Author Topic: Empowering the people ie Don't let the Teacher's Pets have all the fun  (Read 41759 times)

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
Re: Empowering the people ie Don't let the Teacher's Pets have all the fun
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2011, 01:06:07 AM »
I think you might be misunderstanding the problem, it's not about disagreement, it's about a bullish refusal to admit that there might be any other perspective to a problem. It's not the disagreement that is the problem, it's the lack of respect for other posters.

I dislike that as well Ė a poster will get irritated because the OP doesnít just automatically change their minds upon reading responses that they donít agree with. Comments like that just arenít helpful at all and lead the discussion into a downward spiral of snarkiness.

I don't think anyone expects or wants everyone to agree, or that every thread has to reach a consensus.  That'd be boring.  But I can think of a few times when the OP was behaving tantamount to sticking fingers in ears and yelling LALALALAICAN'THEARYOU, and that's childish and annoying. 

It's perfectly possible to acknowledge other viewpoints as valid, even if the OP doesn't agree, and it's useful to forestall the thread snowballing.  How many times have we all seen dogpiling occur when the OP refused to answer a seemingly simple question?  As painful and/or distasteful as it may be to acknowledge an opposing viewpoint, it's the mature thing to do. 

(Of course, sometimes when OP doesn't agree with an opposing viewpoint they get accused of not getting it, but that's a whoooole 'nother issue.)

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

DuBois

« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2011, 03:11:51 AM »
I think you might be misunderstanding the problem, it's not about disagreement, it's about a bullish refusal to admit that there might be any other perspective to a problem. It's not the disagreement that is the problem, it's the lack of respect for other posters.

I dislike that as well Ė a poster will get irritated because the OP doesnít just automatically change their minds upon reading responses that they donít agree with. Comments like that just arenít helpful at all and lead the discussion into a downward spiral of snarkiness.

I don't think anyone expects or wants everyone to agree, or that every thread has to reach a consensus.  That'd be boring.  But I can think of a few times when the OP was behaving tantamount to sticking fingers in ears and yelling LALALALAICAN'THEARYOU, and that's childish and annoying. 

It's perfectly possible to acknowledge other viewpoints as valid, even if the OP doesn't agree, and it's useful to forestall the thread snowballing.  How many times have we all seen dogpiling occur when the OP refused to answer a seemingly simple question?  As painful and/or distasteful as it may be to acknowledge an opposing viewpoint, it's the mature thing to do. 

(Of course, sometimes when OP doesn't agree with an opposing viewpoint they get accused of not getting it, but that's a whoooole 'nother issue.)

I think that sometimes ignoring is quite valid, though. The OP is not the only poster in a thread who is not owed vaildation: nobody posting here is. A lot of people say that 'the OP shouldn't look for validation' and neither they should. But then neither should people who are pointing out things. I think it's easy to forget sometimes that the OP is the one who knows the situation. I had a thread a while back where I got very frustrated because a few posters (NOT the majority) seemed determined that the situation was all my fault. I did interact, when I should just have ignored. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2011, 08:34:03 AM »
I often use my iPad to read ehell, and sometimes I accidentally hit the "report" option. I'm not trying to to report the poster at all - if I were I'd send a message as to why I was reporting them, and I do that sparingly.

I hope the mods don't think I'm a serial- reporter!

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2011, 09:09:20 AM »
I often use my iPad to read ehell, and sometimes I accidentally hit the "report" option. I'm not trying to to report the poster at all - if I were I'd send a message as to why I was reporting them, and I do that sparingly.

Nah.  It's the serial reporters who write ridiculous reasons for why they are reporting.  "If you change the gender, flip the person upside down, paint the room purple, this comment would be offensive."   

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »

Nah.  It's the serial reporters who write ridiculous reasons for why they are reporting.  "If you change the gender, flip the person upside down, paint the room purple, this comment would be offensive."   

It doesn't get reported unless we tap "Submit" on the report screen, does it?

I accidentally tap or click "Report to Moderator" almost daily. I'm pretty clumsy.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2011, 12:15:37 PM »

Good to know.  :)

Addy

« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2011, 12:04:59 AM »

It doesn't get reported unless we tap "Submit" on the report screen, does it?

I accidentally tap or click "Report to Moderator" almost daily. I'm pretty clumsy.

Oh, I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one to do this!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »
Me too. Hope we're not doing the equivalent of dialling 911 and then hanging up!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

AngelicGamer

« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2011, 02:16:37 PM »
Me too. Hope we're not doing the equivalent of dialling 911 and then hanging up!

I've done that.  They call you back and you politely explain that you were trying to dial a different number.  Now, imagine doing that in a hospital when you're trying to get an outside line -->  ::) at myself

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »

I've done that.  They call you back and you politely explain that you were trying to dial a different number.  Now, imagine doing that in a hospital when you're trying to get an outside line -->  ::) at myself

You are lucky. In my area they send a patrol car out regardless. Very embarrassing.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2011, 03:17:37 PM »
hobish - oh, dear, that WOULD be embarrassing!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2011, 03:19:41 PM »

You are lucky. In my area they send a patrol car out regardless. Very embarrassing.

My middle son did this when he was about 6 years old.  I think he wanted to find out what happens when you call 911.  He found out that they send out a patrol car and the policeman explains what 911 is and why its for emergencies only to the young boy who wanted to know.  ;)

AngelicGamer

« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »

I'm thinking that they have caller ID or something and knew it was the hospital.  For the other time, I think I just got lucky.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2011, 05:06:03 PM »

I'm thinking that they have caller ID or something and knew it was the hospital.  For the other time, I think I just got lucky.

It depends, the ones in my area have different policies based on who calls. Mistakes from the domestic violence office, got a patrol car no matter what we said. Mistakes from home, got a call back. Having talked to them, mistakes from numbers where there has been trouble before, get a car either way if they have time.

Makes sense to me. They send someone out if they think it will be needed, or there is a chance someone isn't speaking honestly.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
LOL, my child called 911 twice as a toddler.  It was a learning curve for us, I guess, but we learned to keep the phone out of his reach after the second time.    ;)  Both times, the dispatcher just called back to make sure everything was OK; evidently, it wasn't her first rodeo with a baby playing with a phone.    ;)  (I apologized profusely, BTW.)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical