Author Topic: Soup - I need some!  (Read 2792 times)

Rach

Soup - I need some!
« on: December 31, 2006, 07:02:31 AM »
My mum is driving me crazy!

She makes a fantastic vegetable soup. The problem is, its made so tasty by the ham joint she cooks in the soup. And I'm vegetarian.

Does any one have any tasty (I love strong flavours) vegetarian soup ideas? I can smell her soup through the whole house  :'(

Rach x

PS. She is looking for a recipe for chocolate torte if anyone is feeling very generous..

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Soup - I need some!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 10:08:28 AM »
I make minestrone, but perhaps you can use a little "liquid smoke" instead of the bacon:

2 large cans crushed tomatoes
6 cloves garlic, chopped
medium to large onion, chopped
1/2 cup each, chopped:
  broccoli
  cauliflower
  green beans
  celery
  carrot
1 cup cooked (or canned) red kidney beans (rinse first)
6 strips bacon, browned and crumbled
2 tbsp oregano
2 tbsp basil (or equivalent fresh)
1 cup cooked small pasta (optional)

Combine all vegetable ingredients and bacon, add water if necessary (half a cup at a time), heat to boiling, lower flame,  and cook 10-15 minutes.  Serve immediately or add pasta and cook an additional minute.

Rach

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 10:32:18 AM »
Ooh thank you for that  :)

I don't know what is meant by liquid smoke, but I do have vege bacon or smoked cheese (I find applewood smoked has a nice smokey almost meatlike flavour) I could grate on top..

Mmm have all ingredients for this one and its raining and windy here, perfect soup weather.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 10:44:58 AM »
liquid  smoke is something you use when you want the flavor of smoked meat but do not have a smoker.

It is sold in a bottle (kinda like vanilla) Where in the store I am not sure.

Suze
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 10:45:44 AM »
Liquid smoke is a marinade-type item popular with barbecue fans to add a smoke flavor when needed.

I've never heard of vegetarian bacon, but since there are veggie burgers and suasages, why not?  I suspect it would work.  Let me know.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 12:10:23 PM »
I think there is a ham-flavored vegetarian bouillon that you can use to make the broth tasty without involving any meat :) 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 01:32:27 PM »
Goya makes a pork or ham-flavored bouillon, but I don't know whether it is "artificially" flavored or not.

kkl123

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 04:36:03 PM »

Try any smoked cheese in place of the ham in the soup... add it at the last minute.  (Parmesan rinds are classic in minestrone, for instance.) 

I utterly detest liquid smoke but I've found a substitute I'm really happy with -- it's smoked Spanish paprika, where the peppers are smoked over oakwood fires for several days (weeks?).  It's not particularly easy to find -- The Spanish Table in Seattle and Berkeley stocks the El Rey brand that's my favorite, and it comes hot, bittersweet or sweet.  This is not the nearly tasteless paprika folks dust on deviled eggs... the hot especially has a nice bite to it, and lots of layers of flavor.  That said, I tend to
use a mixture of all three to get the bite and smokiness to the level I want for a particular dish.  The Spanish name for "smoked paprika" is "Pimenton de la Vera".  I first "met" it in a Hungarian restaurant in Canada-- my husband and I spent a whole meal trying to figure out how the lovely smokiness had gotten into the chicken paprikas -- we'd pretty much decided on smoked mushrooms when the chef/owner told us about Pimenton de la Vera.  (And by the way, mushroom paprikas is killer when made with pimenton.)

Penzeys' Spices has recently started carrying a smoked paprika that's pretty good, although it's closest to El Rey's sweet/dulce. 

Anyhow, I've been putting a little into just about any dish that I would have put ham or bacon into.

And speaking of soup and Hungarians, have you considered goulash with more mushrooms and no meat?  Or Molly Katzenbach's dill and paprika mushroom soup?
http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/tech/recipes/soup/mushroom-soup2/Chap1.html

kkl123

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 05:55:33 PM »
Not a classic torte... this is Ye Olde Family Brownie recipe, about 70 years old, that I use as a substitute for a chocolate torte, to raves.  Just leave out the nuts and bake in an 8" round pan.

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine
2 1/2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate (2.5 oz)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup chopped nuts (I prefer English walnuts; my aunt prefers black walnuts)

Melt chocolate and butter or margarine together.  Beat eggs till foamy;
add sugar, then melted chocolate mixture to eggs while continuing to beat.
Stir in rest of ingredients.  Bake at 325 degrees F in an 8" greased, floured
pan for approximately 30 min.  Recipe can be doubled for a 13x9" pan.
This is a fairly fudgey, intense brownie -- the recipe is about 60 years
old, and still a favorite.

Rach

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 01:23:42 PM »
Thank you so much for the replies  ;D I realise I could search for recipes but its so nice to get recommended ones.

So far I've made the minestrone, using smoked cheese and just adding veg bullion to the recipe. Its fantastic, thank you Venus. I was tempted to post a pic but thought that would be a little lame.

Since I'm passing on the pudding recipe, I don't know the result yet, but 70 years...surely must be excellent .

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 08:14:48 PM »
I'm glad it turned out well.  I personally don't use grated cheese, but enjoy!

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 10:45:42 PM »
My favorite soup.....don't omit the cayenne, use enough to give it a slight bite.

ULTIMATE CREAM OF TOMATO SOUP
Cook’s Illustrated/America’s Test Kitchen
SERVES 8
4 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes packed in juice, drained, 3 cups juice reserved (Muir Glen)
3 T dark brown sugar
8 T unsalted butter (one stick)
8 large shallots, minced (about cup)
2 T tomato paste
Pinch ground allspice
4 T all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock (or canned low-sodium)
2 cup heavy cream
4 T. brandy or dry sherry
Salt and cayenne pepper

1.   Adjust oven rack to upper middle position and heat oven to 450.  Line rimmed baking sheet with foil.  With fingers, open whole tomatoes over strainer set in bow and push out seeds, allowing juices to fall through strainer into a bowl.  Spread seeded tomatoes in a single layer on foil.  Sprinkle evenly w/ brown sugar.  Bake until all liquid has evaporated and tomatoes begin to color , about 3 0 minutes.  Let tomatoes cool slightly, then peel them off foil.  Transfer to small bowl and set aside.

2.   Heat butter over medium heat until foaming.  Add shallots, tomato paste, and allspice.  Reduce to low, cover and sook, stirring occasionally until softened, 7 – 10 mins.  Add flour and cook, stirring constantly to combine; Gradually add chicken stock, whisking to combine stir in reserved tomato juice and roasted tomatoes.  Cover, increase heat to medium and bring to boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally to blend flavors, about 10 mins.

3.   (Note:  I use an immersion blender here, instead! )Pour mixture through strainer and into medium blow; rinse saucepan.  Transfer tomatoes and solids in strainer to blender.  Add 1 cup strained liquid and puree until smooth.  Place pureed mixture and remaining strained liquid in saucepan.  Add cream and warm over low heat until hot, about 3 minutes.  Off heat, stir in brandy and season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper.  Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to two days.  Warm over low heat until hot; do not boil.

Rach

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 07:19:13 AM »
The trouble is, I bet this would be like my mums and lose its fabness without the homemade chicken stock.

I do like the idea of the cayenne..mmm

kkl123

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 04:12:21 PM »
I've made a very similar recipe to the tomato soup, substituting vegetarian broth for the chicken stock, and boosting the umami flavor component with sauteed mushrooms.  Quite good if I do say so myself.  The vegetarian I made it for wouldn't eat it... swore there was beef stock in it. 

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 10:35:30 PM »
The trouble is, I bet this would be like my mums and lose its fabness without the homemade chicken stock.

I do like the idea of the cayenne..mmm

I have actually used a local brand of organic chicken broth and it's still good. 

Use the best tomatoes and tomato paste you can find.