Author Topic: What Holiday Food Taditions Do You NOT Like?  (Read 29179 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: What Holiday Food Taditions Do You NOT Like?
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2011, 02:26:02 PM »
Can-shaped cranberry sauce. Blech. I truly don't recall anyone ever eating any of it. Why is it there?

My ex-husband loves that stuff and always wants it on the table. He loves my homemade spiced cranberry sauce with zinfandel, and he'll eat a lot of it, but he also likes his Ocean Spray canned stuff.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2011, 07:34:17 PM »
Can-shaped cranberry sauce. Blech. I truly don't recall anyone ever eating any of it. Why is it there?

My ex-husband loves that stuff and always wants it on the table. He loves my homemade spiced cranberry sauce with zinfandel, and he'll eat a lot of it, but he also likes his Ocean Spray canned stuff.

Dear Cathy,

We'd love to get the cranberry sauce with zin recipe.  would you be willing to post it?

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2011, 07:40:10 PM »
It's been posted already, somewhere in the recipes folder. I'll find it and link it for you.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum

Glaceon

• Pokemon Trainer
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2011, 09:03:28 PM »
Count me in the pumpkin free camp.  I hate the stuff in all its forms.  Not a fan of pecan pie either.

My inlaws' holiday offerings are pretty standard and I like most all of it.  Except for jello with stuff in it.

My family has shifted so my mother is the center and we are just starting our own traditions.  So we're always doing new things and aren't really stuck on anything we don't like.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2011, 09:19:24 PM »
I forgot all about pecan pie.  Luckily my mom hates the stuff.  I don' t hate it, but most of the time I find it sickening sweet.  Their is only one person I have ever met that made a great, not too sweet pecan pie.

I also forgot about macaroni salad.  A few people eat it, but I hate the version they all like.  Only an aunt and I like the other one.  So every year I end up making two different ones.

I like my pumpkin pie, but LOATHE store bought ones.  They are bland and the texture is slimy.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2011, 09:24:25 PM »
I love pecan pie, but I can't eat it (fragile dental work).

Dazi, I'm with you on store-bought pumpkin pie. It's an abomination. I can easily see someone deciding they hate pumpkin pie if store-bought is all they've ever had. I use the same recipe I've had for 20+ years, with very few variations. I make my own crust. I love pumpkin pie! I make bourbon-cinnamon whipped cream for the adults to top their pie, and plain cinnamon whipped cream for the under-21s.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2011, 09:36:33 PM »
I make bourbon-cinnamon whipped cream for the adults to top their pie.

Is that recipe posted? If not, would you mind sharing? I didn't think there was a way to improve mom's pumpkin pie (I won't touch the store-bought stuff, but her's is AWESOME), but that might be just the thing.
The status is not quo!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2011, 09:39:01 PM »
Cathy, that sounds delicious.   :)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2011, 09:40:38 PM »
I make bourbon-cinnamon whipped cream for the adults to top their pie.

Is that recipe posted? If not, would you mind sharing? I didn't think there was a way to improve mom's pumpkin pie (I won't touch the store-bought stuff, but her's is AWESOME), but that might be just the thing.

I just whip heavy cream with a bit of powdered sugar (not a lot, as I prefer my whipped cream on the less-sweet side), a good slug of bourbon, and a dash of cinnamon. It must be heavy cream, though.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
Sweet. My dad will be in heaven.  :D
The status is not quo!

jmarvellous

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »
I hate stuffing and anything with baked-till-mushy veggies (green bean casserole, here's looking at you!). Also, I don't eat jello or meat, so there's that (though I did like ham or turkey when I was a kid; hated gravy, beef or gefilte fish -- yeah, my families celebrated a range of holidays). I go pretty nontraditional for the big holidays! My mom always made a cheesy potato casserole for holidays that I loathed to an amazing degree, but that was more of a family thing than a widespread tradition.

I am on team canned cranberries (whole berries, not jellied), though I made my own for the first time recently and loved it. It's kind of hard to find fresh cranberries here most of the year. Sweet potatoes without marshmallows, please.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »
Turkey, duck or pea salad.  (canned peas, mayo, sugar, sweet relish with cubed velveeta cheese shudder)
pea salad sound horrifying.

We love it with frozen peas, Miracle Whip instead of mayo, relish but no sugar, and cubed cheddar (cubes 1/4 inch). Often we use cubed ham in it, too.

Nope,it has to be sweet relish and a tsp or more of sugar to mix in the mayo.  And none of that cheddar, only velveeta.

My mom is very particular in making it just this way.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!

Gumbysqueak

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »
Passover=Gefilte fish  :-X