Author Topic: Ignore Function  (Read 19397 times)

P-p-p-penguin

• Crazy... but that's how it goes
Ignore Function
« on: October 16, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »
Hope this is the right place to ask...

Before the forum upgrade there was talk of an ignore function being implemented; did that happen?  Because, if it did, I can't figure out how to use it!

SiotehCat

Re: Ignore Function
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 12:12:47 PM »
I think EhellDame said that other problems came up because of the upgrade and they were working on those first.

I was one of the posters waiting for it, but now I am not so sure.

I have seen a couple of threads where one poster is obviously ignoring another poster and it kind of makes me uneasy.

Miss March

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:18:42 PM »
The problem with the "ignore" button was that someone could set their account to ignore the mods, so they were looking for a way to fix that.

I hope they do provide that feature soon.

I have seen a couple of threads where one poster is obviously ignoring another poster and it kind of makes me uneasy.

If I understand it correctly, when one uses the ignore feature properly, then "Betty" can post a thread or a response on a thread and "Veronica" won't even see it- there won't be any awkwardness of someone openly ignoring another poster. Veronica would have no clue that Betty said anything at all, and vice versa.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
I thought it was working and I had just been unable to find it or use it.  ???

It seems like anything I add to threads just gets overlooked in the fray, somehow, I guess. I had actually hoped that was the case because I was thinking 90% of the forum members were 'ignoring' me....

SiotehCat

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:20:11 PM »
The problem with the "ignore" button was that someone could set their account to ignore the mods, so they were looking for a way to fix that.

If I understand it correctly, when one uses the ignore feature properly, then "Betty" can post a thread or a response on a thread and "Veronica" won't even see it- there won't be any awkwardness of someone openly ignoring another poster. Veronica would have no clue that Betty said anything at all, and vice versa.

Oh! That makes more sense. Thanks.

Miss March

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »
Just wanted to let you know that I saw your post, Amanda-Tig!  ;) You aren't stuck in some sort of "ignore" limbo.

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 12:25:57 PM »

Yes but if Archie replies to Betty's post and *quotes* it Veronica would be able to see that which I think could make it SUPER awkward.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 12:27:19 PM »

Yes but if Archie replies to Betty's post and *quotes* it Veronica would be able to see that which I think could make it SUPER awkward.

Or Archie could say, "Veronica, Betty already made that point - why are you going over it again?"

P-p-p-penguin

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 12:27:58 PM »

Oh I see.  Thank you for that, I hadn't realised.  That would be a bit of a problem, wouldn't it!

SiotehCat

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 12:33:01 PM »
I also wondered how it would work for whole threads.

If I started  thread, and I had Betty on ignore, she won't see any of my thread at all then?

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 12:37:07 PM »

If I started  thread, and I had Betty on ignore, she won't see any of my thread at all then?

If you have her 'ignored,' would you really want her to?

and thanks Miss March! i was worried I had forgotten to take off my Invisibilty Cloak

Miss March

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 12:38:14 PM »
    "Yes but if Archie replies to Betty's post and *quotes* it Veronica would be able to see that which I think could make it SUPER awkward."

"Or Archie could say, "Veronica, Betty already made that point - why are you going over it again?"

True, I have no idea how a third party could play into this! I suppose 'Archie' could make a mess of things. I've never actually been on a forum with an ignore feature before.

I think it's like on Facebook- if you have someone blocked, then they can not see any posts you put on your wall. So if you have blocked Betty on Ehell, she shouldn't be able to see anything you post- but I may be wrong in my understanding of how it works.

SiotehCat

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »

If you have her 'ignored,' would you really want her to?

and thanks Miss March! i was worried I had forgotten to take off my Invisibilty Cloak

No, I wouldn't. I was just curious if the whole thread could be hidden as it would mean that the posteres responding to me would also be hidden.

P-p-p-penguin

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »
I'm on another forum that has an ignore function.  If I put someone on ignore then I can see that they've posted but the text in their post is hidden.  I can click a button on their post to read it without taking them off ignore.  They can still see what I've posted and I can still see what they've written if they're quoted.  They don't know they are on ignore.  You can't tell if anyone has put someone on ignore because it isn't obvious in any way.

It works pretty well and makes my time spent on that forum much more stress-free. 

hardia

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 12:47:32 PM »
Another board I post on has an ignore feature, and it's not like hiding someone on Facebook, or having them disappear completely.  If you had me on ignore, you would still see that I had posted in a thread, but instead of seeing the content of my post you would see a message that said "This user is on your ignore list.  Click here if you would like to see this message, or here to remove the user from ignore."  If someone else quoted my post, you would see it in their post, but not mine.  If you have someone on ignore, it makes no difference to whether they can see your posts or threads, unless they also have you on ignore.

Also on that board, no one can ignore admins, and admins can't ignore anyone.

Ontario, Canada