Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Soup - I need some!

(1/5) > >>

Rach:
My mum is driving me crazy!

She makes a fantastic vegetable soup. The problem is, its made so tasty by the ham joint she cooks in the soup. And I'm vegetarian.

Does any one have any tasty (I love strong flavours) vegetarian soup ideas? I can smell her soup through the whole house  :'(

Rach x

PS. She is looking for a recipe for chocolate torte if anyone is feeling very generous..

Venus193:
I make minestrone, but perhaps you can use a little "liquid smoke" instead of the bacon:

2 large cans crushed tomatoes
6 cloves garlic, chopped
medium to large onion, chopped
1/2 cup each, chopped:
  broccoli
  cauliflower
  green beans
  celery
  carrot
1 cup cooked (or canned) red kidney beans (rinse first)
6 strips bacon, browned and crumbled
2 tbsp oregano
2 tbsp basil (or equivalent fresh)
1 cup cooked small pasta (optional)

Combine all vegetable ingredients and bacon, add water if necessary (half a cup at a time), heat to boiling, lower flame,  and cook 10-15 minutes.  Serve immediately or add pasta and cook an additional minute.

Rach:
Ooh thank you for that  :)

I don't know what is meant by liquid smoke, but I do have vege bacon or smoked cheese (I find applewood smoked has a nice smokey almost meatlike flavour) I could grate on top..

Mmm have all ingredients for this one and its raining and windy here, perfect soup weather.

Suze:
liquid  smoke is something you use when you want the flavor of smoked meat but do not have a smoker.

It is sold in a bottle (kinda like vanilla) Where in the store I am not sure.

Suze

Venus193:
Liquid smoke is a marinade-type item popular with barbecue fans to add a smoke flavor when needed.

I've never heard of vegetarian bacon, but since there are veggie burgers and suasages, why not?  I suspect it would work.  Let me know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version