Author Topic: Post-birth stuff  (Read 2902 times)

Kess

Post-birth stuff
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:07:17 AM »
Having had my baby a couple of months ago, I was already aware of the differences in the approach to pregnancy in the UK and US, but I was told recently that you're discouraged from bathing after birth until your 6 week check - is this true?  If so, why?  We are told to have at least one bath a day, to help with any stitches and make you more comfortable.

The midwife comes to visit every day for the first week and then less often for another couple of weeks, depending on if you're having any problems (they won't discharge you until they can see your stitches, if any, are healing well, and if you're breastfeeding they won't discharge you until that's established) and then the Health Visitor comes to check how you and baby are doing.  Then at 6-8 weeks you go to your GP and they check baby and give you a brief check.  How is it in the US?

Just Lori

• USA
Re: Post-birth stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:18:56 AM »
Good heavens, if someone had told me I couldn't bathe after giving birth, I would have wound up in the hospital's stress center.  I lived in the bathtub, first to provide some physical relief for the healing parts, then to help me relax and then because the tub was one of the few places I could go for some alone time.

The only thing I remember being discouraged to do during the first six weeks was what made me pregnant in the first place. ;)

As far as follow-up visits go, I think moms in the US receive a lot less follow up than you described.  Our GP visited us in the hospital to check on the baby, and we had regular appointments in his office during the first six weeks to track weight gain and general well being.  A lactation consultant visited in the hospital, but after discharge, it's up to the patient to be proactive about seeking help.  The mother's care is similar.  I went in for a follow-up appointment six weeks after delivery, but otherwise I just called the office if I had any issues.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:24:19 AM »
I've never heard that a woman shouldn't have a bath after giving birth.  My doctor told me it would help with healing.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:24:41 AM »
When I had my last child, which was 37 years ago, the hospital actually came and got my baby from my room and took her to the nursery for one hour. 

Reason?  So that I could go take a bath or shower!  They pretty much expected every mother to bathe before being discharged from the hospital! 

I have never heard of anyone having the kind of "at home" follow up care you describe.  Once home you're on your own.  If you think there's a problem with either yourself or your infant, it's up to you to call the doctor.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:32:16 AM »
Don't know about the bath thing, but yes, what other posters have described is pretty much how it's done. While in the hospital I was checked everyday, as was the baby. Since I was BF-ing, a lactation consultant came by everyday to see how things were doing and if I had any questions.

The only thing different for me after I left the hospital was b/c I had a c-section, my doc wanted to see me for a "2 week incision check." Then I didn't see him again for another month for the regular 6 week check to see how things were healing down there. I think the only things I've heard that we're supposed to avoid after birth is s*x and maybe exercise. Although I know not all women wait until they're "cleared" at 6 weeks to start exercising (aside from walking).

LB

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:39:18 AM »
I showered in the hospital the day after I had my baby. My doctor suggested short, shallow baths to help with the pain if I needed it. But no soap in that area.

My doctor said he normally wouldn't see me again until my six week PP checkup, but because of some problems during my pregnancy, he asked me to schedule with him in two weeks instead.

CoffeeZombieMommy

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 10:48:17 AM »
I had a c-section a month ago and have had the same experience as most other posters.

I was told no baths, but showers were okay.  No exercise, no picking up anything heavier than baby, and of course no trying for another kid.  The hardest is not picking up anything heavier than baby, I have a toddler who doesn't understand why mommy can't pick him up.  Also this makes it real hard to go anywhere with my kids and no other adult, as I can't lift the toddler or the baby while in her car seat.  So I don't go anywhere with the kids by myself.

My post-partum care included both a Pediatrician and an OB checking my and baby each morning in the hospital.  My hospital has a post-partum clinic where they like to check you and baby 2 days after release.  Also there is a Lactation clinic that is open 7 days a week.  Lactation will see you the last day in the hospital just to make sure everything is okay. 

I had a 2 week incision check and my 6 week is coming up.  I can't wait to be cleared so I can pick up my toddler and work out.

Mrs.E

• AKA: Micha, SoontobeMrs.E
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »
I was told no regular baths until my midwife checked me at the 6 week mark to make sure everything had healed properly. She said it was because of risk of infection if you had tearing or stitches. She said sitz baths were okay, but I need a full tub of HOT water to enjoy myself so I just suffered for 6 weeks. :P

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 12:25:30 PM »
It's been a while since I had my second but I remember them allowing me to shower in the hospital, and the nurse even helped me to the shower.   And I think they also had to check to make sure a boy's circ was healing well and the umbilical cord looks right.   They also wouldn't release baby until they saw proof of a car seat.  I don't know if that'll be the case here since its a different hospital, but I guess we'll find out!

And from what I remember, mother and baby usually get a checkup 2 weeks post partum and then 6 weeks and then the mom's all set and the baby goes in regularly for shots and well baby checks.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »
When I had my last child, seventeen years ago, baths were encouraged and the only restriction was to only do as much as I felt able to do.  DH was instructed to let me sleep when the baby slept and to not let me do too much.  If I looked tired, to tell me to rest.  He was also instructed to keep an eye out for the symptoms of PPD.  And intercourse was discouraged until everything was healed.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

IslandMama

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 10:21:36 PM »
I'm in Australia.

There were no restrictions on baths for me although some of my friends who had C-Sections were told only showers for the first few weeks, perhaps that's what you heard?  I had a fairly straightforward delivery (no stitches or anything) and so quite happily wallowed in deep baths for the first few weeks... and Espsom Salts were my friend.  :)

I had a paed and LC visit me in hospital and was able to call the LC clinic at the hospital (or visit at certain times) free of charge for the first six weeks.  I did early discharge (24-36 hours post birth is considered early, apparently) and so had the visiting team that came to see me every day for the first week.  After the third visit I said my milk was in, I was comfortable with the feeding and didn't have any dramas so was happy for them to drop me from the list.  I only lived a few blocks from my GP's surgery anyway so if there was an issue then I could pop down there.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »
Having had my baby a couple of months ago, I was already aware of the differences in the approach to pregnancy in the UK and US, but I was told recently that you're discouraged from bathing after birth until your 6 week check - is this true?  If so, why?  We are told to have at least one bath a day, to help with any stitches and make you more comfortable.

Absolutely not true in my experience. At all.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 05:45:33 AM »
Mostpeople i know in the US shower as opposed to bathing, perhaps that is part of the confusion.  I know my sisters were both showereing within 24 hours of heir c-section, smae with SIL after birth.  Alll had the help and approval of medical staff.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 05:50:54 AM »
I had a bath in the hospital directly after DS1 was born nine years ago. They had moved to showers when DS2 was born eight years ago. Again I had a shower directly after. I had stitches with both.

I was told to take daily baths (we didn't have a shower back then anyway). I can't imagine not doing so TBH.
NE England

LTrew

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 06:19:51 AM »
I was popped right in the bath after giving birth.  It stung like the dickens and the water turned purple so I can't imagine sitting around for ages in that muck. 
This was in the UK though, and I don't have much experience of US hospital births, as my mother disliked them so much after three that she had her last five children at home.  Still, I don't think that there is a bathing ban in force.

The only thing I've ever heard about a bathing ban is in China, where they have a baby moon.  Apparently an old lady (or your mother) comes in and you are literally not allowed out for a month.  No showers, no washing your hair, no teeth brushing, no cold food, you have to wear a hat all the time and they stuff you full of food and pamper you.  I think they still give new mothers sponge baths or towel them down, but they are definitely not allowed to take a shower or a bath for that time.