider an ER visit for a potentially dislocated shoulder and scraped and bruised side/back. (I'm fine, but sore).
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

greencat

« Reply #908 on: May 06, 2014, 10:15:57 PM »
I have medium length hair, and I recently dyed it. I used a veggie plastic bag :). Do the dye work, tie/secure hair on head as much as you can, and put the bag over your hair. Start at the front/forehead and gradually get your hair in the bag. I put the edge of the opening right at my forehead, keep it as stable as possible. I also let my hair sit for an hour, 30 min is not enough.
The reason I do this: it's cheap and almost free, you just have to buy veggies which we do anyways. It's a little bit awkward first time around but it works good.

I use plastic grocery bags for the same purpose - you can tie the handles off when your hair is all up in it to tighten it!

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #909 on: May 07, 2014, 12:23:23 AM »

Great idea!! I end up w/ 4+ of those every week...time to put them to good use!

Now that the stains are gone, I'm finally calm enough to evaluate the color (Clairol Natural Instincts Roasted Chestnut --- Dark Warm Brown). It's not a huge change from my natural dark brown, but in the sun there is definitely a lot more red to it. I like!

Vall

« Reply #910 on: May 07, 2014, 12:38:15 AM »
I used to use the plastic grocery bags, twisted tight in front and then secured with a clothes pin.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #911 on: June 02, 2014, 09:38:38 AM »
I'm at work. Have been for over an hour. I just realized I have two different sandals on. Black on the left foot and brown on the right. I'm hiding in my office.  :-[

Amara

« Reply #912 on: June 02, 2014, 12:41:35 PM »
I once did something similar, Ladyknight. I thought I put on a red tunic sweater, black leggings and pretty black boots. Turns out the leggings were not quite navy (but looked black in the darkened bedroom). Spent the whole day at my desk, embarrassed.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #913 on: June 02, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »
Been there, done that, only my issue is with black and navy. I simply can't tell the difference sometimes and will end up with navy socks and black pants and shoes, and vice versa. i also one day wore navy pants with a cute black/white top and red cardigan. Wouldn't have been so bad if i didn't hav eto work my second job, which is in a women's clothing store!!  oops.

and i have to tattle on myself today. i wore a cute black and white abstract print top. and not thinking put a giraffe pattern bra on. you can see where this is going, can't you? if you really look closely, you can see the giraffe pattern on the white. but fortunatlye the patter on the top is busy enough its really not that noticeable, but I see it and it annoys me.

mmswm

« Reply #914 on: June 02, 2014, 01:23:44 PM »
At least it was black/brown/navy.  I once somehow managed to pair up a chocolate brown and a purple shoe.  They were identical except the color ballet flats, and both were shiny, but how on earth did I manage to do that?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)