Author Topic: What Holiday Food Taditions Do You NOT Like?  (Read 27712 times)

cattlekid

Re: What Holiday Food Taditions Do You NOT Like?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 08:10:59 AM »
Well, this is a little different holiday food - but DH is Serbian and it is tradition for Easter and our patron saint day to have stuffed cabbage.  Yuck, yuck, yuck.  The smell of cooked cabbage and sauerkraut truly makes me ill.  The one time I had to cook it here, I let it cook in the garage overnight so I wouldn't expire from the smell. 

Today is our patron saint day and the stuffed cabbage will soon be arriving.  Everyone devours it but me. 

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 08:12:18 AM »
Can-shaped cranberry sauce. Blech. I truly don't recall anyone ever eating any of it. Why is it there?

my family loves it.

Then before we get good and going on dinner (which is generally after a glass of wine or two), I will steal the can(s) and send it to you. Win-win!
Words mean things.

Snooks

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 09:37:46 AM »
Mince pies, christmas pudding and christmas cake -- blech! You can't go anywhere around here in the month before christmas without a mince pie being handed to you, and I loathe them. And the smell of christmas pudding (especially if it being heated in the microwave) is just vile.

I'll swap with you I love all of those things.  Which reminds me I must make my Christmas cake soon.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 10:49:29 AM »
Can-shaped cranberry sauce. Blech. I truly don't recall anyone ever eating any of it. Why is it there?

my family loves it.

Then before we get good and going on dinner (which is generally after a glass of wine or two), I will steal the can(s) and send it to you. Win-win!

We've  never quite understood the canned cranberry sauce either, since the fresh is dead easy to
make.  The problem may be that a pound bag of cranberries makes a lot of sauce and the can provides a reasonable amount. 

Regardless, cranberries were a necessity because the snack we left for Santa required them.  Mom roasted the turkey most of the way on Christmas Eve afternoon.  In our house, Santa's traditional snack was a warm turkey sandwich with mayo, stuffing and cranberry sauce. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »
I'm not a fan of stuffing. I eat a small helping of it on Thanksgiving for the sake of tradition, but I don't really enjoy it that much.

I don't like most pies, but only because I don't like pie crust. But I will eat a piece of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving- sometimes just the filling. And I do like anything with an Oreo or graham cracker crust.
I make 'naked' pumpkin pie for that very reason!  Just the pumpkin filling with the eggs and milk and spices, baked in a casserole dish. Apple crisp instead of apple pie.  More than half of the calories in pie are in that vile crust, so why bother to make it?

Pecan pie is an exception.  I did try the casserole dish version, and just about had to chip it out with a chisel. ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:56:58 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
Candied ___________ (carrots,yams, sweet potatoes.. all on the menu and I detest them all)
That vile green bean mess my mom now makes from scratch.  It doesn't taste any better.  Why, yes I have food issues! :)

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 04:35:52 PM »
I'm not a fan of stuffing. I eat a small helping of it on Thanksgiving for the sake of tradition, but I don't really enjoy it that much.

I don't like most pies, but only because I don't like pie crust. But I will eat a piece of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving- sometimes just the filling. And I do like anything with an Oreo or graham cracker crust.
I make 'naked' pumpkin pie for that very reason!  Just the pumpkin filling with the eggs and milk and spices, baked in a casserole dish. Apple crisp instead of apple pie.  More than half of the calories in pie are in that vile crust, so why bother to make it?

Ooh, this is a flash from the past!

Back in the Automatic days, Horn & Hardart made a delicious thing they called pumpkin custard.  Basically, it was pumpkin pie without the crust.  Absolutely heavenly!

Pecan pie is an exception.  I did try the casserole dish version, and just about had to chip it out with a chisel. ;D

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 05:35:08 PM »
Candied whatever, sweet potatoes -- especially with the marshmallows, cranberry anything.  I love the stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, green bean casserole.  Heck, I could do without the turkey.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »
Ooh, naked Pumpkin pie.  That brings back memories.

The old Horn & Hardart automats and retail stores used offer pumpkin custard.  That was absolutely delicious and dieters could fool themselves that it was less caloric than a slice of pie.  :D

arkzak

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »
I actually like bread sauce  ;D.

However I have to agree with the PP who mentioned trifle.  :-X In particular the sherry- soaked sponge bits in jelly. Truly revolting.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2011, 12:01:44 PM »
Turkey, duck or pea salad.  (canned peas, mayo, sugar, sweet relish with cubed velveeta cheese shudder)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
Turkey, duck or pea salad.  (canned peas, mayo, sugar, sweet relish with cubed velveeta cheese shudder)
pea salad sound horrifying.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »
I hate pumpkin anything.  Pumpkin pie, pumpkin coffee, pumpkin chai...all of it.  If you tell me something has pumpkin in the name, I'm going to tell you "no thanks". 

I also don't like sweet potatoes, so I decline those dishes as well during the holidays. 

Green bean casserole is disgusting, I think, and I would happily ban it from any holiday dinner I attend.  Two years I got stuck making it for a family dinner, and I had to have DH help me with it because the smell was too much for me and I felt like I was going to vomit.  The family figured it out, and last year I got to make mashed potatoes instead (which everyone raved over!). 

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2011, 02:04:58 PM »
pea salad sound horrifying.

We love it with frozen peas, Miracle Whip instead of mayo, relish but no sugar, and cubed cheddar (cubes 1/4 inch). Often we use cubed ham in it, too.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2011, 02:24:19 PM »

I don't know a single person of Scandanavian descent who really likes lutefisk. 

I do. Not me, personally, but I am of 100% Scandinavian extraction, and I do know people who like it.