Author Topic: Seriously? Wow. Entitled Much?  (Read 8270 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Seriously? Wow. Entitled Much?
« on: October 10, 2011, 06:55:55 PM »
Brief B/G: DH and I have been friendly with an older gentleman who sometimes socializes with our group of friends. "William" is nice enough and we've had some pleasant conversations. He is a lawyer and we hired him to do some minor legal work for us a few years ago. We don't plan social events with him, but if we happen to be at the same venue, we generally spend some time chatting with him, so we are cordial, but I wouldn't classify him as an actual friend. End B/G

He apparently likes my taste in reading material because he invariably asks me for book recommendations, which I am happy to give since I am a big reader. What he did today, though, takes the cake!

My DH met friends for a beer after work today and ran into William. They exchanged pleasantries, and William asked my DH if I could give him a few titles that I could recommend. DH agreed to pass along the message and went to join his friends at another table. This is where it gets snowflakey!

William approached my DH again and said, "You know, I  think it would just be easier if you had SamiHami swing by my office and bring me some books to read."

Seriously? I am supposed to not only compile a reading list for this acquaintance, but also get the books for him and deliver them to his office? I honestly thought DH was kidding when he called to tell me (he couldn't wait to tell me). What in the world would make him think I would be willing to do that? The kicker is that he knows from previous conversations that I don't buy books-I borrow from the library (I was turning into a book hoarder and they were beginning to take over my house. Now I only borrow books and purchase the ones that I really feel I need to own). I can only guess that he thinks I am going to go and buy them for him, presumably intending to repay me upon delivery?

Needless to say (but I will anyway!), my response to DH was,"Please tell William that I'm afraid that won't be possible." DH loved my response and even said that I must have gotten that from that etiquette site that I like so much!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Re: Seriously? Wow. Entitled Much?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:40:27 PM »
To answer your question, yes.  Yes, he is entitled much.   ;)

You gave the right answer.  That's a real strange way to ask for this particular favor.  It's like saying, "Can I get the recipe for that casserole?" and then following up with, "You know what, better yet, can you just make it for me and family and drop it off at our house, say around dinner time on Monday?"

Next he will ask if you can read the books to him.    ::)
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 08:50:54 PM »
He may have been teasing, that is my dad's sense of humor.  If not, that is incredibly entitled.

Florida

Cuddlepie

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 08:52:14 PM »
Perhaps you could have yourself a little extra cash.  "No problems. I ONLY charge $xxx per book for being a personal shopper.  How many books would you like today William?"

ETA>  If William was teasing, then of course so were you.  Yes?

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 09:05:09 PM »
Either "that won't be possible" or "why would I want to do that?".

Sheesh.

Entitled, and presumptuous. 

Exactly why are you supposed to accede to suddenly becoming his personal shopper and delivery service, in addition to fronting the cost of the books, with no surety of being reimbursed?
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:12:15 PM »
It almost sounds as if Williams fancies you.

You and your husband handled this very well.

Minmom3

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
Heh.  "Easier for whom?"
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

gwennan

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:05:37 AM »
Heh.  "Easier for whom?"

I am *totally* stealing that! ;D

Lynnv

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:07:58 AM »
William approached my DH again and said, "You know, I  think it would just be easier if you had SamiHami swing by my office and bring me some books to read."

I could see myself saying exactly that to a friend who I trusted to give me recommendations-but only as a joke. 

If he was serious, then his inner snowflake is showing.  However, is it possible that he meant it as a joke, even if he conveyed it badly?
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

SamiHami

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 11:44:16 AM »

I could see myself saying exactly that to a friend who I trusted to give me recommendations-but only as a joke. 

If he was serious, then his inner snowflake is showing.  However, is it possible that he meant it as a joke, even if he conveyed it badly?

I asked DH that very question, and he said that he ceetainly seemed to be serious. So I don't think it was a joke.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 12:21:53 PM »
How did he react when told "no?"

Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

SamiHami

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 01:42:51 PM »
Actually, he hasn't been told anything yet. Instead of telling him my response, DH just said that he'd pass that message along to me. He has done so, and I choose to ignore it. I wonder if William will try contacting me directly next?

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »
Well, as long as you are dropping off books, how about my dry cleaning?  And, since we all go to the same grocery store, it really is not any more trouble to add my items to your shopping list!  And while you are at my house, you can fix us a pot of tea, sit down in the chair (after you have helped fold the laundry on it) and read the book out loud to me! 
Thank-you so much!  You are such a sweetie!

>:D >:D >:D

ok, The real RegionMom came back...
What I do for my piano students-
I write, book needed -- title, author, number in series, type (theory, ear training, lessons, solo, etc) and that I will need it by next lesson.  OR, contact me by specific date listed, and I will buy the book for you, with a 50 cent overcharge per cost of book. 

That way, I can plan my errands around my trip to the music store.  And, with my small teacher discount, I make-up the cost of gas and time.  I had one mom deliver a blank check to me!  Said she could not find the books.  I had actually delayed my trip until that very morning for another student, buying the same book. IF she had contacted me, I could have purchased another, instead of having her son wait another week, and my being scared about misplacing a blank check!

back ot-
Perhaps you could offer something similar, buying books, plus tax and a service and delivery fee.  But only if you would want to.  :)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

lowspark

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »
Sounds like he had you confused with his secretary. This kind of SS behavior would probably make me want to stop making recommendations at all. I'd start saying, "hmmm.... I haven't really read anything lately that I can recommend to you." OK, maybe that's unnecessary, I dunno. But when someone steps over the line like this as he has done, it sort of puts a bad taste in my mouth for doing any favors at all.

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »
Maybe provide information about the local library, and suggest that he get a card.  And you can sometimes even check out the books they have online.  (Just recently renewed my library card so I can check out a book onto my kindle).