Author Topic: What Holiday Food Taditions Do You NOT Like?  (Read 28502 times)

magicdomino

Re: What Holiday Food Taditions Do You NOT Like?
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
Random frozen vegetable* served with the holiday meal. It's not that I don't like it (unless it's peas), but I just don't see the point when there are so many things we don't eat on a regular basis, why bother adding an "everyday" dish to the mix?

*usually it's corn, which also raises the question of do we really need another starch, what with the stuffing and mashed potatoes?

I have to confess to doing this, although it is a green vegetable, usually broccoli or green beans.  With all of the rich food, I like something simple that tastes like what it is.  Also, I feel guilty if there isn't something green on the table, and my family ignores tossed salad and dislikes green bean cassarole.  I think one of the kids eats brussels sprouts, but I have no idea where he got that from since everyone else makes gagging noises when they are mentioned.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »
Random frozen vegetable* served with the holiday meal. It's not that I don't like it (unless it's peas), but I just don't see the point when there are so many things we don't eat on a regular basis, why bother adding an "everyday" dish to the mix?

*usually it's corn, which also raises the question of do we really need another starch, what with the stuffing and mashed potatoes?

I have to confess to doing this, although it is a green vegetable, usually broccoli or green beans.  With all of the rich food, I like something simple that tastes like what it is.  Also, I feel guilty if there isn't something green on the table, and my family ignores tossed salad and dislikes green bean cassarole.  I think one of the kids eats brussels sprouts, but I have no idea where he got that from since everyone else makes gagging noises when they are mentioned.

I'd be all for a tossed salad. I think one reason my family does frozen is because it's quicker to microwave a bag of frozen veggies than to put together a salad.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »
Fresh salad is awesome stuff.  I need to eat more of it.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2012, 09:33:49 PM »
To me, corn is a traditional Thanksgiving vegetable. There's the tradition that the Native Americans taught the Pilgrims how to plant corn, and without the corn, they might have starved those first few years. I think in one of the Little House on the Prairie books, Laura talks about always having three corn kernels at her place on Thanksgiving. Something about at times, that was all the Pilgrims had to eat. (I could have the author completely wrong, though.)

My dad always had a garden, and Mom would put up some of the vegetables just for Thanksgiving. We ate most of them as they got ripe, but we always had green beans and carrots from the garden for Thanksgiving, and frozen corn.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

kckgirl

« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2012, 07:09:13 AM »
I hate mushrooms. I mean I really hate mushrooms. It's a texture thing. They feel like rubber bands in my mouth. But I really love green bean casserole and would love to have it without mushrooms. Would it work well with regular white sauce?
Maryland

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »
I hate mushrooms. I mean I really hate mushrooms. It's a texture thing. They feel like rubber bands in my mouth. But I really love green bean casserole and would love to have it without mushrooms. Would it work well with regular white sauce?

If it really is the texture, puree the sauce and musrooms (or cream of mushroom soup) in the blender. I think the mushroom flavor is an important part of the casserole.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2012, 09:45:44 AM »
I really don't like most of the 'cream of' soups, and I've made the casserole with cream of chicken soup and it was fine.

kckgirl

« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2012, 10:37:53 AM »

If it really is the texture, puree the sauce and musrooms (or cream of mushroom soup) in the blender. I think the mushroom flavor is an important part of the casserole.

*slaps forehead*

Why didn't I think of that?
Maryland