Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 133588 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« on: October 07, 2011, 03:01:12 PM »
Somebody brought a dish of meatballs in bbq sauce to my party as an appetizer last Saturday.

Last night I was foraging in my fridge for something to eat. "Oh. Meatballs. Hmmm, it's been 5 days. Are they still good?" I smelled them and tasted one. Smelled good, tasted good too. So I warmed up a few. They were yummy!

I woke up in the middle of the night. I'm not going into details, suffice it to say it wasn't fun.

My stomach is still bothering me. (I'm okay, not running a fever, just upset innards. Enough to keep me home from work today.)

Then it dawned on me that those meatballs had been sitting out for a looooong time during the party. Why-o-why did I even put them in the fridge? They should have been tossed while I was cleaning up! (Actually, the person that brought them wanted to take her dish home so she put the meatballs in a tupperware when she left and I just put them aside in my kitchen.)

Stupid brain-burp mistake and now I'm paying for it.

What about you? Any stories about brain-burp stupidity? Where you thought doing something would be okay but turned out to be not so okay? (Doesn't have to be food related.)

Please let me know that I'm not alone in this world. ;D

evil_xylo

Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 03:28:54 PM »
I made wonderfully delicious homemade marshmallows.  Too bad I forgot to grease and dust the pan first. 

Betelnut

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:35:32 PM »
I made chocolate chip cheesecake one time and started taking off the springform pan before the cake had completely cooled--as a matter of fact, it was still pretty warm.  The cheesecake just started oozing out and down.  Luckily, I was able to slam the sides of the pan back onto the cake.  It wasn't pretty anymore but still tasted good!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 08:17:10 AM by Betelnut »
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

amylouky

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »
I bought two beautiful shell rings on a trip to the beach many years ago. I took them off once and set them on the bathroom counter.. when I came back one was missing, and I couldn't find it anywhere. So, thinking maybe it had fallen on the floor and bounced somewhere, I decided to knock the OTHER one off, to see which way it would bounce.

Yeah. It shattered. Shells don't bounce so well.

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:10:56 PM »
I'm an occasional victim of the "ohnosecond" - that infinitesimal slice of time where you realize you've done something dumb but it's too late to stop yourself.

Most recently I was hauling a huge armload of stuff out to my car and as I struggled to click the unlock button on my keyfob, open the door with one finger, and ease the pile onto the seat, my keys fell to the floor of the car. Then my elbow bumped the lock button on the door, locking all the doors of the car.  As I shoved the door shut, I had the "ohnosecond" and tried to grab it before it slammed home, but it was no use.  My car doors were all locked, my handbag (and phone) inside, and my spare key was locked inside my house.  To make matters worse, my external garage door opener's battery was dead.

I knocked on the doors of all the neighbors I know, but none were home, as it was in the middle of the day on a weekday.  Thankfully a woman soon appeared with her dog and I was going to ask her to call a pop-a-lock place for me, but she instead let me come to her home around the corner where she loaned me a 9V battery which allowed me back into the house.  I got my keys and returned the neighbor's battery (and I have since replaced the one in the external door opener) but I was about fifteen minutes late for my engagement.  That'll teach me.  I should have picked up the keys as soon as I had put everything else down.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »
My shower head was getting all clogged up with hard water deposits, sending sprays of water in odd directions. It's not the type of shower head you can just unscrew: removing it would require some serious effort. I puzzled for a bit about how to solve this problem, when it suddenly occurred to me to fill a plastic sandwich bag with vinegar and tape it around the shower head to keep it in place. So that's what I did, figuring that leaving it in place for 24 hours ought to do the trick.

Fast-forward 24 hours. I've just finished a workout and hopped into the shower. By this time, I've completely forgotten about the baggie of vinegar. I turned on the water and pulled the knob to start the shower and...nothing. Annoyed, I made sure the knob was pulled out all the way. Still nothing. I cranked the water up higher - nothing. Cursing, I looked up at the shower head to see what the blankety-blank was wrong, just in time for the baggie to give way to the water pressure and explode in my face.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Aggiesque

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »
I made meatballs the other night!

The garlic glurged on me. I thought it'd be ok. They were so garlicy it burnt your mouth >.<
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 08:01:22 PM »
My shower head was getting all clogged up with hard water deposits, sending sprays of water in odd directions. It's not the type of shower head you can just unscrew: removing it would require some serious effort. I puzzled for a bit about how to solve this problem, when it suddenly occurred to me to fill a plastic sandwich bag with vinegar and tape it around the shower head to keep it in place. So that's what I did, figuring that leaving it in place for 24 hours ought to do the trick.

Fast-forward 24 hours. I've just finished a workout and hopped into the shower. By this time, I've completely forgotten about the baggie of vinegar. I turned on the water and pulled the knob to start the shower and...nothing. Annoyed, I made sure the knob was pulled out all the way. Still nothing. I cranked the water up higher - nothing. Cursing, I looked up at the shower head to see what the blankety-blank was wrong, just in time for the baggie to give way to the water pressure and explode in my face.

Oh geeze I needed this laugh, thanks so much.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 08:03:28 PM »
We had this kind of minor distress only last week.

There was a restaurant we used to frequent when we were dating.  It was named El Coyote.  The food was delicious but, after dinner there we just couldn't sleep.  We called the problem the 'El Coyote Syndrome'. 

Last week I made a taco pie for Dinner because we had some left over sweet corn that we didn't want to waste.  Like the food at El Coyote, the meal was delicious.  Like the food at El Coyote, we were both awake all night. 

We didn't feel ill.  We didn't have to make trips to the loo.  We just couldn't sleep.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 08:07:54 PM »
I'm an occasional victim of the "ohnosecond" - that infinitesimal slice of time where you realize you've done something dumb but it's too late to stop yourself.

Do you ever stand there futilely shouting "Control-Z! Control-Z!"?

(I do. ::) )

POF

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 08:12:13 PM »
I have a delicious chicken taco soup recipe, its easy, yummy and calorie firendly. It calls for 2 tsp of chili powder.  iread it as 2 TBSP. Which would have been OK - I like spice.... but I used one TBSP of chipotle chili powder and 1 TBSP of mexican hot chili powder.
I LOVE spicy this was BRUTAL.

DS12 likes it though.

robobecky

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
Just did one.  Was toasting my last bagel and forgot to keep an eye on it.  I had the toaster set on light, but my idea of light and the toaster's idea of light are 2 different things.  Yup, burnt bagel.  And the reason I forgot?  I was reading this thread. ::)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 08:42:13 PM »

I must admit I giggled too, but because this is something I SO would do.

lipli

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 10:08:48 PM »
I have two. 

My sink stopper came unhooked so it was difficult to get a seal.  I read online how to rehook it.  Step one was to unscrew the "finger" that goes through the ring at the bottom of the stopper which pulls/pushes it.  I do it and realize that there are bubbles in the sink from washing my hands.  I rinse them down so I can see the ring.  Yep, watered my sink cabinet. 

I have this amazing spinach casserole dish that requires onion soup mix (this is a multipart fail).  I realized too late that I didn't have the onion mix.  I look up on line how to make it.  I didn't have any of the onion ingredients but I had their garlic counterparts.  I love garlic so I thought this would be full of win.  Nope.  I can't even describe how bad it was.  A waste of delicious spinach.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 10:30:26 PM »
There is a great Mexican place in a town in New Mexico that we visit every couple of years when travelling.  They have a shrimp dish that melts in your mouth.  I took leftovers to our hotel.  two days later, I pulled them out of the fridge and made a hodge podge of several dished of leftovers for a family night in meal. 
oh, the shrimp was good!  I sorta knew I should not have eaten it, cuz I could tell it was not quite up to par anymore, and I paid for it all night long.  Fortunately, I had a collection of good vacation reads to keep me company on the bathroom floor! 
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.