Author Topic: Ignore Function  (Read 18984 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Ignore Function
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 12:49:25 PM »
I won't use the Ignore button. There are people I scroll past (but not Amanda), but if I am going to reply to a post, I do go back to read them just to be sure I didn't miss something really important and sound even worse than usual.

I'm on another forum that has an ignore function.  If I put someone on ignore then I can see that they've posted but the text in their post is hidden.  I can click a button on their post to read it without taking them off ignore.  They can still see what I've posted and I can still see what they've written if they're quoted. 

That kind of use would really solve my problem!

Germane Jackson

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 12:53:53 PM »
Another board I post on has an ignore feature, and it's not like hiding someone on Facebook, or having them disappear completely.  If you had me on ignore, you would still see that I had posted in a thread, but instead of seeing the content of my post you would see a message that said "This user is on your ignore list.  Click here if you would like to see this message, or here to remove the user from ignore."  If someone else quoted my post, you would see it in their post, but not mine.  If you have someone on ignore, it makes no difference to whether they can see your posts or threads, unless they also have you on ignore.

Also on that board, no one can ignore admins, and admins can't ignore anyone.

Sounds just like how it works on a forum where I'm on. You can put somebody on ignore but I believe the ignored person can still read your posts and might not even know they're on ignore. Admins and mods can't be ignored nor can they ignore posters.

It doesn't sound like the setup with this board though because if I recall correctly either the Dame or one of the mods said that the problem was that the ignore feature allowed posters to ignore the admins and mods and that isn't very good at all, so I'm not sure how the feature would work out on this board if and when they work out the kinks.

I never used it on forums that have had it and I don't see myself using it here. I'm good at skipping over posts that I don't want to see and don't give it a second thought.

O'Dell

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 01:35:09 PM »
I thought it was working and I had just been unable to find it or use it.  ???

It seems like anything I add to threads just gets overlooked in the fray, somehow, I guess. I had actually hoped that was the case because I was thinking 90% of the forum members were 'ignoring' me....

I've felt that way, and people on other forums have said as much...I think it's pretty common to go through periods of it. :)

There is an ignore function that works here. You can set certain boards here to be ignored. I put the more social boards on ignore  due to personal lack of interest and to save myself from spending all day here. Several threads recently were discussing some drama and I was puzzled until I realized that it was happening on boards that I don't read. Saying this didn't really fit those discussions, but I thought I'd throw it out here for anyone looking for a way to reduce their own exposure to that sort of thing. Now that I stick to the strictly Etiquette boards, ehell seems like a fairly calm polite place. It's only the Forum Announcements board that let's me know what's going on. :D

For anyone interested it's easy to get to: Profile > Ignore Boards Options
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 01:48:51 PM »
Hope this is the right place to ask...

Before the forum upgrade there was talk of an ignore function being implemented; did that happen?  Because, if it did, I can't figure out how to use it!

The Ignore function was briefly available when the board upgraded. There is even a thread somewhere around here discussing it (I'll see if I can find it for you). It was disabled because it was possible to ignore the mods and Ehelldame.

I used it for the short period of time it was enabled. When were were on Delphooey, there was an ignore button as well. Another board I post on has the ignore feature. When you have someone on ignore, their posts appear as collapsed; you cannot see the text. You are given the option to: (1) view the post of the person you have on ignore; or (2) take them off ignore.

You can't see the posts of someone you have on ignore unless someone quotes them. They have no idea they're on ignore. I don't know how threads started by someone you have on ignore works.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 08:21:06 PM »
    "Yes but if Archie replies to Betty's post and *quotes* it Veronica would be able to see that which I think could make it SUPER awkward."

"Or Archie could say, "Veronica, Betty already made that point - why are you going over it again?"

True, I have no idea how a third party could play into this! I suppose 'Archie' could make a mess of things. I've never actually been on a forum with an ignore feature before.

That's how it works. I found it really annoying when my forum demon would post nasty stuff, which I didn't see - but then someone would quote it, saying "Forum demon, you are a jerk, what is your problem?" and I would see that. And you can't say, "Hey, don't quote so-and-so, I'm ignoring her," obviously.

Glaceon

• Pokemon Trainer
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 08:43:03 PM »
I would be all for such a feature.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 11:19:30 PM »
This is how I see it - Annoying posters are a test of our strengths.

We are all here because we are interested in etiquette, if we could apply everything we learn here we would be the most polite but firm people in the world.  Dealing with annoying people is unfortunately part of life, and in the real world we can either ignore or politely speak out to annoying folks and there is no reason we can't continue to do that here too.

If a poster here angers you (general you) so much every time they post, then I think you (general you) should investigate why.  Is it their posting style? Do they remind you of someone in real life? Do they have a differing belief system? etc 

Once you (general you again) have a clear idea of what it is, you can learn more about yourself (which is always useful) and it can diminish some of the "annoyance factor" of that poster.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:22:14 PM by MsMarjorie »

Spoder

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 11:46:20 PM »
This is how I see it - Annoying posters are a test of our strengths.

We are all here because we are interested in etiquette, if we could apply everything we learn here we would be the most polite but firm people in the world.  Dealing with annoying people is unfortunately part of life, and in the real world we can either ignore or politely speak out to annoying folks and there is no reason we can't continue to do that here too.

If a poster here angers you (general you) so much every time they post, then I think you (general you) should investigate why.  Is it their posting style? Do they remind you of someone in real life? Do they have a differing belief system? etc 

Once you (general you again) have a clear idea of what it is, you can learn more about yourself (which is always useful) and it can diminish some of the "annoyance factor" of that poster.

Well said.

Frankly, all this talk about how annoying some posters are, is making me paranoid. I don't know what is required or expected on this forum anymore. I've never had a PM from another poster telling me that I'm bothering them, nor have I ever been admonished by the mods. Yet in a recent (now locked) thread, the Dame herself said that I, and a few other posters, should not be complaining about disappearing threads etc, when we don't assist the mods by reporting.

I very rarely report to the mods because I think 99% of problems can be worked out in-thread, or through PM. And I thought I was doing them a favour by not bothering them. I really have very little clue how forum moderation works.

I wish people would just tell me if I tick them off. It's better than going along blithely, thinking you're all good when everyone wishes you'd go away.  :-\ Perhaps others feel the same.

Miss March

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 12:02:15 AM »
There is at least one user on this board who, if not a troll, is a major instigator, in my opinion. I will not hesitate to put that user on "ignore." I am really not interested in using that user's threads/comments as a chance to learn anything about myself. They offer nothing of use to me, whatsoever. I'm going to file them under "G" for "gone."

ETA. That sounds harsh. Really, I love this community and enjoy my time here. But I've encountered enough jerks on the internet that I have no patience for them anymore.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:07:49 AM by Miss March »
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Punky B.

• I prefer not to.
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 11:04:53 AM »
I was looking forward to the ignore feature- as it is I just scroll past the offending posters.  If they were to mention they had already addressed an issue I wouldn't see it anyway.  And if they were to PM me and ask, I would gently let them know.

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 01:34:22 PM »
Here is the thread in which the Ehelldame talks about the missing buddy/ignore lists

I can only speak for myself, but I only put people on ignore after careful consideration. I do it now by simply scrolling past their posts. It's not about learning from anyone, but setting boundaries.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 04:38:05 PM »
There is at least one user on this board who, if not a troll, is a major instigator, in my opinion. I will not hesitate to put that user on "ignore." I am really not interested in using that user's threads/comments as a chance to learn anything about myself. They offer nothing of use to me, whatsoever. I'm going to file them under "G" for "gone."

ETA. That sounds harsh. Really, I love this community and enjoy my time here. But I've encountered enough jerks on the internet that I have no patience for them anymore.

This is the way I feel, too. There are some posters like that on here, either that way to everyone, or to specific people. If I find that, then I do want to put them on ignore because there's nothing more than can be done.

I have found that if I just ignore them by not responding to their posts, I get called out for doing that, so that is another reason to use the ignore feature.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 04:39:30 PM »
Another board I post on has an ignore feature, and it's not like hiding someone on Facebook, or having them disappear completely.  If you had me on ignore, you would still see that I had posted in a thread, but instead of seeing the content of my post you would see a message that said "This user is on your ignore list.  Click here if you would like to see this message, or here to remove the user from ignore."  If someone else quoted my post, you would see it in their post, but not mine.  If you have someone on ignore, it makes no difference to whether they can see your posts or threads, unless they also have you on ignore.

Also on that board, no one can ignore admins, and admins can't ignore anyone.
T^his, on mt other favorite forum, with the exception that mods CAN ignore other members.  I have one on ignore there, a nominally adult male who makes every post into some sort of sexual innuendo.  Very Beavis-and-Butthead "Hehehe, I'm talking about sex."   ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »
Thank you to the people who have clarified how the ignore function works on other boards.

I have one more question about that: What happens if poster A has poster B on ignore, and B quotes one of A's posts? Would A see some notice that this post was quoting them, or would it be hidden just like any other post by B? The latter seems like it might set up some awkward situations, which would make it very obvious that A was ignoring B.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
    "Yes but if Archie replies to Betty's post and *quotes* it Veronica would be able to see that which I think could make it SUPER awkward."

"Or Archie could say, "Veronica, Betty already made that point - why are you going over it again?"

True, I have no idea how a third party could play into this! I suppose 'Archie' could make a mess of things. I've never actually been on a forum with an ignore feature before.

That's how it works. I found it really annoying when my forum demon would post nasty stuff, which I didn't see - but then someone would quote it, saying "Forum demon, you are a jerk, what is your problem?" and I would see that. And you can't say, "Hey, don't quote so-and-so, I'm ignoring her," obviously.

That's why I really don't care about having an "ignore" function - you (generic) would still end up seeing that particular member's posts when quoted by others.