Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 160766 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #930 on: June 03, 2014, 10:14:23 AM »
I'll join you all ;)

I was in my car to go to work before I noticed that I was barefoot. ::)

(I couldn't figure out why the brake pedal felt funny.)
That reminds me of comedian Adam Hills (who has an artificial foot) talking about how his driver's licence states "Must drive wearing artificial right foot". He was trying to figure out how (despite never once in his entire life leaving the house without his artificial foot firmly in place) the traffic authorities thought he'd make it to the car having forgotten to put it on, nevermind try to drive without it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygOPiwv6xKg&feature=kp

(foul language ahoy there, be warned).

For the same reason they state the glasses wearer have to wear their glasses, because there will always be someone trying the "well it doesn't say that I have to wear them and that it's illegal to do so, so you can't blame me, with my 1/10 vision for having caused an accident because I decided not to wear them".
Someone, somewhere, tried to operate their vehicle without their prosthetic and caused an accident. They were probably indignant too  ::)

Absolutely. People will try the daftest things, and use the silliest excuses to get away with it. I can see people going "well, yes, I see better with glasses, but I look so uncool. And I can pretty easily figure out that red blob ahead is a stop sign. Or a red light. Or maybe a tail light. But whatever, I'll look good when I hit it!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

EmmaJ.

« Reply #931 on: June 03, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »
My 3-year-old has bangs, and when I cut them, I do the twist method.  You take all the bangs in your hand, then you twist them in one direction, then cut the tip of the bangs.  (I then twist them in the other direction and do the same thing, otherwise they don't seem to come out even.  Then I let them down and trim things up a bit, but this process gives them a nice layered look.)

For the first time *ever* I managed to cut myself while doing this yesterday.  I was holding the twist of bangs in my left hand and went just a bit too far with the right.  Hair-cutting scissors are sharp, and that *seriously* hurt!  I actually put a band-aid on (after cleaning the wound) extra tight in an attempt to use it to make it stop bleeding.  Still hurts a bit, and looks like a miniature shark bite.  (It's an upside-down v-shape.)
Yikes!  I feel your pain having done nearly the same thing.  I nicked the web of skin between my thumb and forefinger.  Terrible place to try to put a bandage and it took forever to heal.  Try doing anything without using your thumb!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #932 on: June 03, 2014, 04:58:29 PM »
Yes, thumbs are the worst!  I have issues with really dry skin on my hands during winter, and the skin at the corner of my nails actually cracks open.  It's incredibly painful and almost impossible to heal because the skin is being pulled apart constantly.  I have the best luck with superglue to hold it together, but no matter how much lotion I put on I can't seem to prevent it.

With the hair dye, I do the same thing with the grocery bag when I'm doing that "wait" period after you put the dye in.  I have long-ish hair, so I just pile it up on my head and it stays well enough for me to wrap the grocery bag around it and tie it.  The only issue is that it's hard to keep it off my forehead, and I'm always concerned that I'll get dye on my forehead and leave brown spots, but it seems to end up fine anyway.

greencat

« Reply #933 on: June 03, 2014, 05:26:10 PM »
Yes, thumbs are the worst!  I have issues with really dry skin on my hands during winter, and the skin at the corner of my nails actually cracks open.  It's incredibly painful and almost impossible to heal because the skin is being pulled apart constantly.  I have the best luck with superglue to hold it together, but no matter how much lotion I put on I can't seem to prevent it.

With the hair dye, I do the same thing with the grocery bag when I'm doing that "wait" period after you put the dye in.  I have long-ish hair, so I just pile it up on my head and it stays well enough for me to wrap the grocery bag around it and tie it.  The only issue is that it's hard to keep it off my forehead, and I'm always concerned that I'll get dye on my forehead and leave brown spots, but it seems to end up fine anyway.

Makeup wipes used periodically while you're waiting for the dye to finish developing will keep your forehead from getting stained.

alkira6

« Reply #934 on: June 03, 2014, 11:11:42 PM »

Makeup wipes used periodically while you're waiting for the dye to finish developing will keep your forehead from getting stained.

When I dyed my hair a nice thick coating of Vaseline kept my hairline and my ears absolutely clean.

greencat

« Reply #935 on: June 04, 2014, 02:36:13 AM »

When I dyed my hair a nice thick coating of Vaseline kept my hairline and my ears absolutely clean.

I used to do that, but my skin would break out.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #936 on: June 04, 2014, 12:56:51 PM »
I intended to put my foot on the brake and announce that if they weren't happy with my driving one of them could take over. What I actually did was stamp on the accelerator.

Good Ethnic Boy: "Holy [bleep]! What are you doing, hon?!"
Mel the Redcap: "Getting rattled! Thank you! Is this fast enough for ya?"
Although your response got the desired reaction, here's an alternate one for next time.  >:D

Now that I can type after my initial reaction**.......I just read this, and thought it was too good not to bring it forward.

*My initial reaction was:
Laugh(!)Out(!)Loud(!) for a long time, with quick intakes of breath, then more LOL's

Margo

« Reply #937 on: June 06, 2014, 07:32:42 AM »

I had a friend with ultra dry skin - she found that a thick layer of lotion covered with cotton-lined gloves, worn over night, helped, as it meant she was effectively soaking her hands in lotion for 7 hours or so while she was in bed.  I don't think it would work for me as I would end up with he gloves lost somewhere down the bed, and lotion all over the sheets, but if you are not a figitty sleeper it might be worth a try.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #938 on: June 06, 2014, 08:03:16 AM »

I skip lotion altogether and go straight for olive or coconut oil.  Soaking my fingers and hands daily during the drier months, rubbing it in, letting it absorb, and then putting on gloves helped with the worst of it.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #939 on: June 06, 2014, 09:13:45 AM »
I use a sugar scrub with olive oil in it. It helps me a lot.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #940 on: June 06, 2014, 09:27:18 AM »

I had a friend with ultra dry skin - she found that a thick layer of lotion covered with cotton-lined gloves, worn over night, helped, as it meant she was effectively soaking her hands in lotion for 7 hours or so while she was in bed.  I don't think it would work for me as I would end up with he gloves lost somewhere down the bed, and lotion all over the sheets, but if you are not a figitty sleeper it might be worth a try.

This is what I do in the winter. I do always take the gloves off in my sleep, but at least my hands are dry by then. Lately I've had a terrible eczema outbreak and lotion just isn't doing it, so I've been using cortizone cream with the gloves instead and it seems to be working.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Frog24

« Reply #941 on: June 06, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »
In Saskatchewan, Canada, there's a little lake with extremely high salinity and mineral content.  Something like 1 kg of salt for every gallon of water.  It was a big tourist attraction in the 20s and they built a pool where they pipe in the lake water, heat it and you can go in and float in the pool.  Oh My Goodness it stings the eyes, but it clears up eczema flare ups and dry cracked skin like you wouldn't believe.

Every winter my mom's hands would crack.  She'd bring home lake water to soak her hands in before slathering them in her own homemade hand cream.  It was the only way to prevent extreme chapping.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #942 on: June 17, 2014, 04:00:35 PM »
I found out the hard way not to put bubble bath in the hotel Jacuzzi.

I posted about this incident with DH.  He went to a local dollar store and was browsing around when he came across some shiny, blue crystals in a dish as part of a display.  He thinks "Great! Samples of candy."  Pops one in his mouth and starts to chew.   "Candy" is tasting stranger and stranger.  He walks back to the display to discover he's just eaten crystal air freshener.

Frog24

« Reply #943 on: June 17, 2014, 05:43:06 PM »
^^  Ha ha, Beagle mommy!  I did the same thing once.  Went to a buffet as they were starting to clear it.  Saw an unlabelled dish with some yellow beady things in there.  Probably dijon mustard.  Pick one up and taste it... it's bitter.  Yup, probably dijon.  As I'm about to pick up a knife to scoop some up, a worker comes into the room bearing a chafing dish of food.  He puts the food down, grabs the "container of mustard" and lights it on fire.

Yup, I'd tasted the chafing dish fuel.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #944 on: June 17, 2014, 10:32:05 PM »

I had a friend with ultra dry skin - she found that a thick layer of lotion covered with cotton-lined gloves, worn over night, helped, as it meant she was effectively soaking her hands in lotion for 7 hours or so while she was in bed.  I don't think it would work for me as I would end up with he gloves lost somewhere down the bed, and lotion all over the sheets, but if you are not a fidgety sleeper it might be worth a try.

I've tried that, and it helps a little.  But I *hate* wearing those gloves overnight, and they get yucky so fast from the lotion.