Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

"Snack" for 40 for a weekend?

(1/3) > >>

Slartibartfast:
DH and I have been invited to a weekend-long get-together with some new friends of ours.  We will know a few people at this gathering, but not most of them.  The hostess lives about 30 minutes away from us, on the other side of town, but I know she has 12 (!) people staying in her (small) house for the duration of the weekend, and she plans to cook for all 40 people for three days, so her kitchen will be swamped.

I volunteered to help with some "snack" type foods, and she was really grateful to have someone else also bringing edibles.  Her only recommendation was "think: locusts."  (This will be mostly a group of people playing board games and watching stupid movies all weekend, so I assume snack foods should fit that atmosphere - but 40 people snacking all weekend is a lot of food.)

I NEED SUGGESTIONS!  I'm happy to cook things ahead of time, but I need something that

a)  Won't just be store-bought - I want to make a good impression that I can prepare food :-)

b)  Can be made in bulk

c)  Can be made, driven half an hour, and won't need to use her kitchen for touch-ups.  So I'm guessing nothing that needs to be served hot.

d)  Won't leave a sticky mess all over the hostess's house when people are eating it sitting on the floor, in the living room, while playing board games, etc.

I'm kind of leaning toward getting some of those big pretzel sticks and dipping them in chocolate, but I would be very excited to try out anything y'all eHellions can recommend!

Gigi:
Brownies: make them in foil cupcake holders or in mini-muffin tins so they don't even need to be cut up.
Spiced or glazed nuts: There are lots of recipies on line for various sweet or savory varieties.
Popcorn Balls
Puppy Chow
Cookies
Banana, pumpkin, date-nut, cranberry-walnut breads (all can be sliced and plattered at home)
Mini muffins
Chex mix
Gorp
Cheese straws
Scones
Devilled egglets (cut the eggs in quarters instead of halves) Arrange the whites in a pan like a covered cake pan or tupperware container, prepare the yolk filling and put in a seperate bowl.  Get a pastry bag and a star tip (check the supermarket aisle near the cake mix, a cake decorator supply, restaurant supply, craft store like Michael's or a party supply store for the bag and tip) when you arrive you'll only need a small amount of space and time to place the yolk mixture in the bag and squirt it into the egg white shells. You can transport the ingredients in a cooler.

Suze:

--- Quote from: Gigi on December 31, 2006, 02:09:55 AM ---Devilled egglets (cut the eggs in quarters instead of halves) Arrange the whites in a pan like a covered cake pan or tupperware container, prepare the yolk filling and put in a seperate bowl.  Get a pastry bag and a star tip (check the supermarket aisle near the cake mix, a cake decorator supply, restaurant supply, craft store like Michael's or a party supply store for the bag and tip) when you arrive you'll only need a small amount of space and time to place the yolk mixture in the bag and squirt it into the egg white shells. You can transport the ingredients in a cooler.

--- End quote ---

I get the really little eggs when I do a party platter -- they are one bites that way.

and when I fill them I just use a plastic freezer bag and cut a little bit (tiny little bit)of one corner off and use it like a pastry bag. (I usually put one bag inside of another, Just in case of "blowout")  Be sure to use the HEAVY FREEZER BAG not the thin, thin, regular one.

Best thing --YOU DON'T HAVE TO WASH IT -- you can just toss the bag when you are done filling.   Put the fillling in the bag at home (smoosh it down into one corner)   gather the bag and Twist tie it shut to keep it there, (so it looks like a pastry bag)  When you get to the party snip the corner and go to town. 

can you tell I've done this more than once?

Venus193:
These are a little labor-intensive but they alway impress:

Stuffed Vine Leaves (this makes 40-50, so you might have to make 2 batches)

1 cup Short-grain white rice
1 can artichoke hearts (chopped)
4 scallions (chopped)
2 tbsp oregano (or equivalent fresh)
2 tbsp parsley (or equivalent fresh)
freshly ground 5-pepper blend
olive oil
grape leaves
clove garlic

Rub mixing bowl with garlic clove, then add dry ingredients.  Add just enough olive oil to hold mixture together.  Separate leaves, remove stems carefully, and stuff by laying leaf flat on table, point at top.  Place approximately 1.5 tsp of filling at stem, fold over sides, and roll toward the point.  Do not pack too tightly, as the rice needs room to expand.  Place close together (but not too tightly) in flat-bottomed frying pan.  Add two cups cold water, cover with dinner plate, and cook over low flame for 20-25 minutes.

Drain excess water, remove carefully with tongs, and refrigerate for three hours.  After this add the following and toss gently:

sliced cucumbers
chopped olives
chopped scallion or bermuda onion
fresh dill weed
fresh parsley
olive oil
white wine vinegar
lemon adobo
freshly ground black pepper

Refrigerate overnight and serve cold.

dawbs:
mini cheesecakes
(I am only ever helpful w/ desserts...)

Place a vanilla wafer in the bottom of 18 muffin cups in a muffin tin. Using the following mixture, fill each muffin cup approximately 2/3 full.

2 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Top with cherry or blueberry pie filling after they have cooled.

For an interesting variation, add 1/2 cup Nestle's mini-morsels chocolate chips to the cheesecake mixture. They may have to bake 2 to 3 minutes longer.
Or press mini candy bars into the top after they've baked.
18 servings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version