Author Topic: Shopping  (Read 4766 times)

Larrabee

Re: Shopping
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 01:37:53 PM »

As for the original question, I always got the impression that US shops are open much later than in the UK?  Over here, most shops (with the exception of supermarkets, off-licences, etc.) are generally open from 9:00-5:30 on weekdays, a few open a little longer on Saturdays (but not much), and 10:30-4:30 on Sundays.

I think this can depend on location.  I'm in a city centre and the high street shops here are generally open till 8pm on weekdays.  The big out of town shopping centre a few miles away is open until 10pm.

Sunday hours really annoy me though, pretty much everything except off licences closes at 4pm.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »
As for the original question, I always got the impression that US shops are open much later than in the UK?  Over here, most shops (with the exception of supermarkets, off-licences, etc.) are generally open from 9:00-5:30 on weekdays, a few open a little longer on Saturdays (but not much), and 10:30-4:30 on Sundays.

Wow! Most shops here are open until at least 8, usually 9 or 10 on weekdays and 10 to 11 on Saturdays. Some do close earlier, but they are the minority. Sundays, most places close early.

The annoying thing is that banks and post offices close around 5 on weekdays, noon or 1 on Saturdays, and are closed all day on Sundays. It's hard for people who work "regular" hours.
The status is not quo!

DuBois

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 01:42:14 PM »

I think this can depend on location.  I'm in a city centre and the high street shops here are generally open till 8pm on weekdays.   The big out of town shopping centre a few miles away is open until 10pm.

Sunday hours really annoy me though, pretty much everything except off licences closes at 4pm.

Wow, I wish I lived somewhere like that! Where I am, shops only open until late one day a week, on late opening (generally a Thursday.) Marks and Spencer is open until 7.00 every day, but other places mostly close at 6.00, though I think that some close at 6.30. I love shopping at night, I would love to live somewhere which had late opening every day!

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 01:48:12 PM »
I'm in Chicago, which may differ from small town America.  I've been very spoiled by our shopping hours :)  My old bank was open til 8pm every day, but that was the only thing I liked about them, so I switched.  Now, I can deposit a check through the ATM and it shows up immediately, so I don't really need the bank to be open. 

Big chain stores are usually open til 9 or 10, maybe 7 or 8 on Sundays.  Small businesses vary by neighborhood, and close anywhere between 6 and 9.  Supermarkets are usually open til midnight or 2am, or for some chains, 24 hours.  I have no idea how we'd survive, with our schedules, if we couldn't do our shopping at weird hours.  We were inconvenienced a few years ago when our usual supermarket changed from 24 hours to closing at 2am :P

Larrabee

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
Its becoming more and more common over here for supermarkets to be 24 hour now.  They also sell a much wider range of stuff than they used to, clothes, books, electricals etc. 

I remember going on holiday to Florida nearly 20 years ago and we were all amazed that we could go to the giant Walmart late at night and buy nearly anything we wanted, now we can do that here.

P-p-p-penguin

• Crazy... but that's how it goes
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »
Up until 2 weeks ago I also lived in a city centre and the only shopping area to stay open later than 5:30/6ish is an outlet centre which is open until 7.

The Legend of Daisy

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »
We were just in Canada and my British boyfriend is convinced all the shop staff are on commission because they're all so aggressively helpful. I told him, they're not, they really do just want to help!
While the shopping malls (US) and high streets (UK) are becoming rather homogenous, each country has a subset of shops that do not cross over. But Gap seems to be everywhere.

Larrabee

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 03:42:27 PM »
Up until 2 weeks ago I also lived in a city centre and the only shopping area to stay open later than 5:30/6ish is an outlet centre which is open until 7.

I'm in Manchester, I suppose its one of the 'main' cities.  The shops in the outlying towns generally shut at 5.30/6 still.  It was the same when I lived in London, Oxford Street and so on would be open till 8ish but the outer shopping areas were earlier.

DuBois

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »

I'm in Manchester, I suppose its one of the 'main' cities.  The shops in the outlying towns generally shut at 5.30/6 still.  It was the same when I lived in London, Oxford Street and so on would be open till 8ish but the outer shopping areas were earlier.

I miss London! People grumble about it all the time, but I think it is a great place. Where else in the UK is there such diversity? Shopping was amazing there. I have never been to Westfield, because it opened after I left. It looks a bit generic. But I miss Carnaby Street a lot.

Larrabee

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 03:50:15 PM »

I miss London! People grumble about it all the time, but I think it is a great place. Where else in the UK is there such diversity? Shopping was amazing there. I have never been to Westfield, because it opened after I left. It looks a bit generic. But I miss Carnaby Street a lot.

Manchester  ;)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 03:51:03 PM »

I think that's about what I remember from being on the outskirts of London, too.  It was a real change going from Chicago shopping to Barnet shopping!

Larrabee

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 03:56:21 PM »

I think that's about what I remember from being on the outskirts of London, too.  It was a real change going from Chicago shopping to Barnet shopping!

I was in Enfield for a while, we were almost neighbours! 

DuBois

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 03:58:31 PM »

Manchester  ;)

I've never been to Manchester! I have heard great things about it, though, from everyone who has visited.  I love Edinburgh, it is beautiful but it can get a bit claustrophobic.

The Legend of Daisy

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 04:49:24 PM »

Manchester  ;)
Manchester is great. It's a big city, but quite compact at the same time. I moved here in 2002 and the city centre has changed unbelievably in that time period. When I first moved here I was repeatedly told the the IRS bomb was the best thing to ever happen to the city centre. Now there's a comment on what it must have looked like before.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »

Years ago, when visiting the UK, I made a terrible gaffe at a green grocer.  Here, shoppers are expected to select their own produce and bring it to the check-out.  There and then, it was a very different thing.  The shopper was expected to engage a white-coated shop assistant who would select the fruit and vegetables.  Not knowing this rule, I was thought to be unspeakably rude.

Could I ask how long ago this was or would that be like asking a lady her age?  ;) 

I've seen this on older TV shows and in books but I don't actually know how long ago it stopped being the norm.

No problem at all. 

I'm 64 and this happened back in the early 1980s.  We were in our 30s and making holiday on a self-catering narrow boat.  It was necessary for us to make most of our own meals.  We enjoyed getting the fresh produce and meat from local merchants. You could also buy pastries and home-made bread from people who had canal-side stands.

I remember that one night we were moored near a lake with beautiful rhodedendrons in full bloom.

We ate broiled lamb chops, asparagus and new potatoes that I picked up in the village?  I also found a little cake and a basket of fresh strawberries.  Mr. Thipu picked up a bottle of wine. 

We put our folding table out on the side of the lake and ate like royalty.

Every time I read about Harry Potter seeing his Patronus appearing on the other side of the lake this scene is what I see.