Author Topic: Sad photo?  (Read 9612 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: Sad photo?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 09:09:24 AM »
Oh, for heaven's sake. This looks like an office. Most likely he had a meeting that day and someone decided to throw a small surprise party for him. There's nothing that says this was his only birthday celebration--wonder what happened when he got home that night?

And even if this was the only celebration he had--there was cake! and people to share the cake with. Far from being the worst possible birthday celebration that I can think of.

Some of these "celebrity" sites are really having to stretch for their "news."
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

LadyL

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 09:27:35 AM »
I guess what would bother me is that it looks like a store bought cake and a typical lunch run to subway - not a party with any real amount of forethought. One of those "Oh it's so and so's birthday? Oh crap, I guess I'll run to the strip mall during lunch break and get something." Awkward moments like that, when people feel obligated to acknowledge an event to assuage their own guilt about forgetting it, are why I don't tell coworkers when my birthday is!

I guess for those who don't know about his religious conversion it seems a bit jarring that this example of 80s excess is having such a low key birthday affair. But otherwise not really notable given the context.

Betelnut

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 09:42:07 AM »
I've had birthdays where no one even said "Happy Birthday" to me, so I'll take a store bought cake.  (Not Subway though, I'm not a fan.)

Kirk Cameron is no longer a celebrity in my mind. 
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 10:17:01 AM »
I guess what would bother me is that it looks like a store bought cake and a typical lunch run to subway - not a party with any real amount of forethought. One of those "Oh it's so and so's birthday? Oh crap, I guess I'll run to the strip mall during lunch break and get something." Awkward moments like that, when people feel obligated to acknowledge an event to assuage their own guilt about forgetting it, are why I don't tell coworkers when my birthday is!

I guess for those who don't know about his religious conversion it seems a bit jarring that this example of 80s excess is having such a low key birthday affair. But otherwise not really notable given the context.

That would be what a lot of people would land on if they did put forethought into the birthday.  I had a friend who had Subway for for a rehearsal dinner because that was the groom's favorite place to eat.

LadyL

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »

That would be what a lot of people would land on if they did put forethought into the birthday.  I had a friend who had Subway for for a rehearsal dinner because that was the groom's favorite place to eat.

I live in the land of artisanal, local, slow, food. Sandwiches, cheese, cake, you name it. With that milieu of options it would seem odd to prefer a chain for a special occasion. However I've lived in places where chains are the best options and you do develop fondnesses for them so in that context it makes more sense. I guess most people would assume that a former celebrity would not live in a place where there were mostly chains because I associate that more with suburbs or remote areas. But as others have mentioned, he is definitely not living a celebrity lifestyle any more.

The Ricker

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »

I live in the land of artisanal, local, slow, food. Sandwiches, cheese, cake, you name it. With that milieu of options it would seem odd to prefer a chain for a special occasion. However I've lived in places where chains are the best options and you do develop fondnesses for them so in that context it makes more sense. I guess most people would assume that a former celebrity would not live in a place where there were mostly chains because I associate that more with suburbs or remote areas. But as others have mentioned, he is definitely not living a celebrity lifestyle any more.

If a church or church staff provided the lunch, money could be tight.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 11:43:56 AM »
My friends actually have plenty of fancier options than chains, DH actually prefers Subway.  Some people do.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 12:07:19 PM »
I keep looking at the photo looking for the "sad" part, but I don't see it.  It looks like a typical office party to me.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 12:07:30 PM »
My friends actually have plenty of fancier options than chains, DH actually prefers Subway.  Some people do.

I like Subway!  Doesn't bust the budget and it's tasty.  Nothing wrong with a low-key birthday celebration with a store bought cake and Subway sandwiches, IMO.  The office Mr. Cameron was visiting probably didn't know it was his birthday until he got there and it came out, so they put together a little party for him last minute.  I think it's sweet.

Addy

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »
It looks sad to me, but it has nothing to do with the cake or the sandwiches.  There are three people in that picture, and two of them seem really emotionally distant while still being "there."  I may be reading too much into the picture though.

Those two "emotionally distant" people look to me like they are trying to avoid being in the photo. You know, kind of standing off to the side, out of the way, to let the birthday person take the limelight.

I am envisioning a scenario where Kirk just came through the door to a surprise party and the woman on the left was the lookout, and the woman on the right was a little late, so she was hanging back while the candles were blown out.  ;D

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
I think I agree Addy. I don't see anything "sad" about the picture. I think the Hollywood gossip website is just trying to "stir the pot".

Ed.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 05:43:50 PM »
It says there were 10-15 non pictured people there.  Seems to me a low profile, ministry party to me.  I don't see the sad.
93 93/93

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »
I don't find it sad either.  I think it's nicer than sponsored parties with hundreds of people and paparazzi you don't even know and where the celebrities are paid to show up for their own birthday.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »
The woman in the doorway looks sad and the other woman doesn't look very happy. There are no decorations or party guests and the cake is not impressive, looks like a $7 grocery store item. I'd say the "sad" description is apt.

p.s.
I have no prejudice against grocery store cakes and would eat one but it's just not a very special or pretty cake.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 07:19:03 PM »
The woman in the doorway looks sad and the other woman doesn't look very happy. There are no decorations or party guests and the cake is not impressive, looks like a $7 grocery store item. I'd say the "sad" description is apt.

p.s.
I have no prejudice against grocery store cakes and would eat one but it's just not a very special or pretty cake.

do adults usually have decorations?  I can't say that it is common in my experience.