Author Topic: Engagement Party Menu - Opinions?  (Read 6080 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Engagement Party Menu - Opinions?
« on: December 06, 2006, 11:24:01 AM »
Hi Guys,
Plans for the engagement party are coming along nicely.  We have had about 60 people RSVP so far.  I expect a few more last minute ones.  Everyone invited to this party, will be invited to the wedding.  I am completely shocked by the number of close friends we have.  Mom and Dad are busy de-packratting, and doing small stuff to the house like new curtains.  Mom is decorating the house to the nines with christmas stuff.  The only problem is that the handyman they hire fell off the wagon.  He gets his disability check (for being a drug-addict) on the 1st, so he usually buys drugs then.  My tax dollars at work.  Anyway, I am the one concerned with the food.  Here is our menu.  Any glaring omissions?  Party starts Sat at 6pm. 

Honey Baked Ham 
Nice rolls and croissants maybe CostCo, maybe bakery
Meat, cheese, fruit and veggie trays from Costco
Deviled Eggs (A friend of mom's is bringing)
*Stuffed Mushrooms (Stuffing is Mashed Potatoe based)
*Puffed Pastry Rolls (I am thinking some spinach, red pepper based, maybe some with hot&spicy pepperoni, maybe some others)
*Small crock-pot of Queso  (a TexMex Cheese Dip)
Tortilla Chips
*Baked Brie (with Apricot Jam but no nuts)
wheat thins
Ranch Dip in a Bread Bowl
Plain Chips
Cocktail Weiners (My fh requested nicely) in another crockpot
Red Velvet sheet cake from a bakery (I make a nice one, but I won't have time to decorate it.)
*Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake with white chocolate granache (I have made this before, but I saw a photo where they just put the granache on the wide shallow parts and it looked pretty)

If I have time I was thinking of making this apple pie-ish finger food things.  Fillo Dough rolled around apple pie filling and baked. 

Anyone know an easy recipe for Tomato Basil Soup?  Mom and Dad don't have a blender.  I thought it might be nice to have some soup out in a crock pot with coffee cups for people to drink the soup out of. 

Oh, and we will be having guests.  I can't start with prep until after my last exam on Thursday.  Four people are arriving Friday and two more on Saturday.  And, mom and Dad's oven is really awful.  I won't make cookies in it.  I put a star by the things I will need to prepare.  Mom can't cook. 

Any additions? 

krista_e

Re: Engagement Party Menu - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:37:27 AM »
Ooh, I think that all sounds so yummy!  I don't think that I would add much more that needs to be prepared by you - you don't want to be running around like crazy the day of the party!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 12:08:31 PM »
That is one of the problems with the handyman.  We were going to hire him to tend the beer and food.  The beer will be homemade and served from a tap. 

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 12:42:48 PM »
The menu sounds delicious.

I'd be concerned though about having a person with substance abuse problems as bartender though.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »
The menu sounds delicious.

I'd be concerned though about having a person with substance abuse problems as bartender though.

In this case, meth is the problem, not alcohol.  What is sad is that at his core, he is really a nice guy.  I have known him since I was 8, and he was maybe 10.  I am 36.  Our parents still live across from each other.  He has been doing drugs since maybe 12.  He told my mother recently that his parents didn't really care, as long as no one knew.  Knowing the parents, I believe that.  I know that parents are often unfairly blamed for the kids' problems, but in this case, I think they are at fault. 

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:44:40 PM »
Oooh, that all sounds sooo yummy!!

I hope everything goes great for you!

gr_gal1993

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 02:02:36 PM »
I don't think I would add much of anything to this menu.  The tomato soup is a nice touch, but I think you've got enough items to please all of your guests.  If you've got more than a few vegetarian guests then I might add a soup for them, but if almost everyone eats meat then you should be fine.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 02:50:31 PM »
Sounds yummy - just be sure to have some other beverage choices besides beer, though!  I usually try for at least one noncarbonated beverage at one nonalcoholic beverage, and I always have ice water available if people just can't stand the other options.  Maybe apple cider?  Tis the season!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 03:38:54 PM »
Sounds yummy - just be sure to have some other beverage choices besides beer, though!  I usually try for at least one noncarbonated beverage at one nonalcoholic beverage, and I always have ice water available if people just can't stand the other options.  Maybe apple cider?  Tis the season!

Thank you, That reminds me.  There will be several Baptists at the party.  (The kind that never drink, not the kind that only avoids alcohol in front of each other)   Doesn't Apple Cider need to be kept warm?  It sounds awfully good, and christmas-y.  I worry what a lineup of 6 crock-pots might look like.  Although I guess one more won't hurt.  I will have to look into that.  We have some bottles of fake champagne, the stuff IKEA sells.  I was thinking of making a pitcher of Iced Tea (we are in Texas).  FH can drink the leftovers.  Maybe a pitcher of lemonade.  We have some sodas.   

Just this minute I found out that in addition to the four cases of home-made beer my friend is making, I am getting a keg of Blonde Ale from a local Micro-brewery.  Dad will be so happy.  We're more Dark beer people, but free beer is beer. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 04:17:33 PM »
You can serve apple cider hot or cold, but it is definitely better hot :)  Put a few gallons in a big pot, put it over low heat on the stove, and dump in some cinnamon sticks and anise . . . yum!  (Or you can find pre-done packages of apple cider spices to add.)

It also has the benefit of being able to add alcohol to individual servings if people want it . . . although probably not beer!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »
You can serve apple cider hot or cold, but it is definitely better hot :)  Put a few gallons in a big pot, put it over low heat on the stove, and dump in some cinnamon sticks and anise . . . yum!  (Or you can find pre-done packages of apple cider spices to add.)

It also has the benefit of being able to add alcohol to individual servings if people want it . . . although probably not beer!

What kind of alcohol do people add to Apple Cider? 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 05:32:40 PM »
Google for "mulled cider recipes" and you'll find several variations.  I don't drink, so I wouldn't know what to recommend, but I learned long ago to find out which communal beverages *might* be alcoholic so I know to ask!

Balletmom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 11:31:19 PM »
The menu sounds wonderful, add me to the guest list.  ;D

The soup would be a nice touch, but I think the cider for non-imbibing guests would be more important.

And yes, there are two kinds of non-drinking Baptists!  :D

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 12:35:11 AM »
I am so glad y'll think the menu sounds good.  It seems sort of  - thin to me.  But then I know I come from a long line of women that believes hospitality means the table should sag in the middle.  So, I am know I am not a good judge.  A friend of mine told me about visiting his grandmother, probably a holiday.  He ate and ate and ate.   Grandmother kept handing him more food.  When she offered dessert.  He said, "No, I am completely stuffed"  I know this boy, and that is saying something.  Grandmother says, "Apple Pie".  No, I am really stuffed.  "Pecan, then"  She offered about 5 pies (which she had on hand), sure that if she had the right pie, he would eat more. 

Buffy2424

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 03:39:57 PM »
Probably rum in the cider. 

This will sound tacky, but... if it were me and I were making a bunch of things already, I might just buy Progresso Tomato & Basil soup, and dress it up with fresh basil leaves.  I think it's surprisingly good for a commercial soup.