Author Topic: When you make hard boiled eggs ---  (Read 3600 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
When you make hard boiled eggs ---
« on: July 19, 2007, 05:41:01 PM »
do you have any special tricks you use to make them easier to peel afterward?

I try to use older eggs; fresh eggs are notoriously difficult to peel, but I'm wondering if there are some other tricks I could be trying. I love making deviled eggs this time of year, but I invariably "lose" some of the whites on eggs that don't peel well.

jibby

Re: When you make hard boiled eggs ---
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »
I drain the water, then run cold water over them for about 30 seconds to one minute.  Then I drain that water and swirl them in the saucepan until they crack.  Mine usually crack in a spiderweb-like pattern, then the shell slides right off of the egg. 

I absolutely love tossing them into a salad or eating them for breakfast.  I'm interested to see what other tips will be posted!

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 05:53:49 PM »
No cooking tips, but I peel the shells off under cold water.  Works like a charm.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:59:59 PM »
Really?  I always thought newer eggs were easier to peel?  I usually don't have a choice.  Made 2.5 dozen eggs into deviled eggs for mom and dad's party last weekend.  Wasn't enough. 

I just put them in ice water when they are done. 

You do know the ziplock bag trick for deviled eggs? 

I have a machine that hard-boils the eggs using steam.  It is the only specialized electronic kitchen appliance that I like.  If you put the eggs in upside down from the way they were stored, the yolk ends up right in the middle. 

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 06:05:38 PM »
Really?  I always thought newer eggs were easier to peel?  I usually don't have a choice.  Made 2.5 dozen eggs into deviled eggs for mom and dad's party last weekend.  Wasn't enough. 

I just put them in ice water when they are done. 

You do know the ziplock bag trick for deviled eggs? 

I have a machine that hard-boils the eggs using steam.  It is the only specialized electronic kitchen appliance that I like.  If you put the eggs in upside down from the way they were stored, the yolk ends up right in the middle. 

Yes, I love the Ziploc trick. Sometimes I spoon 'em in, sometimes I use the Ziploc.

I love trying different varieties of deviled eggs too - this last batch, I added some sweet pickle relish, and it was delicious.

What do you put in yours?

AprilRenee

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 06:11:59 PM »
I run the eggs under cold water and then I bang them on the counter and then roll them under my hands on the counter top. It makes the shell come right off

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 06:14:16 PM »
My way to make HB Eggs is to put eggs in cold water and bring to a rolling boil, cover, turn off the heat, let sit for 20 to 25 min.

Run cold water over them, drain the pot and fill with ICE. run some more cold water in it.

let them sit untill the ice melts.

They will usually peel very easy. 

Of course there is always that ONE egg  !

I think that the Ice condenses all the leftover water into steam on the inside of the egg, and forces the shell away from the egg.

All I know is a high school "lunch lady" told me this one, and it works for me.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 06:16:19 PM »
Darn you CathyF, I want deviled eggs now!  :D

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »
My way to make HB Eggs is to put eggs in cold water and bring to a rolling boil, cover, turn off the heat, let sit for 20 to 25 min.

That's how I cook mine too, but I usually do 18 minutes from the full rolling boil.

I'm going to try that ice trick. I've always run cold water over them to stop the cooking, but I've never tried ice.

Summrs

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 06:34:49 PM »
Deviled eggs are great with some chopped scallion in them.. and/or chopped bacon (both very tiny, of course).... and to make them true deviled eggs, you have to cut little "horns" out of pimento, lol

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 05:10:06 AM »
what's the ziploc trick?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 05:16:28 AM »
put all the Deviled Egg "Innards" (your mixed up yellow stuff) in a large ziploc bag (frezer bag works best) smoosh it to one corner and cut a little bit of the corner of the bag off, and use it like a pastry bag

Makes filling them sooooo much faster
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 09:12:45 AM »

It also helps if you mush the yolks up with your fingers through the bag before putting anything else in.  The yolks are less likely to be in solid hunks that will clog up the hole in the corner.  The filling is then super smooth.   Don't use super cheap ziplocks, though.  I once had a blow-out. 

Also, since I started weighing the yolks/mayo, the only cleanup is the tablespoon, and the pot that boiled the eggs. 

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 12:04:41 PM »
Mix the yolk with cream cheese and finely chopped green olives and then put a green olive slice on top. Yummers!!  8)

Gotta try the ice trick - I always "lose" a couple of eggs to the peeling process.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 12:12:59 PM »
Using a pin to poke a small hole in the big end before cooking (there's an air pocket there) helps with the peeling for me.