Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 133635 times)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #825 on: April 26, 2013, 11:22:11 PM »
Today I took one of the dogs for a walk through town.  (The other one made it abundantly clear she wasn't interested and hid behind the lounge.)

Not a problem until Miss Suzi decided she must go #2s on the footpath.  And I had forgotten to bring a baggie with me.

The only 'spare' bit of paper I had on me big enough to do the cleanup was a copy of a direct debit form with my credit card, signature and security number on it.  So, that's what got used.  But then I had to bring it home in the car and work out a way to dispose of it without getting the details out in public. 

Mind you, it would have to be a very keen scammer to try to retrieve the information!

Brain fluff yesterday as well - I decided this was going to be the Soup Weekend*, so I bought a ton of stuff to make soup with.  And the tinned chickpeas I bought aren't, they're white beans.  Sigh.  Oh well, they went in anyway.

* I spend a couple of days making and freezing soups to fill the freezer every year, they're great to haul out when I don't feel like cooking.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #826 on: April 27, 2013, 09:03:14 AM »
We made the white bean for chick pea mistake once when we were making hummus. 

Best hummus we ever made  :D

Eeep!

« Reply #827 on: April 27, 2013, 06:30:44 PM »
Along the same note:  I was using a brand-new mandolin to slice potatoes, and didn't like the way the guard held onto the piece of potato.  So, put the guard aside and kept slicing.

You know that jolt you feel when you slice your finger with a knife, it's almost like biting into a piece of foil, you feel a charge??  Multiply that by 10. 

I COULD.NOT.STOP the bleeding.  But the pain...oh the pain.  As soon as DH asked why the bandaids were out, I broke down into a torrent of tears. 

I got lucky, since it was a brand-new one, the slice was clean and while it covered quite of bit of surface area of the side of my thumb, it wasn't very deep.  No scar.

Mandolins are evil. That is all.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #828 on: April 27, 2013, 06:43:35 PM »
Along the same note:  I was using a brand-new mandolin to slice potatoes, and didn't like the way the guard held onto the piece of potato.  So, put the guard aside and kept slicing.

You know that jolt you feel when you slice your finger with a knife, it's almost like biting into a piece of foil, you feel a charge??  Multiply that by 10. 

I COULD.NOT.STOP the bleeding.  But the pain...oh the pain.  As soon as DH asked why the bandaids were out, I broke down into a torrent of tears. 

I got lucky, since it was a brand-new one, the slice was clean and while it covered quite of bit of surface area of the side of my thumb, it wasn't very deep.  No scar.

Mandolins are evil. That is all.

Somewhere up thread there is a post of mine detailing my own encounter with a mandolin.
And...
There is a second mandolin tale that I posted about a week later.

I be live the collective wisdom of the Ehellions was "Get rid of the evil thing." ;D

(I didn't listen, but I must have learned because I have not had to make any more mandolin posts!)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #829 on: April 27, 2013, 09:39:07 PM »
We made the white bean for chick pea mistake once when we were making hummus. 

Best hummus we ever made  :D

Both of yesterday's soups turned out delicious, white beans and all!   ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #830 on: April 27, 2013, 10:35:38 PM »
White beans are awesome! I make pasta, soup, and cold salads with them.

mmswm

« Reply #831 on: April 28, 2013, 12:50:13 PM »
White beans are awesome! I make pasta, soup, and cold salads with them.

I agree.  I developed an allergy to tomatoes as an adult (well, that's debatable, apparently, I reacted strongly when I was still a fetus and a nursing infant whenever my mother ate tomatoes, which I didn't know until just recently).  Anyway, I've had to alter a number of recipes.  I love chili, but pinto beans don't work well with a white chili.  I switched to Great Northern and other white beans and it was fantastic. :)

sempronialou

• semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #832 on: April 28, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
I feel so stupid.  I forgot to lock my car last night.  This morning I woke up to a ransacked car.  The thief got away with my GPS, a really outdated ipod nano that keeps crashing, and a bunch of change.  So it's a lesson to me to remember to lock my car and not keep anything valuable in there. 

NyaChan

« Reply #833 on: April 28, 2013, 02:09:09 PM »
I feel so stupid.  I forgot to lock my car last night.  This morning I woke up to a ransacked car.  The thief got away with my GPS, a really outdated ipod nano that keeps crashing, and a bunch of change.  So it's a lesson to me to remember to lock my car and not keep anything valuable in there.

(((HUGS)))

It happens to us all at one point or another - I was stupid once and left my gps attached to my windshield in a bad part of town.  Came back to find my front window smashed and my valuables gone. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #834 on: April 28, 2013, 03:36:08 PM »

I did that a couple years ago.  I didn't lock the car because it was in the garage.  But I left the dang garage door open.  They only got a couple pairs of sunglasses and for some unknown reason, they left the ball glove behind.  It was worth a heck of a lot more than the glasses, combined!  And working in a new ball glove is a royal pain in the backside.

So you are not alone.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

sempronialou

• semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #835 on: April 28, 2013, 08:23:12 PM »
^^Thanks, Outdoor Girl and NyaChan,  I feel bit better.  I cleaned and reorganized my car (in the rain unfortunately).   The thief or thieves opened the trunk and rifled through there.  They ignored the percussion instruments that had some value.   I'm glad those were not taken since I really need them for work.  There was a trail of change leading from my door to the trunk and down the driveway a bit.  I think they were in a hurry and just wanted electronics that were quick and easy.  It's kind of funny that they took the GPS out of the glove compartment and the charger that goes with it which was still hooked in the outlet.  They went to the trouble of closing the cap on on the outlet despite their hurry.  I'm not replacing my GPS unit since it's pain for me to keep the maps updated.  I'm using my phone instead for mapping and directions. The app is way cheaper than another GPS unit. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #836 on: April 28, 2013, 09:35:02 PM »
DH used my GPS for work, since he didn't have one. He had parked behind his shop, in the rain, and came out an hour later to find the window bashed in, beer glass everywhere, beer poured all over the passenger seat, standing water in his truck, and the GPS unit gone. We reported the theft and the serial number, but the GPS was never found.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #837 on: April 29, 2013, 06:32:57 PM »
Tattling on my CW --

CW did not receive her license plate/registration renewal form . . . it was due at the end of that month. She called the secy/state and asked them to send her a new form. No problem, she should receive it in 5 business days.

She called them back 2 weeks later saying that she still hadn't receive the form. They said that they mailed it out a week ago. She asked could she pay for the sticker over the phone so that she didn't have to wait for the form? No problem. She'll receive the sticker in 5-10 business days.

CW comes in the next day and says "I'm an idiot. I found the form in my recycle bin." But, no problem, she doesn't need the form any more, right?

A week later she walks into work with her envelope where there should have been a sticker. She said "I'm jinxed! There is no sticker in the envelope!" To her credit, she showed the envelope to another CW. "This is where the sticker is supposed to be, right?" other CW agreed with her, "all there is is an imprint!, the envelope doesn't look tampered with. This is really odd." (I did not see the envelope.)

She called secy/state back and asked "What do I do now? The sticker needs to be on my plate today!" She was told to take the registration envelope to the local DMV, they'd be able to issue her a sticker. They apologized and said it was an odd occurrence.

CW left work early, stood in line for 1+ hours, got to the counter, politely explained her story of woe, asked "Would you please be able to issue me a sticker today. I don't want to get a ticket." then passed her envelope to the DMV worker.

DMV worker looked at the envelope, bent it back where the sticker was supposed to be and said:

DMVw: The sticker is right here.

CW: What? No way!

DMVw: Take a look. This month's sticker is white.

CW: I'm soooo sorry for taking up your time. Please do me a favor. Don't tell anybody that I've been here.

DMVw: Honestly? I really have to tell. You made my day! Can I tell please?

CW: Okay, fine. You can tell. Just please wait until I get out of the building? Please?

Other CW swore up and down that it did not look like a sticker was there.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #838 on: April 29, 2013, 07:14:53 PM »
Here in my corner of Canada, we are having a tediously looooong winter.
Case in point - there has been snow falling for 201 days, including 4 inches this morning. (That's 55% of the year, for those of you who were about to do the math.)

The fact that winter has been here so long may...*may* explain DragonSon's plight.

See, we have a fairly small fridge. And in the winter, we use our garage as additional cold storage.
We *only* use it when the outside temps are below freezing. The heater keeps the garage at a chill 2 degrees C.

As spring started to show evidence of arrival and temps rose above freezing, we stopped storing food out there.

Apparently, DragonSon did not get the memo, because there was a case of his favourite dairy-yogurt beverage out there. I saw it when I left for work this morning.
I didn't think much about it except "Hmm. Wonder how long that's been there? It got to 20C today! Must remember to toss it."

Last night, DragonSon was very, very violently ill. The only person in the house affected.
And, as it turns out, the only person who drank the dairy drink that had been sitting in the warm garage for several days  :P

Umm. Yeah.
The drink is now gone.
DragonSon may (or may not!) be somewhat wiser... ::)
DragonSon is recovering.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #839 on: April 29, 2013, 08:09:13 PM »

(((HUGS)))

It happens to us all at one point or another - I was stupid once and left my gps attached to my windshield in a bad part of town.  Came back to find my front window smashed and my valuables gone. 

We got home from an all day drive (10 or 12 hours is "all day, right?) and tumbled into the house with our suitcases well after bedtime, knowing that we had work the next morning.  VorGuy apparently forgot to lock the door - because our Ford Pinto got broken into during the night.  They stole the radio.

Which had been disconnected quickly in Texas a couple of days earlier when wires started sparking......just reach up and PULL the wires (after market radio - the wires were visible).

I always wondered what happened to the car the thief tried installing it in........

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

At about the same time frame, Lil Sis had the hatchback in her vehicle smashed in and her collection of music stolen.  It was an older car - with an 8 track tape player and a cassette player.  The 8 track tapes were no longer being sold - but having all the music stolen made it difficult to listen to anything on her commute to work in Houston (radio didn't work well on that vehicle).  A cup of change for toll booths was also missing - that was when they started buying the stickers for the toll roads instead (recent innovation, at the time).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:14:21 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?