Author Topic: Puff Pastry Rant  (Read 969 times)

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
Puff Pastry Rant
« on: July 17, 2007, 11:35:24 PM »
I'm too lazy to make my own puff pastry or even "rough puff pastry."  The thing is... the only puff pastry I can find at the store is that stupid Pepperidge Farms stuff, which is made with shortening rather than butter (blargh!)

I'm odd when it comes to food... I HATE substitutes like shortening.

Does anyone know of any other brands of puff pastry that use butter rather than shortening?  It tastes and browns better.

Sefie

Re: Puff Pastry Rant
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 02:22:50 AM »
Don't know if you have it in America, but Pampas is a nice brand that tastes buttery...  I haven't checked the ingredients list to see if it actually uses butter or shortening though.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:51:16 AM »
I'm too lazy to make my own puff pastry or even "rough puff pastry."  The thing is... the only puff pastry I can find at the store is that stupid Pepperidge Farms stuff, which is made with shortening rather than butter (blargh!)

I'm odd when it comes to food... I HATE substitutes like shortening.

Does anyone know of any other brands of puff pastry that use butter rather than shortening?  It tastes and browns better.

I don't buy or use puff pastry because of the margerine (or whatever evil fat they make it with). have you ever tried using  filo dough? it's not the same but at least you can control the amount/type of fat that you use. i like filo better than puff pastry

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Kikki

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 12:16:57 PM »
Have you tried asking at a bakery if they could sell you some?

BTW, I don't think you are anywhere near lazy for not making your own puff pastry. It really is a lot of work with all that folding, rolling out and waiting...

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 08:47:42 AM »
I was just reading that Julia Child used premade puff pastry.

She said making it yourself was just too much.