A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Shopping

(1/11) > >>

DuBois:

What distinguishes the US from the UK in terms of shopping? And not just the US and UK, what about Australia, and all the European countries? Each country, nay, each city, has its own shopping culture.  But things are becoming so homogenized it is unreal. There are the same shops in every city in every country, it would seem. Is the shopping world just one big Westfield Mall now, or are cities holding on to their own character?

Larrabee:
The biggest difference between the UK and the US is the customer service culture.  In the US staff are much more attentive and deferential than in the UK.  My US friends were pretty horrified by the 'surly, uninterested' staff they met in shops over here while I was completely overwhelmed and freaked out by the 'intrusiveness' of US staff.  (Those are perceptions and deliberately hyperbolic, not insults by the way!)

DuBois:

--- Quote from: Larrabee on October 08, 2011, 04:25:19 PM ---The biggest difference between the UK and the US is the customer service culture.  In the US staff are much more attentive and deferential than in the UK.  My US friends were pretty horrified by the 'surly, uninterested' staff they met in shops over here while I was completely overwhelmed and freaked out by the 'intrusiveness' of US staff.  (Those are perceptions and deliberately hyperbolic, not insults by the way!)

--- End quote ---

I am British, and find our staff unspeakably rude most of the time.  I think out customer service is the worst I have seen.

Larrabee:

--- Quote from: Gahr on October 08, 2011, 04:33:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: Larrabee on October 08, 2011, 04:25:19 PM ---The biggest difference between the UK and the US is the customer service culture.  In the US staff are much more attentive and deferential than in the UK.  My US friends were pretty horrified by the 'surly, uninterested' staff they met in shops over here while I was completely overwhelmed and freaked out by the 'intrusiveness' of US staff.  (Those are perceptions and deliberately hyperbolic, not insults by the way!)

--- End quote ---

I am British, and find our staff unspeakably rude most of the time.  I think out customer service is the worst I have seen.

--- End quote ---

Never been to France?  ;)

DuBois:

--- Quote from: Larrabee on October 08, 2011, 04:40:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: Gahr on October 08, 2011, 04:33:57 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Never been to France?  ;)

--- End quote ---

I have, and oddly, I found the customer service fine! I love the Galleries Lafayette, it is the most beautiful shop I have seen. And the staff were pretty patient with my stumbling French. I remember one summer, when I was around fifteen, and in my 'chubby' phase, I underestimated my dress size, forgetting that European sizes tend to run small. I had the humiliating experience of being stuck in a dress :-[ The lady in the shop just couldn't have been nicer about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version