Author Topic: Simple Dip Recipes?  (Read 2110 times)

edenparadox

Simple Dip Recipes?
« on: June 21, 2007, 07:17:04 PM »
I'm bored at home and I want something to put on crackers. Preferably something simple, made from pantry ingredients.

Anyone have any go to favorites?

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
Re: Simple Dip Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 07:48:14 PM »
I have two favorites, though you may not have the ingredients on hand....
Take one block of cream cheese (Philly!!) and unwrap it. Scoop green pepper jelly over it until cream cheese is covered. Perfect with Ritz crackers

Take one block of cream chees (Philly!!) and unwrap, place on a plate. Mix together chopped fresh cooked crabmeat and good cocktail sauce (Blackwell's or Lea and Perrin's if you can get it) until crab is well coated. Scoop over cream cheese and serve with favorite dip crackers.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Sefie

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:41:32 PM »
Cream cheese + fruit jam + cracker = bite-size cheesecake :D

jamiescudder

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 01:20:23 AM »
Cream cheese and crushed pineapple are a favorite at my house.

Summrs

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 02:23:54 AM »
Nani's Orange Cheese

1 8 oz brick cream cheese      
1 large onion, minced
1 cup butter             
Paprika (Hungarian Sweet)

Bring butter and cream cheese to room temperature.  Blend well and mix in onion.  Add enough paprika to make a deep orange color, blending as you add.  Shape into a ball and refrigerate for several hours to blend flavors.  Serve with Triscuit crackers.

edenparadox

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 07:52:18 AM »
Wow all these sound interesting. I need to go buy cream cheese though... Are all dips based on cream cheese?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 12:39:43 PM »
Wow all these sound interesting. I need to go buy cream cheese though... Are all dips based on cream cheese?

Not all, but the good ones are! :)  My favorite is more of a chip dip than a cracker dip, but combine a block of cream cheese with a jar of salsa, then add some powdered Ranch dressing mix. (They sell it in the little packets so you can make your own dressing.)  Refrigerate for a few hours to let it set, and perfect!  It's one of those great dips that just gets better the longer you let it set (I always make it the day before I have to take it anywhere), so it's a great leftover too. 

...If you have any left over, that is!

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 12:41:11 PM »
Dip is based on cream cheese, sour cream, yoghurt, mayonaise or sometimes marscapone.  Marscapone is nice for sweet dips - add enough milk to soften, sweeten to taste, and use it to dip fruit in.  Very good with strawberries.

Half mayonaise, half sour cream, dill, garlic, salt & pepper.  Or, instead of dill, use onions and parsley.  Or any herbs or spices you like.  Dips are very forgiving.

Mikayla

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 10:00:08 PM »
My favorite easy dip is  2 cups of sour cream, about 2/3 cup of mayo, about 4 oz of bleu cheese and a table spoon or so of brandy.  Blend it.  It's great on crackers, with veggies, or broiling it on buttered English muffins.   ;D

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 01:33:56 PM »
I make this occassionally.  I usually just mix it to taste so I don't have any hard and fast recipe for it.  Blue cheese and artichoke dip:

Blend together a tin of artichoke hearts, a few cloves of garlic, about 500g (1 pound) ricotta cheese and about 100g (about half a 'wedge') of blue cheese.  Mix in some cracked pepper if you like, and some sour cream if it needs to be runnier.  Serve with crackers and raw vegetables.

Everyone loves this dip when I make it for parties.

Hm, I just reread your original post and I guess most people don't keep ricotta and artichoke hearts at home, but I'll leave it here in case it helps anyway.

Gambitgirl

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 05:19:46 AM »
I have 2 but the first is the simplest:

1. Superbowl Dip

brown 1 lb. ground beef or turkey (whatever you prefer) and drain fat. sprinkle beef with a package of taco seasoning. melt one 16. oz block of Velveeta cheese on low to loew-medium heat on stovetop. as Velveeta melts as 6 oz of salsa (mild, medium, hot, whatever you prefer). once this mixture is creamy, add seasoned ground beef and mix well. serve with whatever sturdy ships will hold this very thick dip.

2. Spinach Artichoke Dip- I use low fat/fat-free for this recipe and not one has ever noticed the difference btw this and the full fat recipe, both are delicious!

-12-16 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed (use as much or as little as you like)
-mix 2 cups low fat or fat free mayo, 6 oz slightly warmed fat free cream cheese, and 8 oz. fat free sour cream
-add 2-3 cloves minced garlic to creamy mixture
-6 oz. artichoke hearts or bottoms. mash it with a fork until pulped
-mix spinach, artichoke, and creamy mixture together
-dump into medium sized casserole dish
-cook for 20 minutes at 350
-stir mixture and dump 8 ox of reduced fat parmesean cheese on top of mix until evenly covered
-cook another 20 minutes at 350 or until parmesean cheese on top is golden

serve with very sturdy chips tha can handle this very thick dip. i like to use toasted crusty bread or crostini. i often serve this in a hollowed out round bread bowl for presentation...and you can eat the bowl  :)

Psykogrl

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 04:23:50 PM »
You can make a great dip if you have a can of chick peas too!

Puree the chickpeas with some garlic and oil. Add a little salt and pepper. Some tahini paste wouldn't hurt, but if you don't have it you can just throw some sesame seeds in with the chickpeas while pureeing at first. A squirt of lemon at the end... and Viola! Hummus :)

See not everything has to have cream cheese :P lol!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 04:25:26 PM by Psykogrl »