Author Topic: Sad photo?  (Read 9227 times)

jillybean

• Rise and whine
Re: Sad photo?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2011, 07:27:59 PM »
This photo is like a Rorschach test.  I just see a run-of-the-mill office birthday party.  If the birthday boy hadn't been a formerly famous teen idol, I wouldn't think twice about it.  I guess that's what makes it interesting.  It's so everyday, real life.
Texas

KimberlyRose

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 11:55:38 PM »
There are no decorations or party guests and the cake is not impressive, looks like a $7 grocery store item. I'd say the "sad" description is apt.

The other people present at behind the photographers, and who decorates for an adult's non-milestone birthday?  Cake is cake, whether it came from a grocery store or not, no matter how much or how little it costs.  I certainly hope no one commenting on the small cake goes into their own birthdays figuring out how much the cake cost and determining its value based on finances rather than the intent and caring behind it.

I imagine Mr. Cameron appreciated that people took the time to bring in a cake and sandwiches to celebrate his birthday.  What I find sad is that because it wasn't a huge cake and gourmet food, people think it's somehow not a real show of caring and friendship.

minky

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 03:21:31 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks that the guy in the picture doesn't even look like Kirk Cameron.  Maybe because his head is down -- I do have trouble recognizing people when their faces are not upright.

I don't think he looks sad.  It must have been a slow tabloid news day for that site.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 03:25:54 AM »
The woman in the doorway looks sad and the other woman doesn't look very happy. There are no decorations or party guests and the cake is not impressive, looks like a $7 grocery store item. I'd say the "sad" description is apt.

p.s.
I have no prejudice against grocery store cakes and would eat one but it's just not a very special or pretty cake.

It looks to me like a very typical 'office party' kind of cake. You don't usually get huge elaborate cakes or streamers for an office party.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

AlwaysQuizzical

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 04:44:34 AM »
I think the sad label applies because it looks like they got a lot of food and cake, yet only 4 people came to the party. I know the webpage says there were more people behind the camera, but when you only look at the image it seems like he had a party and no one showed up. Which would be sad for anyone, but makes news if they're a celebrity.

Just like reality tv, photos can express things that aren't there. I've seen photos of myself laughing and looked terrified for some reason.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 08:04:31 AM »
I guess what would bother me is that it looks like a store bought cake and a typical lunch run to subway - not a party with any real amount of forethought. One of those "Oh it's so and so's birthday? Oh crap, I guess I'll run to the strip mall during lunch break and get something." Awkward moments like that, when people feel obligated to acknowledge an event to assuage their own guilt about forgetting it, are why I don't tell coworkers when my birthday is!

I guess for those who don't know about his religious conversion it seems a bit jarring that this example of 80s excess is having such a low key birthday affair. But otherwise not really notable given the context.

That would be what a lot of people would land on if they did put forethought into the birthday.  I had a friend who had Subway for for a rehearsal dinner because that was the groom's favorite place to eat.

I live in the land of artisanal, local, slow, food. Sandwiches, cheese, cake, you name it. With that milieu of options it would seem odd to prefer a chain for a special occasion. However I've lived in places where chains are the best options and you do develop fondnesses for them so in that context it makes more sense. I guess most people would assume that a former celebrity would not live in a place where there were mostly chains because I associate that more with suburbs or remote areas. But as others have mentioned, he is definitely not living a celebrity lifestyle any more.

That kind of food may not be available in that area, and/or the local people might prefer chain food. I know when we visit DH's family, when we eat out, it's at chains. The Olive Garden is as nice as it gets. There are hardly any local food places anymore, and people don't patronize the ones that exist.

The photo didn't look sad to me, I personally would be pleased if someone thought to pick up cake and sandwiches for my visit on my birthday - I'm well into adulthood, so the time when I expected more is long past.

One thing, though - I remember from my teenage fanzine-reading years that Kirk Cameron strictly avoided sugar (though whether it was for health or religious purposes, I don't recall). I wonder if he still is? That would amaze me!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 06:09:53 PM »
Like several others, I think it just look like a typical office party, not a big bash where friends and family are invited.  The man has a wife and six kids.  If he celebrates his birthday, I don't think it would be a sad one with a poor turnout.

As for the  small cake, I would have happy with that.  Office cakes always have so much leftover and it's such a waste.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 07:42:29 PM »
I think the sad label applies because it looks like they got a lot of food and cake, yet only 4 people came to the party. I know the webpage says there were more people behind the camera, but when you only look at the image it seems like he had a party and no one showed up. Which would be sad for anyone, but makes news if they're a celebrity.

Just like reality tv, photos can express things that aren't there. I've seen photos of myself laughing and looked terrified for some reason.

Yes, I think its just a funny picture.  It looks a bit sad, but I am sure it is not a acurate comment on Mr. Cameron's life. 

Although I admit to still thinking its a little strange.  If there only 4 people there, that's way too much food. If there were 15, its no where near enough....

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 08:04:20 PM »
Not sad. The two women are clearly trying to avoid being in the photo. There's probably another shot (or two or three) of the same scene with the birthday boy close up or cropped.

Clearly this appears to be an impromptu birthday celebration at an office, possibly after some type of meeting. As for the 10-15 people supposedly behind the camera - it's entirely possible they hadn't finished setting out all of the sandwiches yet.

I can't see anything sad about it.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2011, 08:45:55 PM »
So apparently he was visiting some church as part of the religious activity/ministry he is now involved in. Someone found out it was his birthday and decided it called for a celebration. Something they probably wouldn't do if their visitor was Pastor Joe Schmoe from across town, or for that matter, Mr. Cameron's agent, coming to arrange an appearance by him at a later date. But because he is a celebrity and they are fond of him* they wanted to do a little something for the occasion.

The people standing behind the photographer, or off to the sides, were probably trying to stay out of the picture because they would think it rude to try sharing the limelight with him. That's not sad, that's extremely polite of them!

*Kirk Cameron is still a star in a certain niche of Christian entertainment. It is disingenuous of that website to paint him as a washed-up celebrity when he still has a following, just because it's not the sort of following that comes from being a teen heartthrob on network TV.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Yarnspinner

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 12:05:33 PM »
Baglady, what you just said was so perfect.   The articles I have read which cropped up on my own homepage or in my email, seem to have been posted or picked up solely by sites that seem determined to mock certain faiths because....well, I have no clue of what to add after the "because".  I had been given to understand that it was HIS office, not a place he was visiting. 

I do not understand now, nor will I ever understand, the need to seek out the most innocuous of photos involving those of this faith for mockery.  If Mr. Cameron had been, oh, sitting in a bar with a babe on each knee claiming that these were his children's nannies....I could understand him being nailed for hypocrisy.   I could understand a photo of him sitting alone somewhere crying his heart out (although I would wonder why it was someone's business to post such a photo).  But mocking the photo of  a little office party in a place that probably is short on funds but still wants to entertain one of its own?  That smells pretty desperate and simply mean spirited to me.

AlwaysQuizzical

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
I agree, but I don't know if they're specifically attacking him on his religious views, or just using his religious views as a way to attack him. I saw an episode of Dr. Phil where he addressed a tabloid claiming he'd been thrown out of the house by his wife. They used a picture of him looking morose and walking with a black gym bag towards the car. Yeah, he was going to the gym! Misusing pictures of celebrities with one second of unhappiness on their face to claim their life has been ruined is par for the course with tabloids.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 01:44:16 PM »
It looks sad to me, but it has nothing to do with the cake or the sandwiches.  There are three people in that picture, and two of them seem really emotionally distant while still being "there."  I may be reading too much into the picture though.

I got the same thing from it. If asked to describe the picture without knowing any details of who it was or where it was “melancholy” would probably have been in there somewhere. The overall feel of the picture has a bit of loneliness about it, I think. Knowing what it is I have to wonder if it was crafted that way on purpose.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 01:46:35 PM »
Ha, I never knew that Kirk Cameron had been a child star (I never saw Growing Pains).  I love some of his recent stuff, so I think of him as more of a small time, recent actor because I didn't realize he'd done big stuff as a kid.  Funny how differently people can look at things, based on what they are aware of.

I don't think it's so much the small cake or the simplicity of the party items as it is the two women standing *far* back and looking somewhat morose.  The woman to the left looks like she's standing *behind* some boxes... am I misinterpreting that?  And the other woman being out the doorway.  The fact that the two people in the picture are standing so far back, and that apparently there were others at the party who are standing behind the camera, makes me think that this photo was meant to, for whatever reason, *just* show Cameron, and either it was an "oops," the cameraman figured on just cropping it later, or maybe Cameron started to blow out the candles before the shot was set up completely and so he just snapped, or something.  Otherwise I can't imagine why the women are so far away from him.

Also, the size and number of those sandwiches to me definitely makes clear that there are others who are at the party and aren't pictured.  Otherwise that's a lot of food for four people, at most two of whom are adult men.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »
Is this picture also sad?

Because it's the same picture, just cropped down to what, I think, they wanted to start with.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:41:54 PM by Judah »
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys