News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 08:32:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 366426 times)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #735 on: March 08, 2013, 06:27:53 PM »
Cooked hamburger patties are relatively low moisture, so that's why the McDonald's cheeseburger and Diane's didn't get moldy. I don't know that I'd eat a six month old cheeseburger even if I didn't see mold, though (but a cheeseburger wouldn't last six days in my house).

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #736 on: March 08, 2013, 07:01:59 PM »
UPDATE:

I still function!

More importantly, other than some minor gas, the burger does not seem to have negatively impacted me.  Yay for science!

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #737 on: March 10, 2013, 09:30:50 PM »
Don't attempt to walk down stairs in stilettos while drinking from a glass bottle.

Fortunately I managed to fling the Coke bottle across my living room and throw my other hand out so I didn't slam my head into the door frame opposite my stairs. Now I have a sprained thumb, a series of bruises up one side of my body, a scraped shin (how I did that I don't know) and freshly mopped floors.

Amara

« Reply #738 on: March 10, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »
Don't attempt to walk down stairs in stilettos while drinking from a glass bottle.

Fortunately I managed to fling the Coke bottle across my living room and throw my other hand out so I didn't slam my head into the door frame opposite my stairs. Now I have a sprained thumb, a series of bruises up one side of my body, a scraped shin (how I did that I don't know) and freshly mopped floors.

Following up on that, I can add: Don't move a wine rack without emptying it first. If you do, you take a chance that it will snag on something, spill some of the bottles out whereupon one will break and spray (good) red wine all over the floor, counters, shoes, walls, and rugs. When you get down to clean it up, you will use at least one sheet, one bath towel, a full roll of paper towels, a cupful of vinegar, and even then you will have a cloud of red wine hanging about your head for two full days afterward, making you sick. Oh, and be sure to wash that bathrobe you were wearing. Alone. In cold water. First. Then throw out the bath towel and sheet. The trash collectors might have opinions about your lifestyle when they come on Monday mornings but never mind that.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #739 on: March 10, 2013, 09:59:35 PM »
Tonight I burned the rice because I forgot to turn the heat down to let it simmer.  I've never done that before (I swear!), and up until then I was feeling pretty pleased with how efficiently I was managing my time and three hot pots.  What I got was a nasty mess in one pan, a burned thumb, and a boiling temper.

The rest of the meal was good, though.  I didn't want rice anyway.  :P

Gyburc

« Reply #740 on: March 11, 2013, 06:51:43 AM »
That's like telling someone "Don't slip", then promptly landing on your behind.

ROFL!  Oh, I've done that!!  When I was working at a fast-food place, long, long ago, the person before me had not emptied out the grease trap to the grill.  So I emptied it, then mopped up the spilled grease so no one would slip on the greasy floor.
Then I promptly slipped on the wet floor.   And landed ON THE GRILL.

The burned arm took 2 years to heal properly.

I used to lead a team at Habitat for Humanity. One day I was giving my usual safety lecture, winding up as usual with "And don't get hurt because the nearest ER is 30 minutes away!", then promptly slipped and fell into a ditch filled with broken cement blocks. I gave myself a concussion and ripped a whole in my leg down to the muscle. Then I got to give an impromptu first aid course and directions to said nearest ER.

I know of someone who teaches historical swordsmanship, and was giving a class, using live steel (a sharp replica sword). I believe he had just covered the safety aspects before he shifted from one stance into another, and in the process stabbed the sharp sword quite deeply into his own thigh.

I'm afraid to say the gentleman in question wasn't terribly popular, and as a result this has now become legend.  >:D
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

siamesecat2965

« Reply #741 on: March 11, 2013, 09:45:15 AM »
Mine is minor, but still very annoying. I cleaned on Sat, then went to work from 5-9. After I got home, all i had to do was put clean sheets on my bed. So its about midnight, and i set my clock ahead, making it almost 1am. I change my sheets, make the bed nicely, and go to put the "dirty" ones in the hamper. ONly to find the fitted sheet is missing. I had neglected to remove it and made the bed OVER it. I thought about it, then just pulled it all apart and started over. Note to self: change sheets when you're more awake.

Margo

« Reply #742 on: March 11, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
I had a car-related one.

One day, my car's gearbox broke, and I couldn't get reverse gear. I was very proud of myself for managing to get out of the parking space I was in despite this, then  phoned Dave-at-the-garage who said to bring it straight down and he'd check it out for me. So, I drove back home, intending to drive pas t the house, and on down to the garage.  And then, on autopilot, turned in through the gateway at home and parked in my usual spot between the wall and my parents car.

At which point I remembered the part about having no reverse gear. And that the gateway is pretty narrow, so not one which the tow-truck fits through easily.

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #743 on: March 11, 2013, 11:06:40 PM »

A brief follow-up: don't start your work day filled with meetings and while wearing a white shirt by picking up a cup of very hot tea with your hand that has a sprained thumb.

I now have a new keyboard and am on the hunt for a new white tea.

scotcat60

« Reply #744 on: March 12, 2013, 07:49:11 AM »
I once mixed up mouthwash and pine scented disinfectant, they were both green. However, I was cleaning a comb which had fallen on the floor, so I did not rinse my mouth with disinfectant. I just wondered why the comb smelled of mint and not pine.

Rohanna

« Reply #745 on: March 12, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »
I once brushed my teeth with conditioner (the little tubes that come with hair dye? Yeh... at 530am my brain said "that tube MUST be toothpaste").... bleurgh :(
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Shalamar

« Reply #746 on: March 12, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »
I once grabbed a bottle of contact lens cleaner that looked a bit like my eye drops and squirted some in my eye.  "OW!  Geez!  That hurts!  What the heck?"  ... and then I did the same to the other eye.   ???

TylerBelle

« Reply #747 on: March 12, 2013, 03:47:15 PM »
One night I laid the tv remote beside my pillow and went on to sleep. Next day when needing the remote, I couldn't find it. I moved the pillows around, blankets, searched under and around the bed, every where in the room, and no remote. I even looked a bit around the house, wondering perhaps I picked it up without thinking. Nope, still no sign of it. It'd been missing for a few days when one night in bed, my hand came to rest on the pillow and there was something hard there at the end of it - the remote. Apparently, when I moved around the pillows earlier, the remote had gotten caught up into the pillowcase and slid all the way to the other end of it, and there it stayed while I searched and also slept next to it. ::)
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #748 on: March 12, 2013, 05:02:15 PM »
Was having a bad day in a bad last week.  That morning, it wasn't until I went to put on clothes that I found I had used toothpaste not deodorant.  I had to have another shower which made my armpits fizz up in blue bubbles.  I think I will go back to toothpaste in a tube from now on.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #749 on: March 13, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
Just as a word of warning to you folks out there:

When you're plugging in a lamp in a dark room, DO NOT touch the prongs to make it easier to guide the plug into the socket.   

I did this.  Twice.    I'm surprised I don't have curly hair.

Related: If you have an extension cord with a plastic housing at the end for the outlets, and that plastic breaks, make SURE it's unplugged before you pick it up to examine it.  M could hear my scream from downstairs, outside, in the car.  Luckily, it was a total reflex scream (current'll do that) and I dropped it QUICK.