Author Topic: Sad photo?  (Read 10288 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Sad photo?
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/10/kirk_cameron_birthday.html

This phit was publkished with the description of "very sad".  Apparently Kirk Cameron's birthday was not up to the standards of some people.  ALl I can say is that if this is very sad then some of my birthdays have been downright tragic.

Seven Ate Nine

Re: Sad photo?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:54:33 PM »
It looks sad to me, but it has nothing to do with the cake or the sandwiches.  There are three people in that picture, and two of them seem really emotionally distant while still being "there."  I may be reading too much into the picture though.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:57:16 PM »
The only sad thing to me is that this is worth commenting on at all.  Talk about a manufactured interest in somebody.  I don't know if it's just an issue of perspective, but the woman on the right (beyond the doorway) looked disproportionate. (Her legs seemed much too short.)

I suspect the photo was staged, and therefore find it of no particular interest.  If Kirk Cameron is so desperate to be in the news this week that he had a staged photo shot, c'est la vie.
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:01:37 PM »
The only sad thing to me is that this is worth commenting on at all.  Talk about a manufactured interest in somebody.  I don't know if it's just an issue of perspective, but the woman on the right (beyond the doorway) looked disproportionate. (Her legs seemed much too short.)

I suspect the photo was staged, and therefore find it of no particular interest.  If Kirk Cameron is so desperate to be in the news this week that he had a staged photo shot, c'est la vie.

I don't see anything to indicate he staged it, just looks like a run of the mill birthday to me.  I think that is the complaint of the news site, that celebrities shouldn't have such mundane birthday celebrations.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
I'm not sure when this was posted, but the link says this is from a ministry he was visiting.  It looks like something taken off facebook.  I'm pretty sure if he wanted to get on the news he would take other avenues available to him.

I question the purpose of this site in publishing it.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:29:38 PM »
It's kind of weird.  Were those 3 people going to eat all those sandwiches?  And the cake?

If not, why didn't they wait for everyone to get in there before lighting/ blowing out the candles?

Reminds me of the quote by Diane Arbus, "A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you, the less you know."

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 08:31:06 PM »
It's kind of weird.  Were those 3 people going to eat all those sandwiches?  And the cake?

If not, why didn't they wait for everyone to get in there before lighting/ blowing out the candles?

Reminds me of the quote by Diane Arbus, "A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you, the less you know."

There is somebody taking the picture so that would make 4 people, possibly more standing at the photographer's angle.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 08:34:30 PM »
Now the site says there were 10-15 people behind the camera  :-\  Not sure why that would be. "Let's take a picture, everyone get behind me!" That must be one big room.  But again, if all those people were behind the camera, why is that one lady in the corner?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 08:37:01 PM »
Did she think there would be a close up of him blowing out the cake instead of a long shot?

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 08:58:47 PM »

I don't see anything to indicate he staged it, just looks like a run of the mill birthday to me.  I think that is the complaint of the news site, that celebrities shouldn't have such mundane birthday celebrations.

Maybe we just run in different circles. Photos of my birthday never garner media attention. I had to Wiki who Kirk Cameron even was. If he's important enough to have a press presence at his birthday, it seems odd that the only evidence of the party is a tiny cake on a barren table with a few Subway sandwiches. If this is a photo taken by a friend/guest then either that is behavior Mr. Cameron finds acceptable in his guests or somebody will soon have bigger problems than how well someone provided for the party.
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Mom2PBJ

• Thoughts from a Happy Hooker
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 11:13:32 PM »
It looks sad to me, but it has nothing to do with the cake or the sandwiches.  There are three people in that picture, and two of them seem really emotionally distant while still being "there."  I may be reading too much into the picture though.

If you read further down in the story it does say that there were at least 15 people behind the camera when the picture was taken.  Besides, it was for his 41st birthday...he probably doesn't need the confetti, games and balloons anymore.

lollylegs

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 11:27:42 PM »
I'm not sure when this was posted, but the link says this is from a ministry he was visiting.  It looks like something taken off facebook.  I'm pretty sure if he wanted to get on the news he would take other avenues available to him.

I question the purpose of this site in publishing it.

If that's the case, then I think it's the opposite of sad. How lovely that they would put on a little celebration for him.

kglory

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 01:22:18 AM »
Kirk Cameron was a typical teen star in the 80's.  But since then he has become "born again", and he has demonstrated with his actions as well as his words, that he is no longer interested in the "typical Hollywood star" lifestyle and is primarily committed to his religious convictions.

So based on this, no, I don't think it's sad that he is not having a glamorous party.  He has the right to choose what to do with his life, and he has chosen living modestly and following his religious beliefs over pursuing fame. 

(Hope this does not violate any EHell rules -- I know religion can be a sensitive subject, but it really is the elephant in the room here, especially since it says the photo is taken at a ministry.)

The Ricker

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »
Kirk Cameron was a typical teen star in the 80's.  But since then he has become "born again", and he has demonstrated with his actions as well as his words, that he is no longer interested in the "typical Hollywood star" lifestyle and is primarily committed to his religious convictions.

So based on this, no, I don't think it's sad that he is not having a glamorous party.  He has the right to choose what to do with his life, and he has chosen living modestly and following his religious beliefs over pursuing fame. 

(Hope this does not violate any EHell rules -- I know religion can be a sensitive subject, but it really is the elephant in the room here, especially since it says the photo is taken at a ministry.)

This.  And "Vulture" is taking a potshot at Kirk with the photo.  But I'm roaring with laughter at the exactly 3.5 Subway sandwiches pictured.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 09:00:12 AM »
I agree. I think this says more about the reporter and the sad state of celebrity culture than it does about him. Why can't he have a quiet birthday if he wants one?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.