Author Topic: not registered for baby shower  (Read 4381 times)

BJPF

Re: not registered for baby shower
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 12:58:30 PM »
There are things that a new mom and dad will always need, no matter  how many they already have, like diapers or onesies.

I have seen this line (or close to it) on this types of posts.  You are assuming that Mom and Dad are using disposable diapers.  There are number of people who use cloth.  But of course, if they have good manners they will accept the gift, smile, say thank-you, write the thank-you card, and give the disposable diapers to someone who uses them.

tapperjockey

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 02:56:37 PM »
Since it's her first, I'd probably say "Well DD really thought some of the more experienced moms would know what they especially liked for there baby".  If they still were complaining they couldn't think I'd maybe say "But I know she likes  F,G,H,I,J,K,L and the Britax Marathon Car seat"  (some people really do need ideas. Like my gma, it's been so long since she's been around infants, or a 2nd cousin, she's 50, childless and really.. well, she brought one of those  Leapfrogs w/ extra books for like 8 year olds.. to a baby shower. But the mom and dad liked playing with it :)). 

(and fwiw, if she is looking at carseats... I highly recommend the Britax Marathon. My mom got it for my nephew, it goes from like 8 lbs to 80 lbs.. and it's incredibly easy to use. But it's heavy, I'll admit that.  It's one of the best crash tested ones. But I figure if Kid- notsofriendly me could use it, it's a great one. Some of them you need a degree in engineering to figure out I swear).

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 02:58:36 PM »
There are things that a new mom and dad will always need, no matter  how many they already have, like diapers or onesies.

I have seen this line (or close to it) on this types of posts.  You are assuming that Mom and Dad are using disposable diapers.  There are number of people who use cloth.  But of course, if they have good manners they will accept the gift, smile, say thank-you, write the thank-you card, and give the disposable diapers to someone who uses them.

The cloth diaper thing would honestly never even cross my mind.  I don't know a single mother who uses them, but I'm sure they're out there!  :)

LissaR1

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 04:47:22 PM »
The other thing we found about diapers is that moms find they have a preference based on their kid.  We found that something about the cut of Huggies made them leak for our son, but a good friend of mine had the same problem with Pampers and Huggies work far better for her.  It's one of those things that you just can't know until the kid is there.  (Of course, you might get lucky and there's no difference for you.  But still.) 

I mean, diapers are still a great gift, but I'm wary of getting too many before the baby is here, just because of our experience with different brands.

I do agree that registries are best for the big-ticket items, though.  However, it really depends on your crowd.  If you have people who are very close to you like close relatives, they might be interested in something like that.  But they're generally close enough to ask if you have a preference.  But the other people who are usually interested in the big ticket items are the people who aren't so close and want to gang up and go together to get one big gift instead of each of them getting an outfit or something.  In those cases, a registry is nice.  But i guess that's the bottom line- they're nice.  Nice and required aren't the same thing :)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 12:55:05 AM »

The cloth diaper thing would honestly never even cross my mind.  I don't know a single mother who uses them, but I'm sure they're out there!  :)

There are lots of them! :)

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 02:26:22 AM »

There are lots of them! :)

I know that this is a bit off topic, but what are the reason for using cloth diapers, nowadays?  My mom used them when we were little because we couldn't afford disposable diapers.  I always thought as this being the issue.  I wouldn't use cloth diapers if I didn't have to, so I have never understood why other people would.  Is it a money thing?  An environmental thing?  Thanks for the schooling!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 02:43:31 AM by jimithing »

tapperjockey

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 08:56:25 PM »
From what I know, they are usually better for the enviroment, they can be less expensive (but there are so many cute covers and all in ones, etc. You can make them expensive if you want), and a lot of times they are better for the baby's skin. A lot of babies have sensitive skin, and not all can do all diapers.   Also, not all diapers work for all babies, and with cloth you can customize them.  And they are usable for many different purposes.

bms2000

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 09:03:59 PM »
I used cloth diapers for both my kids. I loved them because:

-Less trash. In our town, we have to take our own trash to the dump, and pay for every bag we throw. Disposables would have made for a lot more trips to the dump.
-Less rash. Our kids never seemed to get diaper rash with the cloth, although their skin got irritated the few times we did use disposables.
-More convenient. I never had to run out to get diapers or baby wipes because we ran out. I would just throw in another load of laundry when the stack got low. And it's not like I didn't have to do laundry constantly anyway, LOL.
-Cheaper. For the price of a few big boxes of disposables, I bought enough cloth diapers and diaper wraps so that I only had to do a diaper load every other day, and they lasted through 2 kids.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 09:21:11 PM »
Thanks for the information about the cloth diapers!  The sole reason I'm sure I will use disposables is because I don't want to clean them!  ;)

bms2000

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 09:48:57 PM »
Thanks for the information about the cloth diapers!  The sole reason I'm sure I will use disposables is because I don't want to clean them!  ;)

I can understand that, although really, it wasn't that bad. At least if diapers are still stained after bleaching, no one sees them. White t-shirts that someone decided to make mud pies in, on the other hand... :P

BankLady719

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 11:46:50 PM »
I don't have a problem with people not registering for a baby shower. It is not rocket science to figure out are the basics that a baby needs.

Although I agree baby needs aren't rocket science, they don't come so naturally to everyone.  When I was 16 I went to my first baby shower.  I was completely lost as to what to buy for my friend.  So although I don't think a registry is necessary, just be aware that without one you truly are leaving your guests to their own devices.  Don't hold it against them if they are off the mark.

Millicent63

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 11:27:39 PM »
 Brava!  How classy!!!!

loopey2u

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
I love the registries.  I just pick something that is on the list, and I'm out of the store.  No thinking about it, no worrying if there will be duplicates or triplicates of the same thing, etc.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2007, 07:58:04 PM »

It wasn't that big a deal really, I used cloth for both kids (only 15 months apart).  I used the flat-kind that had to be folded first - I did once try the pre-formed-layered ones with the velcro-tabs, but they took absolutely forever to dry and always ended up stuck to each other.  At that time, you could get disposable diaper-liners that helped contain messes - and the ones that got only wet (not soiled) I washed and re-used.

I wasn't a die-hard cloth user though, I did use disposables whenever we went visiting or travelling and I'd imagine that most new moms would want to keep a few around just in case, so I think they'd be okay as a shower gift..  Of course I'd never recommend cloth to a mom who didn't have easy access to a washer and dryer.  I'm convinced that I saved a fair bit of money but of course it's hard to do an exact comparison. One alternative would be a diaper-service but they too seem to be less common these days.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 08:54:57 PM »
I don't have a problem with people not registering for a baby shower. It is not rocket science to figure out are the basics that a baby needs.

Although I agree baby needs aren't rocket science, they don't come so naturally to everyone.  When I was 16 I went to my first baby shower.  I was completely lost as to what to buy for my friend.  So although I don't think a registry is necessary, just be aware that without one you truly are leaving your guests to their own devices.  Don't hold it against them if they are off the mark.

Registering for baby-showers is fairly new though.  I'm not saying that I'm against it - just that some new moms might not even realize that there's an expectation that they should register.  (Of course bridal registries are not mandatory either, just that people tend to be more aware that they exist).  Actually I think it's easier to figure out what a new-mom needs as opposed to a new-bride.  For a new bride - very often she's been living independently for years (either with or without the groom) and already has many of her basic household needs so IMO the registry is more useful.  But for a new baby - really, a mom can never have enough receiving blankets, undershirts, towels.  At the one shower I had, I ended up getting a lot more use out of the "basics" than I did out of the "frillies".  If there's no registry and a guest is uncertain as to what to bring - she could always contact another mom and ask her advice as what would be useful.