Author Topic: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.  (Read 172189 times)

CrochetFanatic

Re: Don't eat the meatballs! AKA: Stupid stuff you've done.
« Reply #885 on: October 06, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »
The Keurig is a wonderful invention, and they thought ahead.  There is a reservoir beneath the (removable) grate where you put your coffee mug.  Seems they knew that stupid people like me would occasionally forget to put a mug underneath to catch the coffee (or tea, if that is your preference), and without a hollow place to catch the coffee, there would be a horrendous mess.

I've forgotten three times.  :-[  Though I did realize it in time to whip my mug underneath, so that no more than half of it was wasted.  My brother tells me now, "Don't forget your mug~  If you forget again, I will laugh without shame at your expense."  Thanks, bro.  I know where you sleep.  >:D

mandycorn

« Reply #886 on: October 09, 2013, 04:14:41 PM »
Our Keurig at work actually has a sensor that will prevent it from brewing if it doesn't sense something in the mug area. Don't ask me how many times I've thought it was broken because it wouldn't make coffee (because it knew I'd forgotten my mug)!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #887 on: October 15, 2013, 01:45:16 AM »
Don't sign up for quilt classes at 1am, or you will likely not notice that the date for which you have signed up and PAID ended a bit over an hour ago.   

The shop owner is a really nice lady, though, and the class will be repeated in November, so I expect that I can switch it to that date.  I hope... :-\
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #888 on: October 15, 2013, 02:35:05 AM »
Do not drink orange Gatorade shortly after brushing your teeth. YECH!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #889 on: January 05, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »
I'm doing a few loads of laundry today, my last day of a 2 week vacation. It's Sunday.

I put my first load into the drier, started my second load in the washer, then cleaned the lint tray and pushed the start button on the drier.

Nothing. No click. No hum. No sound at all. Absolutely nothing.

I pushed the button several more times, pressing harder each time (because you know if you really punch the button the machine will miraculously start, right?) I fiddled with the dials thinking maybe it would start on a different setting. Nope. No go. I checked the plug, yup plugged in. I checked the fuse (silly because the washer, which is on the same circuit, was working just fine.)

Pushed the start button again. Nope. Still not working.

I had a brilliant thought -- maybe the exhaust is blocked (even though I cleaned that out a couple of months ago) so I pulled the machine away from the wall, disconnected the exhaust and there was no blockage.

Pushed the start button again, this time holding it down (maybe I didn't push it hard/long enough?) Sigh.

Then I thought Oh. We had quite a bit of snow. Maybe the outside vent is covered in snow. So I bundled myself up, armed with a shovel, braved the blizzard and saw that the vent was clear, only by a couple of inches. I shoveled a bunch of the snow away.

I went back inside, thawed out for a bit, thinking to myself "Today is Sunday. I do not want to pay for an emergency repair call but after 2 weeks vacation I really can't call in tomorrow! Plus the weather is going to be worse tomorrow. Will I be able to get someone out tomorrow?" ARGH! What to do?

I went back downstairs. Stared at that stupid start button just willing it to work.

Gentle press of the button this time (sometimes things miraculously work with kindness, doncha know) . . . Nope. Still not starting.

I resigned myself to hang drying everything and worry about repair tomorrow (after all, tomorrow is another day) so I gathered all my hangers went to open the drier door and saw . . .

. . . the drier door wasn't closed all the way.

I closed the door, pressed the start button and miracle of miracles the machine started just like it's supposed to.

Sigh. Yeah, I feel stupid. :-[ ::) ;D

Vall

« Reply #890 on: January 06, 2014, 04:02:08 AM »
Since I got a good chuckle about the dryer story (thanks, jpcher!), I'll have to tell a story on myself.

I am a very cautious driver.  About a month ago, we had a snow storm where we got about 6" of snow.  I had to commute to work almost 40 miles right at the worst of the storm in the evening.  There were cars and trucks in ditches everywhere.  I saw lots of ambulances, fire trucks, tow trucks and police cars.  I was nervous but I took things slow the whole trip.

I finally made it to the parking lot (on time too!) and decided to park under a light for safety.  I pulled in then started to brake.  My car wasn't stopping.  NO!  I then did what you aren't supposed to do in the snow--I stomped the brake pedal to the floor.  But the car had a mind of its own and slammed into the light pole hard.  It was then that I looked down and thought, "Hmmm.  The brake pedal is the one on the left".  Long sigh.

The light pole had a safety yellow concrete base.  It broke my bumper and scraped yellow all the way up including on the hood of my car.  It is not attractive on my dark green paint.  But I think that my pride was hurt the most.  I've been driving for almost 30 years and I really should know the difference between the accelerator and the brake pedals.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #891 on: January 06, 2014, 07:22:42 AM »
Something I've done more than once, and I just did it again; I had to go fiddle a couple of plugs in the wall socket, switching out one for another, and I forgot that I was wearing a headset.  I walked out of them and left a few strands of hair behind.  Maybe it's time for that cup of coffee...

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #892 on: January 06, 2014, 07:38:04 AM »
Don't feel bad, Vall!

When I was still on my provisional licence, I was getting more confident with driving but still not all the way there. I was MUCH more comfortable driving alone. Well, the Good Ethnic Boy and I visited my parents, and I wound up driving with him in the passenger seat and my mother in the back. I was backing out of a parking spot at the speed I was comfortable with... which was not as fast as they were comfortable with. I'd made sure there wasn't anyone coming, it was a quiet street, etc., but they both started fussing at me about how I was taking too long and I'd be in the way if another car came along.

I intended to put my foot on the brake and announce that if they weren't happy with my driving one of them could take over. What I actually did was stamp on the accelerator.

Good Ethnic Boy: "Holy [bleep]! What are you doing, hon?!"
Mel the Redcap: "Getting rattled! Thank you!"

They shut up. >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #893 on: January 06, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
The other issue with winter driving is footwear.  I always drove in shoes and switched to boots because my boots were so big, I could get my foot on the brake and the accelerator at the same time.  Throw in the clutch, too, and there just wasn't room.  I've finally found a pair of boots with a low enough profile that I can drive in them.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #894 on: January 06, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »
I intended to put my foot on the brake and announce that if they weren't happy with my driving one of them could take over. What I actually did was stamp on the accelerator.

Good Ethnic Boy: "Holy [bleep]! What are you doing, hon?!"
Mel the Redcap: "Getting rattled! Thank you! Is this fast enough for ya?"
Although your response got the desired reaction, here's an alternate one for next time.  >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #895 on: January 11, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »
Deciding to have a quick wash is fine. Deciding to turn on the hot tap and wait for it to get warm before turning on the cold is fine. But if you do this, don't for goodness sake get impatient and decide to soap up before you turn on the cold tap. Your hands will be far too slippery to operate the taps, the water will end up roughly the same temperature as lava, and you will have to decide whether to keep struggling with the taps and burning yourself or go wash your hands elsewhere and try again.

If you do wash your hands for another try, remember to also wash the soap-covered taps. Otherwise it will not go much better than before. ::) :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #896 on: January 22, 2014, 11:40:46 PM »
When attempting to hurriedly clean before company arrives, don't stick a frying pan and plastic handled spatula in the oven to hide them.

When preparing food for company, don't change the menu mid-prepping and decide to add that roasted nut dish.

When preheating the oven for a roasted nut dish, check the oven before turning it on or when you notice that strange smell.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #897 on: January 23, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »
When attempting to hurriedly clean before company arrives, don't stick a frying pan and plastic handled spatula in the oven to hide them.

When preparing food for company, don't change the menu mid-prepping and decide to add that roasted nut dish.

When preheating the oven for a roasted nut dish, check the oven before turning it on or when you notice that strange smell.

My mother used to do something like this!  She'd put the frozen hamburger in a Tupperware bowl to thaw, but then she'd put it into the oven to keep the cat out of the meat.   
Then later on, she'd turn on the oven to preheat it, ruining both the meat AND the Tupperware bowl.  And we'd all laugh a lot. 

magicdomino

« Reply #898 on: January 23, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »
One of my favorite spatulas is missing its wooden handle. Many many moons ago, my mother stored the cast iron skillet in the oven.  Just like PPs, one day she turned on the oven to preheat, not realizing that there was a spatula in the skillet.  As much as I like the thing because its short handle is easy to manuver, and still keep the cast iron skillet in the oven, I make sure it is in there by itself.

turtleIScream

« Reply #899 on: January 25, 2014, 08:40:22 AM »
Yesterday, I got up, made a healthful breakfast, prepared a menu for next week, put together the shopping list, and cleared the fridge of old food to make way for new groceries. All before 9:00! I was feeling pretty good about myself, and how "together" i was. But, as I was going through the meat drawer, I noticed we were out of sausage. Which was strange because I knew I saw it in there the night before, and we had about 1/3 lb. left. I looked in other places in the fridge, checked the countertops, looked in the sink. Nothing. I figured I must have thrown it out, so wrote sausage on the list, and headed to the store (where sausage was on sale, so yay!). I got home, and started putting groceries away. I opened the spice cupboard, and sitting there is my roll of sausage. Right between the seasoned salt and garlic.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh