Author Topic: What Holiday Food Taditions Do You NOT Like?  (Read 27671 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: What Holiday Food Taditions Do You NOT Like?
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »
The leftover mint jelly is dabbed on cream cheese covered club crackers as an appetizer for your next party. (I love it.)

I love Club crackers with cream cheese and jalapeno pepper jelly.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2011, 08:06:47 PM »
The leftover mint jelly is dabbed on cream cheese covered club crackers as an appetizer for your next party. (I love it.)

OOOOOOOOOOOO! Going to  a gourmet gift shop in Nov. Now I know what to buy! Thanks.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »

I have never, ever had that, and yet now I'm craving it.
The status is not quo!

jmarvellous

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2011, 10:54:13 PM »
Pepper jelly is fabulous, particularly with cream cheese, but I like the jellies with a bit of fruit (think mango, peach or raspberry) even better.

Speaking of ...
Queso (hot cheese dip with jalapenos, tomatoes, etc. in it) is a Texas holiday snacking-before-the-meal standard, but I hate when they dirty up my queso with seasoned ground beef.

And another pre-meal standard, the veggie-and-dip tray? Let's keep it radish-free, please!

CakeBeret

« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2011, 11:09:01 PM »
I hate turkey. There, I admitted it. I cannot stand it, loathe it, absolutely abhor it. In my entire life of eating turkey at least once per year, I have eaten exactly one slice of turkey that was remotely palatable. That turkey had been injected with butter all over and then deep fried. I didn't hate it but I wasn't really clamoring to eat it again. I generally take a small slice at Thanksgiving and smother it with liberal amounts of gravy (people around here are very protective of their traditions and may become mortally offended if one admits to not liking turkey).

Another thing is my family's traditional "jello salad". Jello is prepared but before it is refrigerated, it is mixed with cottage cheese and canned fruit. The result is a semi-opaque blob with little white chunks and sad-looking fruit bits. My entire family loves it and eats mass amounts of it in the holidays, while I watch in horror.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2011, 11:12:38 PM »

I have never, ever had that, and yet now I'm craving it.

It's THAT good.

(and Luci45 - you're welcome. Thank my dad. :) )

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2011, 11:19:30 PM »
Can-shaped cranberry sauce. Blech. I truly don't recall anyone ever eating any of it. Why is it there?

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I had to respond to this.  :) LOL! I hate it too, but if that weren't on the table at Thanksgiving there would be a revolt in my family.  I have no idea why it's so good to them, but it must be on the table and it must retain the shape of the can.  :P

As for me, I'm the only one in my family who hates pumpkin pie and yams/sweet potato anything. Blech!  :P

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2011, 12:04:56 AM »
Everybody seems to want the jelled cranberry. I serve 40 people at 5 tables. I slice that stuff about 1/2 " thick and quarter the slices, then put 1 hunk per person on a plate on each table. I usually have about 2/3 of it left. If I put it with the rest of the buffet, no one eats it but they ask for it. I guess it is just decoration.

LTrew

« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2011, 04:30:36 AM »
Man, I sometimes eat it plain! It is the texture I think.  It has to be really, cold though, and then it is like a delicious smooth cranberry dessert almost.  It is also nice on your leftover sandwiches. 

I do make proper cranberry sauce as well, one of my favorites is this Sweet and Savoury Cranberry sauce, with red onion.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2011, 07:35:41 AM »
I join Brunhilde for most food holidays and the only food I really have issues with is lamb at Easter.  I eat one slice of it in the name of friendship, but she usually puts enough garlic in it to make it tolerable for me.

She once prepared yams with brown sugar and a relatively sweet stuffing; that was a one-shot deal.

Cranberry jelly doesn't do anything for me, so I make cranberry sauce with Splenda.  I do three bags of berries and present three versions (plain, with mandarin oranges, and with maraschino cherries).

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
I can never bring myself to eat pumpkin pie.  Perhaps because the thick texture remind me of moon cakes, a Chinese holiday food that I can't stand.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »
What is bread sauce? And Christmas cake? For the latter I am envisioning a delightful towering white-frosted cake, perhaps dotted with candy canes - though I doubt it would be so unpopular if that was the case.

I hate green bean casserole and that horrible jellied cranberry sauce. I also won't eat anything with Jello in it.  I have no problem eating meat, I just don't want it disguised as dessert. Ugh, sweet jiggly meat  :-X

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »
It is a lactose intolerant, teetotaller, dried fruit disliking persons nightmare...

LOL! Can I just say, this is probably the best summary of Christmas in the UK I ever heard. ;D

Snooks

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2011, 01:12:31 PM »
What is bread sauce? And Christmas cake? For the latter I am envisioning a delightful towering white-frosted cake, perhaps dotted with candy canes - though I doubt it would be so unpopular if that was the case.

I hate green bean casserole and that horrible jellied cranberry sauce. I also won't eat anything with Jello in it.  I have no problem eating meat, I just don't want it disguised as dessert. Ugh, sweet jiggly meat  :-X

Christmas cake (in my house at least) is a fruit cake made in late October which gets holes poked in the top with a small knitting needle and brandy poured in once a week until a few days before Christmas when the cake is covered in apricot jam then marzipan and topped off with royal icing (normally on Christmas Eve).  I love it.  Some people put nuts in it but I don't like nuts.

Wedding cakes in the UK are pretty much the same thing, although sponge is becoming more popular which means I tend to be disappointed when the cake comes round at weddings.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2011, 02:38:33 PM »
So it's basically like a fruitcake in the US. Though I think I would like fruitcake much better if it was covered in marzipan and frosting, yum.