Author Topic: When you make hard boiled eggs ---  (Read 3599 times)

hollasa

Re: When you make hard boiled eggs ---
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 11:44:03 AM »
I found this REALLY NIFTY tip the other day for making hard boiled eggs, but I haven't got around to trying it yet!

Click here:
http://waitless.org/

And then click on See More Sprintouts, and you'll see "Quick Peel an egg".

Site probably needs flash, or something spiffy like that.

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2007, 10:54:34 AM »
dawbfire, don't you put your eggs in a glass of water and see if they float?  The older eggs are more buoyant.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2007, 11:12:55 AM »
My way to make HB Eggs is to put eggs in cold water and bring to a rolling boil, cover, turn off the heat, let sit for 20 to 25 min.

Run cold water over them, drain the pot and fill with ICE. run some more cold water in it.

let them sit untill the ice melts.

They will usually peel very easy. 

Of course there is always that ONE egg  !

I think that the Ice condenses all the leftover water into steam on the inside of the egg, and forces the shell away from the egg.

All I know is a high school "lunch lady" told me this one, and it works for me.
That's what I do, too, but only for 15 minutes.  It stops that green lining from forming.  I also add salt to the water...maybe a couple of teaspoons full.  I wonder if any of this absorbs into the eggs.  I've never noticed they are salty or anything.  I have mixed luck peeling them and can't figure out what the deal is.  I do them under cold water, though. 
Here is what Food Network says about all this:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_culinary_qa/article/0,1971,FOOD_9796_1702229,00.html
Sounds like a combo of what we all do here. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2007, 11:15:47 AM »
My way to make HB Eggs is to put eggs in cold water and bring to a rolling boil, cover, turn off the heat, let sit for 20 to 25 min.

Run cold water over them, drain the pot and fill with ICE. run some more cold water in it.

let them sit untill the ice melts.

They will usually peel very easy. 

Of course there is always that ONE egg  !

I think that the Ice condenses all the leftover water into steam on the inside of the egg, and forces the shell away from the egg.

All I know is a high school "lunch lady" told me this one, and it works for me.
That's what I do, too, but only for 15 minutes.  It stops that green lining from forming.  I also add salt to the water...maybe a couple of teaspoons full.  I wonder if any of this absorbs into the eggs.  I've never noticed they are salty or anything.  I have mixed luck peeling them and can't figure out what the deal is.  I do them under cold water, though. 
Here is what Food Network says about all this:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_culinary_qa/article/0,1971,FOOD_9796_1702229,00.html
Sounds like a combo of what we all do here. 

Thanks for the link! That link also links to a recipe for smoked salmon and dill egg salad sandwiches, which I'd love to try. :)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2007, 12:44:47 PM »
The reason for the salt is to raise the boiling temp. of the water.

I never minded one or two 'uglies' because of peeling problems.  Those are always put in a little bowl for family to snack on right away.  yeah, I know they taste better after melding, but they look so good. 

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2007, 12:30:37 PM »
Well, thanks to this thread, I was craving Deviled Eggs over the weekend, I combined some suggestions, - put a bit of olive oil in the pot w. the eggs, and put ice in the cold water after they boiled....I have to say I had the EASIEST time ever peeling these eggs!