Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 164087 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #840 on: April 29, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »
We made the white bean for chick pea mistake once when we were making hummus. 

Best hummus we ever made  :D
I prefer white beans to chick peas.  My favorite beans are great northern whites.  Mm-m-m  They make tasty soups, too.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #841 on: April 29, 2013, 09:21:17 PM »
I feel so stupid.  I forgot to lock my car last night.  This morning I woke up to a ransacked car.  The thief got away with my GPS, a really outdated ipod nano that keeps crashing, and a bunch of change.  So it's a lesson to me to remember to lock my car and not keep anything valuable in there.
First (((HUGS)))
I've done that before.  Fortunately, we live in a condo with full time security staff and they called me to let me know I left the door open.  Not just unlocked, but open! D'oh!  I can't count the times they called me to remind me that I left the overhead light on in the car.  If it is left on overnight, the car won't start in the morning.  We have a "jump box," so it doesn't take long for me to get the car started.  It's just better done the night before instead of when DH needs to be at the radio station because his show starts in 15 minutes.

Spinning slightly off topic:  I've seen people post comments about timeliness and whether or not it is a big deal to be a couple minutes late to work.  My job doesn't care if I get there on time or 5 minutes late.  Even though DH is a volunteer, but he needs to be there before his show starts.  He plans ahead and is usually there 20 minutes before his show starts, but if someone delays him or the car doesn't start, the consequences are painful.  They won't fire him, but lots of people will know he is not punctual.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #842 on: April 29, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »
I feel so stupid.  I forgot to lock my car last night.  This morning I woke up to a ransacked car.  The thief got away with my GPS, a really outdated ipod nano that keeps crashing, and a bunch of change.  So it's a lesson to me to remember to lock my car and not keep anything valuable in there.
First (((HUGS)))
I've done that before.  Fortunately, we live in a condo with full time security staff and they called me to let me know I left the door open.  Not just unlocked, but open! D'oh!  I can't count the times they called me to remind me that I left the overhead light on in the car.  If it is left on overnight, the car won't start in the morning.  We have a "jump box," so it doesn't take long for me to get the car started.  It's just better done the night before instead of when DH needs to be at the radio station because his show starts in 15 minutes.

Spinning slightly off topic:  I've seen people post comments about timeliness and whether or not it is a big deal to be a couple minutes late to work.  My job doesn't care if I get there on time or 5 minutes late.  Even though DH is a volunteer, but he needs to be there before his show starts.  He plans ahead and is usually there 20 minutes before his show starts, but if someone delays him or the car doesn't start, the consequences are painful.  They won't fire him, but lots of people will know he is not punctual.

M has points docked if late to work... these points also can be assessed for a call out (i.e., unscheduled time off).  Seven points is a written warning.  Nine is fired.

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #843 on: April 29, 2013, 11:20:21 PM »
I had the opposite today.  I thought I had shut the garage door when I left.  Nope.  Came home and the stupid thing is open.  And I was gone all day long.  Nothing happened. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #844 on: April 30, 2013, 08:54:32 AM »
DH had left his windows slightly open at home, and when he came out a few hours later, his (new) GPS was disconnected and laying on the dash. Other things had been moved around as well. I had the "talk" with him that even though we have insurance, unless it is worth more than the deductible, we can't afford to replace these things right now!

I work in higher education, and have been in environments where punctuality was crucial. My current environment is not that way, and more emphasis is placed on being flexible when needed than being exactly on time. We also don't have scheduled lunches, so it is a different atmosphere.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #845 on: April 30, 2013, 01:51:55 PM »
Tattling on my CW --

CW did not receive her license plate/registration renewal form . . . it was due at the end of that month. She called the secy/state and asked them to send her a new form. No problem, she should receive it in 5 business days.

She called them back 2 weeks later saying that she still hadn't receive the form. They said that they mailed it out a week ago. She asked could she pay for the sticker over the phone so that she didn't have to wait for the form? No problem. She'll receive the sticker in 5-10 business days.

CW comes in the next day and says "I'm an idiot. I found the form in my recycle bin." But, no problem, she doesn't need the form any more, right?

A week later she walks into work with her envelope where there should have been a sticker. She said "I'm jinxed! There is no sticker in the envelope!" To her credit, she showed the envelope to another CW. "This is where the sticker is supposed to be, right?" other CW agreed with her, "all there is is an imprint!, the envelope doesn't look tampered with. This is really odd." (I did not see the envelope.)

She called secy/state back and asked "What do I do now? The sticker needs to be on my plate today!" She was told to take the registration envelope to the local DMV, they'd be able to issue her a sticker. They apologized and said it was an odd occurrence.

CW left work early, stood in line for 1+ hours, got to the counter, politely explained her story of woe, asked "Would you please be able to issue me a sticker today. I don't want to get a ticket." then passed her envelope to the DMV worker.

DMV worker looked at the envelope, bent it back where the sticker was supposed to be and said:

DMVw: The sticker is right here.

CW: What? No way!

DMVw: Take a look. This month's sticker is white.

CW: I'm soooo sorry for taking up your time. Please do me a favor. Don't tell anybody that I've been here.

DMVw: Honestly? I really have to tell. You made my day! Can I tell please?

CW: Okay, fine. You can tell. Just please wait until I get out of the building? Please?

Other CW swore up and down that it did not look like a sticker was there.

This reminds me of my friend/former neighbor. Who was going on and on about how strange it was that some notification that came with either her phone bill or other utility was all in spansih. She wasn't complaining about how they should ONLY be in English like many do, she just couldn't figure out why they did it. Hours later, she calls me in hysterics. Apparetnly it was in English on the OTHER side of the paper! I still haven't let her live that one down

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #846 on: May 05, 2013, 09:19:32 PM »
I forgot to take my upper-plate denture out Friday night.  (Don't have a lower.)  I wear a CPAP mask all night.  The pressure of the mask pads pressing into that denture forced it into that little membrane that hooks your upper lip to your gums. I tasted blood in the morning, but circumstances were such that I had to wear the denture all day Saturday and all day today.  It's sorer than blazes now.  :'(   Fortunately I'll be able to leave it out all day tomorrow.  Soft foods -- I can foresee a diet of soup and pudding in the morning, until it heals up enough to let me eat foods that actually have to be chewed instead of just swallowed.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nikko-chan

« Reply #847 on: July 14, 2013, 12:24:28 AM »
Reviving this thread:

Mischief the kitten is being well... lets just say he's living up to his name. I got a water gun from a friend for when he gets into places i don't want him. I found out you should never ever under any circumstances lay it anywhere, even if it is on a towel. The water gun is now empty and I have a large water spot on my bed. >.<

snowfire

« Reply #848 on: July 14, 2013, 12:40:03 AM »
Reviving this thread:

Mischief the kitten is being well... lets just say he's living up to his name. I got a water gun from a friend for when he gets into places i don't want him. I found out you should never ever under any circumstances lay it anywhere, even if it is on a towel. The water gun is now empty and I have a large water spot on my bed. >.<

;D ;D ;D  I still have the two BIG Super Soakers that DH & I got when our late kitty Deanna was a kitten.  (If I had known more about her personality when I named her, it would have been K'heylar.  She truly had a Klingon attitude.)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #849 on: July 14, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »
Don't try to simply walk off of your bed. The floor is a whole lot further away than you think.

Oh, and when helium balloons* lose some of their air? They tend to travel . . . why they travel toward a wind source (ceiling fan) is beyond me. You would think the wind would blow them further away. (If anybody could explain this phenomenon, I would appreciate it. Thanks!)

The other day I came home from work and heard a thump thump thump sound that was not normal. I went to my bedroom and sure enough there was one of the mylar balloons that DD#2 received for her beauty school graduation stuck in the ceiling fan.

The ceiling fan hangs smack-dab in the middle of my bed. There is no wall turn-off switch, just a pull chain. The pull chain got wrapped up in with the balloon string so I couldn't reach it.

I opened my door about 1/2 way so that I had something stable (yeah, door on hings, really stable) to hold onto while I stood on my bed . . . it's a water bed. Sooooo not easy to stand on ::). I finally got the fan turned off, the balloon and strings untangled, everything was hunky dory. No damage to the fan. Yea!

Stupid thing? Instead of sitting down on my bed (which would have been the safe thing to do) I reached for the door and tried to step down off of my bed.

Fortunately the door was there and all I got was a 4-inch bruise on my upper arm instead of taking a total tumble and ramming my head against the wall.

*We have a recessed ceiling area in our foyer where helium balloons are often decorations for birthday parties or other celebrations. The balloons stay contained in that area until they loose air . . . then they start to travel.

sevenday

« Reply #850 on: July 15, 2013, 12:43:59 AM »
Jumping in about the balloon.  The reason they travel toward a wind source indoors has to do with currents.  If the fan's on, air doesn't just move away from it, it moves toward it.  Circulating, y'know?  Outside of that well, the balloon's light enough to be caught in the current and thus sucked into the fan.  It's just a passive object, it has no ability to move itself out of the stream like birds do.  Paper presents a larger surface area for minute fluctuations in same current to knock it out of the current.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #851 on: July 15, 2013, 02:04:40 AM »
I am so sorry Jpcher but I just have to... again, sorry in advance...

One does not simply walk off the bed!

Cricket

« Reply #852 on: July 15, 2013, 07:23:53 AM »
jpcher, that made me laugh (because I'd probably have done the same!)

Last Christmas, my friend Jane was shouting a bunch of kids to the movies. No parents allowed! It was her Christmas present to the kids (movie) and the parents (a few precious hours free time just before Christmas).

Kids were to be dropped off at Jane's house by 10am. My son decided that he wanted to get Jane a present that was just from him, not us as a family. I put wrapping paper, scissors, sticky tape and a card in the boot. We stopped off at the local shops on the way to Jane's and he bought a Christmas mug and some of Jane's favourite chocolates to put inside the cup.

When we got back to the car, we were pushing it for time. I opened the boot, tossed my handbag and keys in, quickly wrapped the gift while DS was writing in the card, grabbed my handbag, slammed the boot closed and immediately started saying, "No,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no."

Yes, I'd locked my keys in the boot. Running through all the options to get DS to Jane's in 10 minutes. Auto club would take at least 30 minutes. Taxi - our small town only has one, I don't know the number, by the time I get the number and the taxi gets here maybe 15 minutes. Walking - 15 minutes. Jane might pass us unless she uses a different route. Call Jane to pick DS up on way through? Yes, CALL JANE!! Great idea!! Oh, *()(*, Jane's not answering her mobile. I don't have her landline in my mobile. Call DH. YES! Call DH. He probably doesn't know how to access the saved numbers on our phone, but I'm sure I can talk him through it in CRUD MONKEYS! 6 minutes!!

Me: DH, I've locked the keys in the boot and we need to be at Jane's in 6 minutes. Can you get her number out of the phone?

DH: How'd you lock the keys in the boot?

Me: I don't have time to explain. Can you get the number!!

DH: Have you got your handbag?

Me: Yes, it's just the keys locked in the boot. Can you get the number, pleeeeease!!!

DH: So you've got your wallet?

Me: Yes, BUT CAN YOU PLEASE JUST ...

DH: Don't you keep a spare key in your wallet?

Me: Why, yes, yes I do.

Vall

« Reply #853 on: July 15, 2013, 08:14:17 AM »
Cricket, I got such a giggle over you conversation about your keys.  Kudos to your DH for staying so calm.  If that had been my DH, he'd tease me about it (in a good way) for months.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #854 on: July 15, 2013, 09:01:09 AM »
I got up a little late this morning and got dressed, all my stuff stowed in my tote and was ready to go, but I didn't have the key fob for my car. I keep it separate from my giant ring of keys (more than half are for work).

Last time I drove it was Friday, so I checked the jeans I wore that day. Nada
Checked purse again.
Checked kitchen table.
Told DH.
Looked at kitchen table and counters again.
DH looks at me, and is holding my keys. They were on the table next to my chair. I never thought to look there.  ::)