Author Topic: What Holiday Food Taditions Do You NOT Like?  (Read 28409 times)

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
Re: What Holiday Food Taditions Do You NOT Like?
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2011, 08:45:30 AM »
I love cream of mushroom soup from the can.  Guess I'm just extra gross.

Naaaah I always have a case or two in the pantry. Open crockpot, add meat (chicken, beef, pork or whatever) dump cream on soup on, add some wine, go to work, At lunchtime turn on low and mix in wild rice... viola! Dinner in a few hours.

Redwing

« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2011, 09:05:54 AM »
I will use cream of mushroom soup in the crockpot as well.  Just not in the GBC!

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »
I love cream of mushroom soup from the can.  Guess I'm just extra gross.
You and me both! I love to make it with rice. Just take minute rice, milk, and the soup, equal proportions and cook up till the rice is the right consistency. We do this with cream of chicken as well.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2011, 04:44:12 PM »
So wait ... can of soup, can of uncooked rice, can of milk?

That sounds suspiciously easy ...
Words mean things.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
So wait ... can of soup, can of uncooked rice, can of milk?

That sounds suspiciously easy ...

Oh it is! With the cream of chicken we add in precooked chicken bits as well. It is great when you are ill since it is nice, thick, and sticks to your ribs good. Also less likely to spill if that is a worry. (Too many years of Strep Throat)
We even have a casserole recipe that includes the soup and rice, cooked up ground beef with onions and celery topped with either fried onions or crunchy chow main noodles. 

Now I have to beg that recipe from my Mom to make it.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2011, 12:29:17 AM »
Cream of whatever soup is for making .... soup and nothing else.

Victoria

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2011, 09:41:40 AM »
Pecan pie.  egads, that stuff is vile.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

jenny_islander

« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2011, 03:28:10 AM »
I love a sliver of warm pecan pie--but only a sliver, it's richer than fudge--with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.

I can't stand marshmallow-topped yams.  Gooey, over-sweetened, chemical-tasting white sludge on top of perfectly good yams.  Ick!

jenny_islander

« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2011, 03:31:21 AM »
I hate stuffing and anything with baked-till-mushy veggies (green bean casserole, here's looking at you!). Also, I don't eat jello or meat, so there's that (though I did like ham or turkey when I was a kid; hated gravy, beef or gefilte fish -- yeah, my families celebrated a range of holidays). I go pretty nontraditional for the big holidays! My mom always made a cheesy potato casserole for holidays that I loathed to an amazing degree, but that was more of a family thing than a widespread tradition.

I am on team canned cranberries (whole berries, not jellied), though I made my own for the first time recently and loved it. It's kind of hard to find fresh cranberries here most of the year. Sweet potatoes without marshmallows, please.

Try green bean casserole that starts with fresh green beans and homemade white sauce.  Oooh yum!  (One of the upsides of marrying into a family that has lots of food allergies: Great scratch cooking.)  I cannot stand Jell-O anything.  It just does not seem like food to me.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2011, 07:08:17 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but eggnog.  I like the taste of it, but as a drink, its just too rich and heavy.  Baskin Robbins I think, used to have eggnog ice cream, and that was yummy, but I can't drink it

Rohanna

« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2011, 07:32:14 PM »
I  mix eggnog with a 1/3 of milk and some ice cubes, and then I like it. :)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Last_Dance

« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
Struffoli - little balls of dough fried and dipped in warm honey. Way too hard and sticky.

They are a typical Neapolitan recipe - my family isn't Neapolitan, but one of my great-aunts moved there after she got married and she made them the first time she came to see us for Christmas.
The year after that, we were dreading having to eat them again, but luckily we didn't have to. 
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

Faerydust

« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2012, 12:26:56 AM »
I don't like ham or candied yams.

finecabernet

« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2012, 12:03:42 AM »
Great topic! Turkey and sweet potatoes are just yucky to me. I fill up on sides on Thanksgiving and avoid the turkey altogether. And coming from an Italian background, we used to be inflicted gifted with pizzelles and biscotti that reeked of anise oil. After my grandmother died we dropped the anise from both recipes and they were much better.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2012, 02:50:37 PM »
Random frozen vegetable* served with the holiday meal. It's not that I don't like it (unless it's peas), but I just don't see the point when there are so many things we don't eat on a regular basis, why bother adding an "everyday" dish to the mix?

*usually it's corn, which also raises the question of do we really need another starch, what with the stuffing and mashed potatoes?