News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 06:26:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The word for the guy possibly with a pig's bladder on a stick?  (Read 6887 times)

cubemissy

Re: The word for the guy possibly with a pig's bladder on a stick?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
Could it be Harlequin?

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
One page said he is sometimes called the Squire.

Can you link to that one.  From my (limited) experience, the Squire is a different character.

If it is Morris-related and "Fool" isn't making the connection, then you probably have to find out which Morris tradition it is.  There are lots of village-specific morris dances and traditions out there.

If you like mysteries, and would like a touch of morris, try Ngaio Marsh's Death of a Fool.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

squeakers

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 08:14:17 PM »
One page said he is sometimes called the Squire.

Can you link to that one.  From my (limited) experience, the Squire is a different character.

If it is Morris-related and "Fool" isn't making the connection, then you probably have to find out which Morris tradition it is.  There are lots of village-specific morris dances and traditions out there.

If you like mysteries, and would like a touch of morris, try Ngaio Marsh's Death of a Fool.

google book link (huge) Start at paragraph that say "Most elaborate of all were the May celebrations.."  Also way, way down where it talks about Maid Marian/Robinhood it again calls him the Squire and also "the Cadi".

http://www.nevadaobserver.com/Reading%20Room%20Documents/May-Day%20Customs%20(1813).htm " Morrice-dancing, with bells on the legs, was common in Oxfordshire, and the adjacent counties, on May-day, Holy Thursday, and Whitsun Ales, attended by the Fool, or, as he was generally called, the Squire"

Reading more pages, the Squire is the dancer who directs everyone else now.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:51:44 PM by squeakers »
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

magician5

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 09:35:14 PM »
In Commedia Del Arte, the Arlecchino (Harlequin) character commonly used this prop, and it is said that medieval jesters used it as well.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

squeakers

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 11:19:35 PM »
What about the Lord of Misrule? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_Misrule and to get a bit more on him http://lastquartermoongathering.blogspot.com/ "They were accompanied by someone acting the Fool... named the "Lord of Misrule". The fool would often be dressed in skins and a tail, and carry a pig's bladder on the end of a stick"

The only festival type stuff to do with a bundle of straw I could find was the "crying the neck" and it did not involve a fool like person.. only a reaper (usually the eldest or whomever cut that bit of straw ie the neck).

Or maybe plough jacks? http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070105013649AAH7V0y
and http://www.folkplay.info/Texts/88sk99re.htm

""The Plough Jacks went round to each house on Plough Monday (the first Monday after Twelfth Night). The order of going was to have two ploughlines parallel, and short sticks between at intervals - to each stick a man, for the 'horses.' Then came the 'Waggoner' driving them, with a long whip and an inflated pig's bladder on the end of the lash - next came the plough, which they trailed: a plough without wheels and ready for ploughing. Having arrived at a house they demanded entrance civilly. If allowed in, they performed their play and were regaled with food and drink. If they were told to be gone, then they ploughed up the scraper, and a furrow or two in front o the house if the owner was objectionable. If the owner came out after them, he was set on with besom shafts, etc., that they carried ready for such emergencies. They went as far afield as 8 miles, and spent the whole night on the job, never ceasing until time for work in the morning."

(besom=straw broom)
"
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:41:43 PM by squeakers »
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Bijou

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 12:52:43 AM »
I would call him a pest, but from reading on the web, he seems to be mostly called The Fool. >:D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:15:54 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 03:18:01 AM »
I haven't got a clue what he would be called, but I am posting so I can follow the thread.  Now that you ask the question, I am quite curious to know the answer.  ;)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 03:17:18 AM »
What about the Basque character Zako Zar?
http://www.lonelyplanetimages.com/search/920014?keywords=character

Also "Dommit":
And while they dance, their mascot, Dommit, a unicorn with a real horse's head hollowed out, plays the fool and makes free with his characteristic pig's bladder on a stick.
http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Folk-group-day/story-12860574-detail/story.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:19:45 AM by Bethalize »

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 03:15:44 AM »
What about the Basque character Zako Zar?

I was convinced this would be the one. Is it not?

squeakers

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 08:08:36 AM »
I'm just bumping this up cos I am really curious as to which, if any, of these Fools is the one you were thinking of.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 01:50:00 AM »
Unfortunately I have had no "aha!" wakeups at 3 am or any other time.  None of the names is jogging my memory.  I'll keep trying to remember though because it's one of those annoying on the tip of the tongue things.

wheeitsme

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 10:27:02 AM »