Author Topic: When you make hard boiled eggs ---  (Read 3403 times)

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
Re: When you make hard boiled eggs ---
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 03:55:49 PM »
Sophia I only use the bag to fill the eggs - I mix the stuff in a bowl with a mixer, after I "rice" the yellows with a pastry cutter
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 03:58:22 PM »
do you have any special tricks you use to make them easier to peel afterward?

I try to use older eggs; fresh eggs are notoriously difficult to peel, but I'm wondering if there are some other tricks I could be trying. I love making deviled eggs this time of year, but I invariably "lose" some of the whites on eggs that don't peel well.

I've always boiled eggs under the opposite assumption.  Fresh eggs are easier to peel!  The fresher, the better. 

When eggs are older, the membrane lining the inside of the shell really sticks to the egg, so when you peel the shell off, the membrane takes part of the eggwhite with it.  I learned this by watching Martha Stewart.  :)  Nevertheless, it seems true for all the eggs I've boiled since.

TaylorMade

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 04:03:03 PM »
I make a lot of deviled eggs - Here are my tricks..

1 - Use 'older' eggs
2 - Bring to rolling boil, cover, let sit for 17 minutes
3 - Drain water, run cold water over them to stop the cooking process
4 - Put into refrigerator
5 - THE NEXT DAY - run under warm water and crack.  Cold water NEVER works for me.. The warm water seems to help that layer between the eggshell and egg slid right off the egg with the shell.

I think the big thing for me is that I never boil eggs that I am planning to crack right away.  I always boil the eggs at least a day in advance.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 04:50:31 AM »
put all the Deviled Egg "Innards" (your mixed up yellow stuff) in a large ziploc bag (frezer bag works best) smoosh it to one corner and cut a little bit of the corner of the bag off, and use it like a pastry bag

Makes filling them sooooo much faster

thanks.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 10:50:23 AM »
after you crack them, roll them around in your hand to keep cracking them until it won't crack anymore. then, pinch at the air bubble and peel it.

brooklyngirl

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 05:33:21 PM »
Darn you all...now I want deviled eggs, or at least hard boiled ones...and I don't have any eggs....

When I was little I used to feed the yolks to my canary.  I still like the white part better.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 05:36:06 PM »
I guess I've had it backwards all this time. 

So the eggs are supposed to be old?  That squicks me out a little.   :P

Rei-chan

• It's been awhile, but it's good to be back!
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 05:59:20 PM »

I don't make deviled eggs often, but I eat egg salad at least once a week, as well as having to make it when I worked for the Soda Shop.....at those times I had to hand peel around 3 dozen eggs each time.

I boil the eggs for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and let them sit for 10, followed by running cold tap water over the eggs and dumping it a few times.  Then I crack the eggs on the counter and they usually peel off in a single strip.

As to my filling, I just use mustard and mayo, with lots of pepper and salt to taste, and top them with paprika.  For the egg salad, I use a potato masher to mush them up, add the mayo, mustard, salt and pepper, and serve it still warm.   :)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 06:16:30 PM »
I guess I've had it backwards all this time. 

So the eggs are supposed to be old?  That squicks me out a little.   :P

Just older. Not rotten.  ;D

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 06:17:32 PM »

I don't make deviled eggs often, but I eat egg salad at least once a week, as well as having to make it when I worked for the Soda Shop.....at those times I had to hand peel around 3 dozen eggs each time.

I boil the eggs for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and let them sit for 10, followed by running cold tap water over the eggs and dumping it a few times.  Then I crack the eggs on the counter and they usually peel off in a single strip.

As to my filling, I just use mustard and mayo, with lots of pepper and salt to taste, and top them with paprika.  For the egg salad, I use a potato masher to mush them up, add the mayo, mustard, salt and pepper, and serve it still warm.   :)

Mmmmm. I love warm egg salad. It was one of my favorite comfort foods growing up; Mom sometimes made it for my lunch.

Rei-chan

• It's been awhile, but it's good to be back!
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 06:19:03 PM »

Mmmmm. I love warm egg salad. It was one of my favorite comfort foods growing up; Mom sometimes made it for my lunch.

It is still one of mine.....in fact, this thread has prompted me to go put some eggs on......should have some in about 25 minutes!   :)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 06:24:06 PM »

It is still one of mine.....in fact, this thread has prompted me to go put some eggs on......should have some in about 25 minutes!   :)

Me too!!!   Yummmmmmmmm!

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2007, 02:42:36 PM »
sometimes, instead of mayo and mustard, i mix crab (snow or king) and softened cream cheese into the egg yolks for deviled eggs and then top with a bit of parmesan.

i do laura's trick, too, of pricking the large end... it helps with peeling, and the egg shape is nicer without that flat end where the bubble was.

dawnfire

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2007, 10:36:44 AM »
as everyone has said use older eggs (this can be tricky for me as I have chickens and have to figure which are the older eggs. I have found they need to be a week or two old)

When ey're cooked ummedately under cold running water until they are peeled or cold to touch.

peel them by rolling them til you gat a soild crack around the egg. you should be able to find a membrane and peel away

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 11:27:13 AM »
I figured out where I got the fresh eggs idea.  Poached eggs are when fresh is better.