Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 133672 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »
This was years ago.  At the time I lived in an apartment complex where fresh air was not allowed to intrude.  It was Christmas, and I was visiting my parents, in their so-drafty-it-feels-like-a-gale-force-wind house.  I make bread all the time, and my mother asks me to make Stollen for Christmas morning.

The dang dough just doesn't want to rise.  I pat the top of the dough, and realize that it feels cold, refrigerated cold.  So my mother and I find a better spot, and finally it starts to rise.

I should have trashed it then, because the bread was doomed.  After baking, the cat (who was never interested in bread before) gets up on the counter and starts to nibble on one end.  We shoo her off, cut off the cat nibbles spot, wrap in plastic and place in the by now cold oven to be safe through the night.

My father gets up in the morning and decides to make pancakes.  To keep them warm, he turns on the oven.  We rescue the Stollen before the plastic wrap melts completely on it, although the cat nibbles spot is now augmented by the Saran wrap frosting at that end.

And it didn't taste that great, but after all that drama, I am not surprised.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Midge

« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2011, 04:43:43 PM »
My shower head was getting all clogged up with hard water deposits, sending sprays of water in odd directions. It's not the type of shower head you can just unscrew: removing it would require some serious effort. I puzzled for a bit about how to solve this problem, when it suddenly occurred to me to fill a plastic sandwich bag with vinegar and tape it around the shower head to keep it in place. So that's what I did, figuring that leaving it in place for 24 hours ought to do the trick.

I keep meaning to do this with our shower head; it's soo gunked up.

Fast-forward 24 hours. I've just finished a workout and hopped into the shower. By this time, I've completely forgotten about the baggie of vinegar. I turned on the water and pulled the knob to start the shower and...nothing. Annoyed, I made sure the knob was pulled out all the way. Still nothing. I cranked the water up higher - nothing. Cursing, I looked up at the shower head to see what the blankety-blank was wrong, just in time for the baggie to give way to the water pressure and explode in my face.

And now I KNOW this is what will happen when I do.

Snooks

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2011, 04:48:51 PM »
Not me but a friend:

Accidentally mistook the hair removal cream tube for the toothpaste.

Gagcht! She was rinsing her mouth out for 30 mins. What I think made it worse was that when it happened we were on a sleep-over at a friends so it wasn't even her own cream... ick.

Cousin's daughter was staying at her house and forgot to bring her toothbrush, reached under the sink for mouthwash and took a swig of Dettol.

CakeBeret

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »
Back when I wore contacts, I was at my mother's house and something was irritating my eye, badly. I went to her bathroom and grabbed a bottle of solution, as she wears contacts also. I couldn't see much thanks to the previous irritant, but it was shaped and colored just like a regular solution bottle, so I squirted some in my eye. It began burning like all the fires of Hades almost immediately, and it took two people to help me rinse it out. I had poured some sort of lens cleaner in my eye, something that was very much not meant to go in the eye. Thankfully there was no lasting damage.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Snooks

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2011, 04:57:11 PM »
Back when I wore contacts, I was at my mother's house and something was irritating my eye, badly. I went to her bathroom and grabbed a bottle of solution, as she wears contacts also. I couldn't see much thanks to the previous irritant, but it was shaped and colored just like a regular solution bottle, so I squirted some in my eye. It began burning like all the fires of Hades almost immediately, and it took two people to help me rinse it out. I had poured some sort of lens cleaner in my eye, something that was very much not meant to go in the eye. Thankfully there was no lasting damage.

DH did that with some stuff my old housemate had.  Housemate had been told that contact lens solution would be fine for cleaning her new piercing so she bought some on the way home, only problem was she didn't wear lenses so didn't know there were different types, she bought the bleachy stuff.  It didn't occur to me to check that she'd bought saline.  DH had a very red eye after cleaning his lens with that stuff and putting it back in his eye.

Midge

« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2011, 05:02:06 PM »
I've attempted homemade chicken stock two times, and I will never try again.

The first time, I don't know what happened, but I just ended up with slightly salty, greasy water.

But the second time, that was my masterpiece.

It's on the stove, looking good and it's time to cool it off and skim the fat. So, following the instructions, I take it off the stove and pour the stock into a big bowl that is set in an ice bath in our sink. Now, I don't know if I missed the "let it cool a while first" instruction, but boiling hot stock + very cold bowl = booom!

What looked like very nice stock is now mingling with ice cubes, water, and shards of a very nice mixing bowl in my clean-but-sure-as-heck-not-clean-enough-to-eat-out-of sink.

I now buy stock. It's cheaper than buying mixing bowls.

pwv

« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2011, 06:05:30 PM »
Not me, but my father did this years ago.  He was always complaining about the containers of leftovers in the refrigerator, so one day when he was home alone he decided to make his lunch from all the leftovers.  He ended it with the leftover banana cream pudding.  The serving spoon was still in the bowl, so he took a big mouthful....of pancake batter.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »
Not me but a friend:

Gagcht! She was rinsing her mouth out for 30 mins. What I think made it worse was that when it happened we were on a sleep-over at a friends so it wasn't even her own cream... ick.

Cousin's daughter was staying at her house and forgot to bring her toothbrush, reached under the sink for mouthwash and took a swig of Dettol.

I once brushed my teeth with contraceptive-jelly.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »
Not me but a friend:

I once brushed my teeth with contraceptive-jelly.

Yes, but contraceptive jelly would make a better tooth cleaner than Crest would a contraceptive.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »
    1/2 cup unsalted butter/shortening
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup chunky chocolate pieces or chocolate chips.  M&Ms are good too
    1/4 cup pecan halves, salted, roasted (optional)

Cream butter and sugar together in a bowl, beat in vanilla, add flour and baking powder.  Stir in chocolate chips/chunks/candy/nuts/whatever.
  If you're actually interested in baking them, the recipe says the dough balls should be quite large, about lemon-sized (!!!), bake at 300F for 45 minutes or until the cookies are nicely browned around the edges.  You can substitute margarine for butter with no issues.  Dough is perfectly safe to eat raw.  It's also good in vanilla ice cream.

Yeah, that's the recipe I was going to post.  :-\

Anniissa

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2011, 06:36:59 AM »

The first time, I don't know what happened, but I just ended up with slightly salty, greasy water.

It's on the stove, looking good and it's time to cool it off and skim the fat. So, following the instructions, I take it off the stove and pour the stock into a big bowl that is set in an ice bath in our sink. Now, I don't know if I missed the "let it cool a while first" instruction, but boiling hot stock + very cold bowl = booom!

What looked like very nice stock is now mingling with ice cubes, water, and shards of a very nice mixing bowl in my clean-but-sure-as-heck-not-clean-enough-to-eat-out-of sink.

My best friend finally decided she would take the plunge and make some homemade stock. After lovingly simmering it for three or four hours she takes it to the sink to strain it. Somehow she completely forgot the need to put something under it to strain the stock into and only realises as she watches all the lovely stock drain straight down the sink whilst she's left with the colander of bones and wilted veg. Strangely enough she's never attempted it again  ;)

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2011, 07:22:19 AM »
Blow up my iPad and iPhone at the same time  :P don't put drinks or food in backpacks  ::) :P

This reminds me of something. :P One time at university, I discovered the food place now had apple streudel [or something similar] in the little plastic containers reserved for cinnamon rolls, etc. Yum! Only I couldn't finish it, so I carefully placed the closed container in my backpack.

Only to discover hours later that the syrupy stuff had leaked EVERYWHERE...all over my notebooks and school books. :-[ Oops.

Needless to say, everything was very sticky and apple-smelling the rest of the year.

In high school, I felt very silly about this. I came back after Christmas break one year and tried to open my locker. Wouldn't open. I put in my combination quite carefully. STILL wouldn't open. Had to go to my homeroom teacher and miss my first class just to try and get my locker open, and I think even then the janitor had to help so I could get stuff for my first classes.

Finally get the combination. Turned out the combination I had memorized was wrong. :P The last digit was off by a couple. Since I'd been going by "sort of" just spinning the combo through the first semester, it worked. Only when trying to put it in perfectly did it fail... :D
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2011, 08:26:18 AM »
Re.: forgetting things in the oven.

I was cured early of that. I think I was pre-teen at the time, when someone left one my mom's plastic bowls in the oven. (Why, I don't know.) Sure enough, the oven was turned on to preheat, and when I went to put dinner in I saw the bowl. It was white plastic, and the rim had turned translucent.

I grabbed a towel to get the bowl out. The rim ended up bumpy with the towel weave imprinted on it. Since it was just the rim that deformed, we kept using the bowl.

Now I check the oven every time before I turn it on.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Miss March

« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2011, 09:07:58 AM »
My best friend finally decided she would take the plunge and make some homemade stock. After lovingly simmering it for three or four hours she takes it to the sink to strain it. Somehow she completely forgot the need to put something under it to strain the stock into and only realises as she watches all the lovely stock drain straight down the sink whilst she's left with the colander of bones and wilted veg. Strangely enough she's never attempted it again  ;)

Oh, your poor friend, but man, did that make me laugh!  :D
He had no choice, he had told her, and then he left, choosing.-- George R.R. Martin

Midge

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »

And that's probably what would have happened if I'd gone for Attempt #3! :)