Author Topic: Personal Information Given without Permission  (Read 4502 times)

auntiem

Re: Personal Information Given without Permission
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 12:36:41 AM »
Wow. It sounds like whatever brainiac who ok'd this is going to have to go door to door with a Sharpie to cross out her address then. That is the only solution I can see. If this happened to me I would quit and I never say this - but in this instance I would also sue if the privacy laws were on my side.

apple

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 12:45:07 AM »
The appropriate way to contact a teacher is at the school. Parents can always leave a message that way.

Or, use the teacher's email address at the school.

I can't think of any good reason to publish the home addresses and personal cell phone numbers of teachers in a directory. I would be upset if a school district I worked for did this.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 01:08:58 AM »
No way, no how is that appropriate.  One of my SILs is a grade school teacher and I know for a fact that she has an unlisted phone number precisely because she doesn't want her students/students' family knowing her home phone/cell/home address (know for a fact in that I've talked with her and she said exactly that).  The teachers in my children's schools are accessible via district-provided email, calling into the office during school hours, or by writing notes in the child's agenda book.  That's more than adequate.  Anything less than livid would be an underreaction to having that personal info given out to all and sundry.

Goog

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 01:12:55 AM »
Meg should ask if the school is now going to pay her cell phone bill because they have, without her permission, essentially turned her personal cell phone into a 'work' cell phone by giving out the number to students (customers) when she did not authorize them to. 

iradney

• DoSWMBO
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 02:01:57 AM »
Meg should ask if the school is now going to pay her cell phone bill because they have, without her permission, essentially turned her personal cell phone into a 'work' cell phone by giving out the number to students (customers) when she did not authorize them to.

POD

I can understand a phone number, but address? Really? Really??
“It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance.”
-Thomas Huxley

faithlessone

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 05:50:03 AM »
Seriously???

I could understand giving out her school email address, and a room number (if the teachers at that school have their own classrooms).

However, a personal email address, her home address and any personal phone number should have been strictly off-limits. No matter how good the school is (and I went to a very good school), there are always a few people who will take advantage (whether it's intended well or badly). How long is it going to be before she starts getting prank calls or things like that?

I would suggest that she (and the other teachers - I can't imagine she's the only one who feels like this) complain vigorously. I would also suggest, if she's worried, that she change her mobile number. However, I suppose there's nothing much she can do about her address.

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 05:56:18 AM »
I agree with all above. It's incredibly personal information which should not have been given out to all and sundry without her permission. However, now that it's been done, I suggest she leave it but ask the head firmly to not give out her information next year.

Kids (however young) or even parents knowing a teachers address, phone number or personal email address, facebook page whatever etc... can only lead to trouble. There is no need for any of that information to be given out as it is not necessary (unless its a school field/overnight trip and a mobile phone number for teachers is needed).

There is nothing that a parent can't rectify or ask by contacting the teachers personal school email (with school domain) as they can access it at school or at home. If they would like to talk on the phone, they could call the teacher at school after class hours or they could offer their phone number and the teacher could phone them back.

mathcat

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
I have been out of the classroom for a few years but even my small district had at least something to fill out in regards to privacy.  Recently I attended a substitute orientation for a moderately sized district.  We had a form to complete with quite a few types of personal information listed that we had to check if we did not want the information released.  That information included home address, mailing address, all telephone numbers, veteran status, date of birth, former name, race and ethnicity, marital status, information on family members, tax information, spouse's name, and social security number.  We were told that anything we did not check had to be released to anyone who asked due to open records requirements (USA).  This is why I recommended asking about a form to complete so that personal information can be closed.  If she wants to leave some information open that is fine but my list above gives an idea of what a district in the US is required to give out if requested.

I do understand that the directory was something the district created rather than this being a situation of just anyone asking for information.  Either way, there is probably some way to opt certain information out for the future. 

She is not being dramatic for not wanting certain information to be published.  I recommend though that she calmly checks on how to prevent release in the future since it is too late for this year's directory distribution.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:53:06 AM by mathcat »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 09:09:08 AM »
Wow, I'd be upset too, especially when you hear of all the SS parents who get upset when widdle pweshus gets low marks or poor behavior reports.  Last thing I'd want is them knowing where I live so they can harass me at home.

Oy.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 09:21:12 AM »
Meg is not overreacting.  If she doesn't want her address or phone number listed in a directory, that's up to her. 

I think that this is something the school better take care of ASAP.  The fact that nobody has ever complained until now doesn't mean that it's not a serious problem.

One of my SILs closed her Facebook account to make sure she was not accessible to her students or their parents that way-I can only imagine what having even more personal contact information disclosed without her permission would feel like.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 09:52:18 AM »
The appropriate way to contact a teacher is at the school. Parents can always leave a message that way.

Or, use the teacher's email address at the school.

I can't think of any good reason to publish the home addresses and personal cell phone numbers of teachers in a directory. I would be upset if a school district I worked for did this.

This. I don't want parents contacting me at home if I'm a teacher. Still less do I want them showing up at my house!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 09:58:21 AM »
There is no reason a parent or student needs to have a teacher's personal cell phone number, or land line number, or personal email or home address.

The school should provide a work email address for the teachers.  A message can be left by calling the school. Notes can be sent back and forth from parent to teacher via the student.

Teaching is not a 24/7 occupation. Once a teacher is home, while they may still have correcting and grading to do, they should be free from work-related interruptions.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

HorseFreak

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
I would be furious if my personal cell number was given out. At my current workplace our work cells are in limbo, meaning I have to use my personal phone to communicate with clients. Unfortunately, some consider this a way to get free, on-demand medical advice and I had to start screening calls from repeat offenders who would be told, "I can't diagnosis your ____ over the phone, would you like to bring it in for assessment? The emergency fee is $___." They would whine about being broke and expect me to do everything for free (aka cost me money in supplies and lose sleep). It's a waste of the minutes I pay a fortune for and invasion of my privacy.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 10:29:44 AM »
Supplying a teacher's home phone and address  ???  to students and their parents is a blatant disregard and violation of the teacher's privacy.  In some areas, it is also distinctly unsafe

Apparently you can do nothing about it this year.  That water has already gone over the dam.  But I think you should go to whomever came up with the idea of including this information in the student's packets and make absolutely certain that it doesn't happen ever again without consent.

JaneJensen

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »
I know why they do this..Please note I don't agree at all!
  They like the parents to know that thier teachers live in the communitty- sort of like " We teachers are just like you, we live in the same community as your kids and understand the challenges and benefits"   It has something to do with how we're all in this together mentality. So, for example the school around here is a walking only school. No busses at all . It's in the middle of a housing development. They want to encourage all the kids to walk to school for health reasons rather than get rides and apparently the kids are encouraged by this when they see even their teacher walking to school.

Of course this falls apart the second you have a teacher that lives on the other side of town and commutes to the school, or you have kids tp'ing ( or worse) the teachers' house because they got a bad grade.