Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 161476 times)

Pippen

Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #645 on: September 24, 2012, 12:52:45 AM »
Trying to flip a 40 pound board over while I was holding it parallel to the ground at chest height.  I lost my grip because of the way I was holding it and the way I tried to flip it, and dropped it.  I moved fast enough to avoid having it land on my feet and break something, but it bounced off my thigh and left a fairly impressive bruise - raised about half an inch and bigger than an egg!

I was trying to take down some shelving in the attic and all the screws were different heads and so I had most of the out and couldn't be bothered faffing around so I thought 'Stuff it. I'll just kick it down' Cue the shelf coming flying back hitting me in the face and then taking off half my shin for good measure. I have no sympathy for myself. I am a horses rear end.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #646 on: September 25, 2012, 08:53:53 PM »
Trying to flip a 40 pound board over while I was holding it parallel to the ground at chest height.  I lost my grip because of the way I was holding it and the way I tried to flip it, and dropped it.  I moved fast enough to avoid having it land on my feet and break something, but it bounced off my thigh and left a fairly impressive bruise - raised about half an inch and bigger than an egg!

I was trying to take down some shelving in the attic and all the screws were different heads and so I had most of the out and couldn't be bothered faffing around so I thought 'Stuff it. I'll just kick it down' Cue the shelf coming flying back hitting me in the face and then taking off half my shin for good measure. I have no sympathy for myself. I am a horses rear end.

I once went to put my parents' dog out on his long tie-out (back yard not fully fenced) which hung on a small hook low to the ground.  When I straightened up, I whacked my head on the doorknob.  Angry at both myself and the door, I yelled a not-very-polite word and kicked the door as hard as I could, breaking two toes.  The door rebounded and the knob nailed me right on the hip, leaving a huge bruise besides.

I am also a horse's rear end.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Pippen

« Reply #647 on: September 25, 2012, 08:57:49 PM »

I once went to put my parents' dog out on his long tie-out (back yard not fully fenced) which hung on a small hook low to the ground.  When I straightened up, I whacked my head on the doorknob.  Angry at both myself and the door, I yelled a not-very-polite word and kicked the door as hard as I could, breaking two toes.  The door rebounded and the knob nailed me right on the hip, leaving a huge bruise besides.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #648 on: September 25, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »

All of these have me laughing like a hyena, not because of what you did, but HOW you did it, as I am the queen of klutzeness.

this one though, is courtesy of my mom.  she is in a wheelchair, and also hard of hearing so she wears hearing aids.  She also has bad allergies and post nasal drip, which will sometimes give her coughing fits in the middle of hte night.  so she has one, and sits up and is fumbling on her nightstand for a tissue to blow her nose.

She feels something go "ping" and onto the floor, but doesn't know exactly what.  In the morning, she gets up, gets into her chair, and CRUNCH, runs over that something she knocked on the floor.  Which turned out to be her hearing aid!  it was beyond repair and I cracked up hysterically when she told me, again, not what she did, but how she did it. After having to spend a couple thousand on a new one, she is now VERY careful as to where she puts them at night!

katycoo

« Reply #649 on: September 25, 2012, 11:51:15 PM »
My personal best effort - I had just purchased a new cigarette lighter, but it didn't seem to be working.  It was one of those ones without a wheel - the safety was that you had to push in the latch to depress the spark.
Someone suggested I hold it up to my ear to hear if the gas was flowing.  So I held it up to my ear, and sparked it, where it promptly set fire to my hair.  Not in a serious manner, but still...

Now, I don't know if I missed the "let it cool a while first" instruction, but boiling hot stock + very cold bowl = booom!

This is very similar to something stupid I did.  Mine was a collective of stupid.  Myself, DH and 2 friends (ALL SOBER) were making mulled wine on the stove top.  Its finished, and we're getting ready to serve, and I toguht "wouldn't this be prettier if it was in a jug, and not a saucepan?"  So I grabbed a glass jug (and wedding gift) and poured the boiling hot liquid into it.

THe very thick base of the base blew off.  Thank goodness it was in the sink so we didn't all getcovered with glass and hot liquid!

I still can't fathom how not one of us didn't twig that it was a bad idead.

I was trying to boil sugar once, but my candy thermometer said it wasn't getting hot and it wasn't boiling at that point so I brilliantly stuck my finger into the pot to see if it was hot.  It was.  I ended up sleeping with a piece of Aloe on my finger.

I think we've all done that "Is this thing hot?" *touch* YES!

Bluenomi

« Reply #650 on: September 26, 2012, 12:54:18 AM »
Last month we went to my dad's company picnic.  They have it every year, and you need tickets to get in.  The tickets must be bought in advance, and this was done without a hitch.  The car ride was about 15 to 20 minutes long (give or take), and when we got there my mom asked my dad, "Got the tickets?" 

His response?  "Oh, son of a..."

We had to go back and get them.  To make matters worse, even though I don't get carsick, the road had a lot of bends and twists.  We got home, and I wasn't feeling too extra.  By the time we got back to the park, I was pretty green.  My dad, however, was red.

My dad and I were traveling in Europe, and he got annoyed with me when I asked him every time we left for somewhere "do you have your passport?" So as we got on the train from Munich to Salzburg, I didn't say anything. Halfway there, he suddenly realized that he had actually forgotten his passport. I got off at Salzburg as planned, and he rode all the way back to Munich and had to talk his way through to actually go get his passport from our hotel where he'd left it. (I didn't think they'd let him back!) I was in Salzburg for about 4 hours or so on my own waiting for him. 

He didn't get mad at me for asking if he had his passport the rest of the trip. :)

I once had a trip where I visited my parents for a few days before going overseas. On the morning Dad was going to drive me the hour or so to the airport I realised my passport was still at home, a 5 hour drive away.

Thank goodness my flat mate was at home and not doing anything with her public holiday that day. She grabbed my passport and drove to a town 2.5 hours from our place and Dad and I drove there to meet her. I got the passport off her (complete with a smack around the head for being a twit) and we raced to the airport and I just made check in on time.

Flatmate and Dad both got awesome presents when I got home!

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #651 on: September 26, 2012, 02:19:33 AM »
I did something sort of absent minded tonight.  I have dinner planned for tomorrow; spaghetti with homemade sauce, and garlic cheese bread.  Well, I thought I'd make the garlic oil ahead of time so that I wouldn't have to do it tomorrow, and I was busy talking back and forth to someone in the living room as I was filling the blender.  For the garlic oil, it's about 8 cloves of garlic, the leaves from 6 to 8 fresh sprigs of parsley, and about a half-cup of olive oil.  I got distracted while I was talking, and I started the blender before I realized I had forgotten to peel the garlic.  Oops...

Probably wouldn't have hurt anyone to eat it, but I threw it away and started over.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #652 on: September 26, 2012, 09:22:36 AM »
I will never live down my mother's hysterical laughter (as she wrapped my hand in a towel) after nearly cutting my finger to the bone with children's plastic safety scissors, at the ripe old age of 12.

Nor my father's look of horror when we were trying to pull in a boat to shore (small powerboat, beaching it to fix a problem with a bench) and I wrapped the rope around my hand for a better grip - except that I was on the FRONT of the line, not the back, and mom and sister were hauling away on the back end of said rope.

It's frankly a miracle I'm alive, and haven't accidentally decapitated myself with my moonroof or something.

Cami

« Reply #653 on: September 26, 2012, 10:37:28 AM »
Son was in the university marching band and we were taking him to catch the bus to perform in a Bowl game, about a 3 hour drive from home to the university. Son was driving, husband was riding shotgun and I was peacefully crocheting in the back seat, when about 30 minutes into the the trip I said jokingly, "Did you pack your uniform?"

I don't know how we made it home and back to the bus in time!

Many years ago, we were driving from our home to my parents' house to stay there overnight before dh had to go into large neighboring city the next morning for a job interview. The drive from our home to my parents' house was 4 hours. My dh is not the world's best packer, but had gotten frustrated with me asking him, "Do you have your belt/dress shoes/tie?" So when we were leaving the house that  morning and I asked, "Did you remember--" He interrupted me with a protest, "Stop asking me! I'm not a child." Okay, fine. So we get to my parents' house and are bringing our stuff in and my mother asks him, "So what suit are you wearing tomorrow?"

Dead silence.

He forgot the suit back home. It was now too late to go to a local store since it was past closing time. He had to get back into his car and drive four hours there and then four hours back.

I may have smirked a little.

The next time we're going somewhere, I again begin to ask him, "Did you remember--" And he -- foolish man -- cuts me off and insists he's got everything. About an hour into the drive, he lets out this deep sigh and pulls the car over to turn it around. I naturally ask what's wrong and he says, sheepishly, "I forgot my suit again."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #654 on: September 26, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
Son was in the university marching band and we were taking him to catch the bus to perform in a Bowl game, about a 3 hour drive from home to the university. Son was driving, husband was riding shotgun and I was peacefully crocheting in the back seat, when about 30 minutes into the the trip I said jokingly, "Did you pack your uniform?"

I don't know how we made it home and back to the bus in time!

Many years ago, we were driving from our home to my parents' house to stay there overnight before dh had to go into large neighboring city the next morning for a job interview. The drive from our home to my parents' house was 4 hours. My dh is not the world's best packer, but had gotten frustrated with me asking him, "Do you have your belt/dress shoes/tie?" So when we were leaving the house that  morning and I asked, "Did you remember--" He interrupted me with a protest, "Stop asking me! I'm not a child." Okay, fine. So we get to my parents' house and are bringing our stuff in and my mother asks him, "So what suit are you wearing tomorrow?"

Dead silence.

He forgot the suit back home. It was now too late to go to a local store since it was past closing time. He had to get back into his car and drive four hours there and then four hours back.

I may have smirked a little.

The next time we're going somewhere, I again begin to ask him, "Did you remember--" And he -- foolish man -- cuts me off and insists he's got everything. About an hour into the drive, he lets out this deep sigh and pulls the car over to turn it around. I naturally ask what's wrong and he says, sheepishly, "I forgot my suit again."

Revenge is a dish best served to those you love.  :D

CakeBeret

« Reply #655 on: September 26, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »

Reminds me of my 2-year-old when we were trying to teach him to stay away from the stove. I was cooking pancakes and he walked up and poked the skillet saying "Dat's hot". Then screeched, because the skillet WAS actually hot and he had burned his finger. ::)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #656 on: September 26, 2012, 11:48:15 AM »

Reminds me of my 2-year-old when we were trying to teach him to stay away from the stove. I was cooking pancakes and he walked up and poked the skillet saying "Dat's hot". Then screeched, because the skillet WAS actually hot and he had burned his finger. ::)

My best friend was once in the kitchen with her daughter (about a year and a half) and her niece (about three or four years old), cooking on the stove.  Niece kept messing around near the stove in spite of my friend's warnings to keep her distance, and her daughter even kept saying "Hot!  Hot!"

Niece ended up touching the stove and getting (minorly) burned, and we still find it amusing that a barely-even-toddler had figured it out where the old-enough-to-know-better had not.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #657 on: September 26, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »
My most memorable one to date was the day I accidentally flushed some underpants down our toilet.

I AM SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY PERSON THAT'S DONE THIS!!!!  ;D

curly sue

« Reply #658 on: September 26, 2012, 01:47:31 PM »
My most memorable one to date was the day I accidentally flushed some underpants down our toilet.

I didn't flush the underpants down the toilet but I think mine is worse. I forgot to pull the underpants off before I used the potty. At least it was only pee! But, I have to be the only person on the whole earth to pee my  underpants while sitting on the toilet!!!!

I did have to take them off and throw them away. I had no way to clean them up because I was at work.

alkira6

« Reply #659 on: September 26, 2012, 01:54:09 PM »

I didn't flush the underpants down the toilet but I think mine is worse. I forgot to pull the underpants off before I used the potty. At least it was only pee! But, I have to be the only person on the whole earth to pee my  underpants while sitting on the toilet!!!!

I did have to take them off and throw them away. I had no way to clean them up because I was at work.

Raised hand  :-[ I did this - long drive home. I rushed into the house, pulled down my pants, and sat down with a long sigh of relief only to realize that I forgot the undies.  DH still cracks jokes about that.