Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 133919 times)

Pinky830

Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #270 on: November 08, 2011, 08:09:11 PM »
Whoa! I'm all about raw cookie dough, but raw YEAST dough could get you in serious trouble. :-X

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #271 on: November 08, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »
VorGuy grew up getting a taste of cake batter, icing, and cookie dough when his mother or grandmothers baked.  A scraping of what was left in the mixing bowl after the rest was baking in the oven, it was common in the 1950s, 1960s, and even 1970s - until public awareness about salmonella in raw eggs became a concern.

The first thing he did when he moved out on his own was make a bowl of cake batter (mix) and eat the whole thing.  Then he got frosting (mix or can, I do not remember) and ate that whole bowl, too.

He enjoyed doing it - until the stomache ache set in about the time he finished the bowl of frosting...........apparently that ONE time did fulfill his childhood fantasies, because ever since he's been satisfied with the scrapings of the mixing bowl (although he has suggested that I leave an extra spoonful in the bowl........).

I think the stomach ache convinced him that there was a reason that you didn't eat the whole cake, frosting & all, by yourself - whether it had been baked or not..............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #272 on: November 08, 2011, 11:53:07 PM »
So what is his preference?  Raw or baked?  I'm giggling over the whole scenario - him opening the tube, putting the dough on a plate, carefully spreading the icing.....

I had a suspicion, which I've now confirmed with my husband. The conversation went like this:

Me: When you used to eat raw cinnamon buns, did you put them on a plate?
Him: No! [looking at me like I'm insane for asking]

He ate them right out of the tube.  :D

Nowadays he does prefer them baked, at least.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #273 on: November 10, 2011, 05:52:00 AM »
Whoa! I'm all about raw cookie dough, but raw YEAST dough could get you in serious trouble. :-X

Why?  My kids eat the bread dough all the time! Am I poisoning them?? Eek!

exitzero

« Reply #274 on: November 10, 2011, 07:10:01 AM »
Many years ago I had a cat. If I called him, he would always come running.

One night I called him, nothing. I went outside to look for him, and there he was up against the house, kind of hidden in the shadows. He had a new little friend with him.

I was talking baby talk to him, telling him how nice it was that he had a new friend, when somewhere in the back of my mind a voice said, "I don't think his new cat friend should have a white stripe down his back".

The brain figured out long before the body did that this new friend was not a cat. I couldn't move fast enough to avoid both of us getting full on sprayed by a skunk.

Neither of us was very happy.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #275 on: November 10, 2011, 07:11:56 AM »
I'm just about to have warmed up meatballs for lunch...
NE England

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #276 on: November 10, 2011, 10:43:48 AM »
exitzero, I'm having visions of Pepe le Pew...

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #277 on: November 10, 2011, 12:13:21 PM »
exitzero, I'm having visions of Pepe le Pew...

Lol!  Me too!  I actually "heard" the last bit of that post in a French accent.

"Oh, ze Mademoiselle, she is playing ze hard to get!"   ;D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #278 on: November 10, 2011, 02:56:48 PM »
I have set my oven on fire a few times doing this.  Once I had a store bought plastic tub of cookies in the oven and went to bake a pizza.  The plastic melted and some of the melty bits flamed in the bottom of the oven.

I've also accidentally set a piece of paper on a hot burner and lit my stove on fire.  I've turned on the wrong burner and set and burned up a box of pasta too.

I set my kitchen on fire frighteningly often.  I keep a huge thing of salt by my stove for putting out fires now.

I once made a tray of brownies in a glass pan. I've done it a million times, no problem. They bake just fine, and I put the pan on the stove to cool.

I have no idea HOW I managed this, but apparently I bumped a knob and turned the burner on.

Roomie & I are hanging out in the living room, and suddenly BOOOM! The brownies exploded. Broken glass (mostly in nice big pieces, thank goodness) and brownie bits everywhere, and flaming brownies on the burner.

That was the day I learned the fire extinguishers make a BIG MESS. I was cleaning that up for a week, and finding bits I'd missed for far longer.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

parrot_girl

« Reply #279 on: November 12, 2011, 09:55:15 PM »
I can add another one. I decided to sterilise Baby Budgie's dummies (pacifiers, for North American ehellions) by boiling them on the stovetop. No dramas, I thought, I'll just put them on to boil and set the timer for 5 minutes and go and change the Budgie's nappy in the meantime.
I can't hear the timer from the Budgie's room
and I forgot about the dummies
and by the time I remembered, and went sprinting back to the kitchen, the saucepan had boiled dry and the outside part of the dummies had melted and was starting to char, and acrid white smoke had filled the kitchen. One ruined saucepan and two ruined dummies! Not to mention having every single window and door open as well as every fan I could find going.
The amusing part was that the silicon teats hadn't melted at all, so what was in the saucepan was a puddle of white, slightly burned on one side, with two teats poking up out of it. It looked like slightly obscene fried egg. :)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #280 on: November 12, 2011, 09:57:02 PM »
I can add another one. I decided to sterilise Baby Budgie's dummies (pacifiers, for North American ehellions) by boiling them on the stovetop. No dramas, I thought, I'll just put them on to boil and set the timer for 5 minutes and go and change the Budgie's nappy in the meantime.
and by the time I remembered, and went sprinting back to the kitchen, the saucepan had boiled dry and the outside part of the dummies had melted and was starting to char, and acrid white smoke had filled the kitchen. One ruined saucepan and two ruined dummies! Not to mention having every single window and door open as well as every fan I could find going.
The amusing part was that the silicon teats hadn't melted at all, so what was in the saucepan was a puddle of white, slightly burned on one side, with two teats poking up out of it. It looked like slightly obscene fried egg. :)

I know that you probably didn't take pictures, but if you had it would have been interesting!

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #281 on: November 12, 2011, 10:10:31 PM »

OH!!!  I'm so glad that was the only damage.  A friend of mine had a small kitchen fire because she left the kettle on.  I am not fully conversant with the details, but apparently the kettle boiled dry and the heating element just kept going until the pan the water was in (a very low quality aluminum) melted.  I think something plastic - the handle maybe - touch the heating coil and melted to it while part of it burned. 
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #282 on: November 12, 2011, 11:38:23 PM »
I know all this talk about mandolins has to do with the mandolin slicers, but I keep picturing the mandolin string instrument and trying to play one in Kevlar gloves.

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2011, 05:37:37 AM »
I don't know how I did this but...

I hit myself in the head with my hairdryer.

How? It's a long/large hairdryer and I have short arms.

It's actually amazing that I've never done this before in the 2.5 years I've owned it (unless I'm shrinking!)

It hurt, I now have a very tender spot on my forehead  :( Luckily no visible bruising.
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

Melle

« Reply #284 on: November 14, 2011, 05:46:31 AM »
I don't know how I did this but...

I hit myself in the head with my hairdryer.

Don't worry, I've done this countless times, and my hairdryer is very very small. Okay, then again, I am a clutz...