News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 19, 2017, 07:45:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 329842 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #870 on: August 13, 2013, 03:07:25 PM »
Yes, thank goodness you're OK! Even better that it didn't short out your sense of humor.  ;)

cwm, that is sad about the lighting guy. Electricity is awesome, but also scary.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jilly

« Reply #871 on: August 13, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »
cwm I'm fine with sharing photos the only question is how?

Aunt4God

« Reply #872 on: September 14, 2013, 05:00:11 PM »
I have a few stories, but I'm going to start out with one about my mom.

My mom was baking a cake one day for some occasion.  It was a box cake, so all it needed was the water, oil, and eggs.  She had everything in the bowl except the eggs.  She was kinda "chanting" in her head "crack the egg, shell in the box, egg in the bowl."  Two eggs down, one to go......crack the egg, egg in the box, shell in the....wait, no....she looks in the box and yup, she had put the egg in the box and still had the shell in her hand.  Thankfully she caught herself before the shell actually went in the bowl!

jpcher

« Reply #873 on: September 14, 2013, 06:08:51 PM »
^ LOL! I do that sort of thing all the time. Especially at work when I'm learning a new program . . . like yesterday. I had the chant going through my mind. "Do this. Do that." Everything ran smoothly until I did the "That" before doing the "This."

It took me a while to figure out what I did wrong! Fortunately, like your mother, I figured it out before any damage was done (yeah, egg shells in the cake batter would have been a bad thing.) ;D

Welcome to the board, Aunt4God!

Aunt4God

« Reply #874 on: September 17, 2013, 11:16:46 AM »
^ LOL! I do that sort of thing all the time. Especially at work when I'm learning a new program . . . like yesterday. I had the chant going through my mind. "Do this. Do that." Everything ran smoothly until I did the "That" before doing the "This."

It took me a while to figure out what I did wrong! Fortunately, like your mother, I figured it out before any damage was done (yeah, egg shells in the cake batter would have been a bad thing.) ;D

Welcome to the board, Aunt4God!

Thanks!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #875 on: October 06, 2013, 08:43:05 AM »
I have a friend who was planning to paint her bedroom.  Her husband was at work, and she figured she would at least get a good start on it.  She was getting everything ready, and then suddenly decided she should read the side of the paint can to see if there was anything special she needed to do first.

So she picked up the can and started to read the sides.  Except, she had already opened the can, and had tilted it to read it.  Paint started pouring out of the can onto the carpeting.  Oh, no!  She tried to scoop up the paint and throw it back into the can, but it was apparent very quickly that that wasn't going to work.

In frustration, she started pulling her hair.  With her wet paint-covered hands.

Her husband came home to a sobbing wife who had the oddest spiked hair in a light grayish green, and a bedroom that was a mess.  They had to get new carpeting.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:47:18 AM by pierrotlunaire0 »
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #876 on: October 06, 2013, 01:21:29 PM »
The Keurig is a wonderful invention, and they thought ahead.  There is a reservoir beneath the (removable) grate where you put your coffee mug.  Seems they knew that stupid people like me would occasionally forget to put a mug underneath to catch the coffee (or tea, if that is your preference), and without a hollow place to catch the coffee, there would be a horrendous mess.

I've forgotten three times.  :-[  Though I did realize it in time to whip my mug underneath, so that no more than half of it was wasted.  My brother tells me now, "Don't forget your mug~  If you forget again, I will laugh without shame at your expense."  Thanks, bro.  I know where you sleep.  >:D

mandycorn

« Reply #877 on: October 09, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
Our Keurig at work actually has a sensor that will prevent it from brewing if it doesn't sense something in the mug area. Don't ask me how many times I've thought it was broken because it wouldn't make coffee (because it knew I'd forgotten my mug)!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #878 on: October 15, 2013, 12:45:16 AM »
Don't sign up for quilt classes at 1am, or you will likely not notice that the date for which you have signed up and PAID ended a bit over an hour ago.   

The shop owner is a really nice lady, though, and the class will be repeated in November, so I expect that I can switch it to that date.  I hope... :-\
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #879 on: October 15, 2013, 01:35:05 AM »
Do not drink orange Gatorade shortly after brushing your teeth. YECH!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jpcher

« Reply #880 on: January 05, 2014, 02:17:38 PM »
I'm doing a few loads of laundry today, my last day of a 2 week vacation. It's Sunday.

I put my first load into the drier, started my second load in the washer, then cleaned the lint tray and pushed the start button on the drier.

Nothing. No click. No hum. No sound at all. Absolutely nothing.

I pushed the button several more times, pressing harder each time (because you know if you really punch the button the machine will miraculously start, right?) I fiddled with the dials thinking maybe it would start on a different setting. Nope. No go. I checked the plug, yup plugged in. I checked the fuse (silly because the washer, which is on the same circuit, was working just fine.)

Pushed the start button again. Nope. Still not working.

I had a brilliant thought -- maybe the exhaust is blocked (even though I cleaned that out a couple of months ago) so I pulled the machine away from the wall, disconnected the exhaust and there was no blockage.

Pushed the start button again, this time holding it down (maybe I didn't push it hard/long enough?) Sigh.

Then I thought Oh. We had quite a bit of snow. Maybe the outside vent is covered in snow. So I bundled myself up, armed with a shovel, braved the blizzard and saw that the vent was clear, only by a couple of inches. I shoveled a bunch of the snow away.

I went back inside, thawed out for a bit, thinking to myself "Today is Sunday. I do not want to pay for an emergency repair call but after 2 weeks vacation I really can't call in tomorrow! Plus the weather is going to be worse tomorrow. Will I be able to get someone out tomorrow?" ARGH! What to do?

I went back downstairs. Stared at that stupid start button just willing it to work.

Gentle press of the button this time (sometimes things miraculously work with kindness, doncha know) . . . Nope. Still not starting.

I resigned myself to hang drying everything and worry about repair tomorrow (after all, tomorrow is another day) so I gathered all my hangers went to open the drier door and saw . . .

. . . the drier door wasn't closed all the way.

I closed the door, pressed the start button and miracle of miracles the machine started just like it's supposed to.

Sigh. Yeah, I feel stupid. :-[ ::) ;D

Vall

« Reply #881 on: January 06, 2014, 03:02:08 AM »
Since I got a good chuckle about the dryer story (thanks, jpcher!), I'll have to tell a story on myself.

I am a very cautious driver.  About a month ago, we had a snow storm where we got about 6" of snow.  I had to commute to work almost 40 miles right at the worst of the storm in the evening.  There were cars and trucks in ditches everywhere.  I saw lots of ambulances, fire trucks, tow trucks and police cars.  I was nervous but I took things slow the whole trip.

I finally made it to the parking lot (on time too!) and decided to park under a light for safety.  I pulled in then started to brake.  My car wasn't stopping.  NO!  I then did what you aren't supposed to do in the snow--I stomped the brake pedal to the floor.  But the car had a mind of its own and slammed into the light pole hard.  It was then that I looked down and thought, "Hmmm.  The brake pedal is the one on the left".  Long sigh.

The light pole had a safety yellow concrete base.  It broke my bumper and scraped yellow all the way up including on the hood of my car.  It is not attractive on my dark green paint.  But I think that my pride was hurt the most.  I've been driving for almost 30 years and I really should know the difference between the accelerator and the brake pedals.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #882 on: January 06, 2014, 06:22:42 AM »
Something I've done more than once, and I just did it again; I had to go fiddle a couple of plugs in the wall socket, switching out one for another, and I forgot that I was wearing a headset.  I walked out of them and left a few strands of hair behind.  Maybe it's time for that cup of coffee...

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #883 on: January 06, 2014, 06:38:04 AM »
Don't feel bad, Vall!

When I was still on my provisional licence, I was getting more confident with driving but still not all the way there. I was MUCH more comfortable driving alone. Well, the Good Ethnic Boy and I visited my parents, and I wound up driving with him in the passenger seat and my mother in the back. I was backing out of a parking spot at the speed I was comfortable with... which was not as fast as they were comfortable with. I'd made sure there wasn't anyone coming, it was a quiet street, etc., but they both started fussing at me about how I was taking too long and I'd be in the way if another car came along.

I intended to put my foot on the brake and announce that if they weren't happy with my driving one of them could take over. What I actually did was stamp on the accelerator.

Good Ethnic Boy: "Holy [bleep]! What are you doing, hon?!"
Mel the Redcap: "Getting rattled! Thank you!"

They shut up. >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #884 on: January 06, 2014, 08:37:31 AM »
The other issue with winter driving is footwear.  I always drove in shoes and switched to boots because my boots were so big, I could get my foot on the brake and the accelerator at the same time.  Throw in the clutch, too, and there just wasn't room.  I've finally found a pair of boots with a low enough profile that I can drive in them.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario